Received my DVD writer today (NEC 3500) and I've run into a bit of a
problem with the installation.

On my PC I already have a normal DVD player. I installed the writer in
as master and set the DVD player as slave and connected them both to the
second IDE connector on the motherboard.

Now with this configuration my boot up slows down (takes far longer to
reach the Windows XP spash screen)
Also, only one drive is visible on Device Manager and My Computer.

I checked the bios and it finds both drives fine. Also it all works fine
if I connect either one on its own(windows also boots up faster)

Any ideas why I can't install both drives? I have a feeling it may be
that the Power supply may not be powerful enough. Could this be it or
some kind of settings problem

My system

Antec 380W TruPower
MSI K8N Neo Motherboard
AMD 64 3000+
2x512MB Crucial Ram
Sapphire 9800 Pro
Samsung DVD
NEC 3500 DVD-RW

OVS wrote:

> Received my DVD writer today (NEC 3500) and I've run into a bit of a
> problem with the installation.
>
> On my PC I already have a normal DVD player. I installed the writer in
> as master and set the DVD player as slave and connected them both to the
> second IDE connector on the motherboard.
>
> Now with this configuration my boot up slows down (takes far longer to
> reach the Windows XP spash screen)
> Also, only one drive is visible on Device Manager and My Computer.
>
> I checked the bios and it finds both drives fine. Also it all works fine
> if I connect either one on its own(windows also boots up faster)
>
> Any ideas why I can't install both drives? I have a feeling it may be
> that the Power supply may not be powerful enough. Could this be it or
> some kind of settings problem
>
> My system
>
> Antec 380W TruPower
> MSI K8N Neo Motherboard
> AMD 64 3000+
> 2x512MB Crucial Ram
> Sapphire 9800 Pro
> Samsung DVD
> NEC 3500 DVD-RW

Have you tried setting them both to cable select and/or installing them on
separate IDE cables?

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:53:32 -0400, Mitchua wrote:

> Have you tried setting them both to cable select and/or installing them on
> separate IDE cables?

Thanks for the advice Mitch. I'll try that tonight.
I've googled for Cable Select and it looks like I'll need a special cable
to use this mode.
For now I'll try setting the Hardrive(M) and DVD player(s) on the first
motherboard connector and the DVD-RW(M) on the second. Hope this works.

Thanks

> Do you actually need both? If you're copying from a (home-made) DVD you can
> rip it to HD first. Shaun

You're right, I don't *need* it. I'm not in a rush to get it sorted.

But it would be nice to have a secondary DVD drive which I can use to read
old and worn out discs and keep away any kind of grime and dirt my new
writer.