Can't install Win98SE or above

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2004 11:15:23 PM

System:

P4 1.6GHz Intel
Intel D845WN Motherboard
256M RAM
Radeon 7000 64M TVO
Sony CD-RW
Segate 40G HD

System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
upgrade to Win XP when problems started. He said that when the machine
went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
errors with the setup. He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.

I've reformatted the HD to FAT32 and tried to load Win98 SE, but the
setup routine cannot load the installation files, let alone go any
further. Keeps reporting that "SUWIN has caused an error." Even tried
error (DOS 6.2 runs fine).

I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
old DOS OS.

Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm fresh out.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

More about : install win98se

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2004 11:19:44 PM

.. wrote:

> System:
>
> P4 1.6GHz Intel
> Intel D845WN Motherboard
> 256M RAM
> Radeon 7000 64M TVO
> Sony CD-RW
> Segate 40G HD
>
> System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
> upgrade to Win XP when problems started. He said that when the machine
> went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
> errors with the setup. He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
> ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
> and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
> started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.
>
> I've reformatted the HD to FAT32 and tried to load Win98 SE, but the
> setup routine cannot load the installation files, let alone go any
> further. Keeps reporting that "SUWIN has caused an error." Even tried
> error (DOS 6.2 runs fine).
>
> I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
> card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
> supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
> HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
> absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
> old DOS OS.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm fresh out.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Looking at what's been tried I'd suggest you have either a faulty CD-Drive
or a hard drive with surface errors.

For example, you loaded DOS from floppy, right? Didn't use the CD and DOS
is so small it might fit before you ran into bad sectors on the hard drive.

Boot your win98se rescue disk and run a full surface scan on the hard
drive. If it has lots of errors then you probably need a new drive.

If it passes the surface scan then try a win98 install, since it's faster,
by copying the win98se directory on the CD to a win98se directory on the
hard drive and invoke setup (c:\win98se\setup.exe) from the hard drive. If
you can't even get the files to copy over then you may have a defective
CD-Drive (or master/slave misjumpered, or a bad cable, etc.).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2004 3:48:25 AM

This might help.

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/suwin.htm

I've also had trouble due to bad CDROMs more than once. Just a thought.

"." <hsorensen@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> P4 1.6GHz Intel
> Intel D845WN Motherboard
> 256M RAM
> Radeon 7000 64M TVO
> Sony CD-RW
> Segate 40G HD
>
> System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
> upgrade to Win XP when problems started. He said that when the machine
> went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
> errors with the setup. He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
> ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
> and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
> started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.
>
> I've reformatted the HD to FAT32 and tried to load Win98 SE, but the
> setup routine cannot load the installation files, let alone go any
> further. Keeps reporting that "SUWIN has caused an error." Even tried
> error (DOS 6.2 runs fine).
>
> I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
> card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
> supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
> HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
> absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
> old DOS OS.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm fresh out.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2004 8:03:13 AM

Another thought under the "check the simple/little things first"; check your
OS CD for scratches.

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
news:D N_9d.709$Bw1.231@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> This might help.
>
> http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/suwin.htm
>
> I've also had trouble due to bad CDROMs more than once. Just a thought.
>

> "." <hsorensen@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
>> System:
>>
>> P4 1.6GHz Intel
>> Intel D845WN Motherboard
>> 256M RAM
>> Radeon 7000 64M TVO
>> Sony CD-RW
>> Segate 40G HD
>>
>> System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
>> upgrade to Win XP when problems started. He said that when the machine
>> went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
>> errors with the setup. He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
>> ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
>> and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
>> started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.
>>
>> I've reformatted the HD to FAT32 and tried to load Win98 SE, but the
>> setup routine cannot load the installation files, let alone go any
>> further. Keeps reporting that "SUWIN has caused an error." Even tried
>> error (DOS 6.2 runs fine).
>>
>> I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
>> card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
>> supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
>> HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
>> absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
>> old DOS OS.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm fresh out.
>>
>> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

October 11, 2004 1:09:40 PM

Pretty confident that the original HD is good. Ran a "Deep Scan" on it
w/Spin Rite and no errors showed up. I even tried using a different HD
-- again after performing a "Deep Scan" w/Spin Rite and still the same
problems.

As to the install of Win 98, I FDisk-ed, formatted and copied the
Win98SE filesoff the CD to the HD than ran the install off the HD.

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:19:44 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>. wrote:
>
>> System:
>>
>> P4 1.6GHz Intel
>> Intel D845WN Motherboard
>> 256M RAM
>> Radeon 7000 64M TVO
>> Sony CD-RW
>> Segate 40G HD
>>
>> System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
>> upgrade to Win XP when problems started. He said that when the machine
>> went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
>> errors with the setup. He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
>> ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
>> and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
>> started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.
>>
>> I've reformatted the HD to FAT32 and tried to load Win98 SE, but the
>> setup routine cannot load the installation files, let alone go any
>> further. Keeps reporting that "SUWIN has caused an error." Even tried
>> error (DOS 6.2 runs fine).
>>
>> I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
>> card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
>> supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
>> HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
>> absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
>> old DOS OS.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm fresh out.
>>
>> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>
>Looking at what's been tried I'd suggest you have either a faulty CD-Drive
>or a hard drive with surface errors.
>
>For example, you loaded DOS from floppy, right? Didn't use the CD and DOS
>is so small it might fit before you ran into bad sectors on the hard drive.
>
>Boot your win98se rescue disk and run a full surface scan on the hard
>drive. If it has lots of errors then you probably need a new drive.
>
>If it passes the surface scan then try a win98 install, since it's faster,
>by copying the win98se directory on the CD to a win98se directory on the
>hard drive and invoke setup (c:\win98se\setup.exe) from the hard drive. If
>you can't even get the files to copy over then you may have a defective
>CD-Drive (or master/slave misjumpered, or a bad cable, etc.).

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2004 1:09:41 PM

.. wrote:

> Pretty confident that the original HD is good. Ran a "Deep Scan" on it
> w/Spin Rite and no errors showed up. I even tried using a different HD
> -- again after performing a "Deep Scan" w/Spin Rite and still the same
> problems.
>
> As to the install of Win 98, I FDisk-ed, formatted and copied the
> Win98SE filesoff the CD to the HD than ran the install off the HD.

I presume the install worked... so what was broke before? ;)

> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:19:44 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>. wrote:
>>

>>>System:
>>>
>>>P4 1.6GHz Intel
>>>Intel D845WN Motherboard
>>>256M RAM
>>>Radeon 7000 64M TVO
>>>Sony CD-RW
>>>Segate 40G HD
>>>
>>>System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
>>>upgrade to Win XP when problems started. He said that when the machine
>>>went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
>>>errors with the setup. He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
>>>ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
>>>and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
>>>started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.
>>>
>>>I've reformatted the HD to FAT32 and tried to load Win98 SE, but the
>>>setup routine cannot load the installation files, let alone go any
>>>further. Keeps reporting that "SUWIN has caused an error." Even tried
>>>error (DOS 6.2 runs fine).
>>>
>>>I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
>>>card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
>>>supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
>>>HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
>>>absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
>>>old DOS OS.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm fresh out.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>>
>>Looking at what's been tried I'd suggest you have either a faulty CD-Drive
>>or a hard drive with surface errors.
>>
>>For example, you loaded DOS from floppy, right? Didn't use the CD and DOS
>>is so small it might fit before you ran into bad sectors on the hard drive.
>>
>>Boot your win98se rescue disk and run a full surface scan on the hard
>>drive. If it has lots of errors then you probably need a new drive.
>>
>>If it passes the surface scan then try a win98 install, since it's faster,
>>by copying the win98se directory on the CD to a win98se directory on the
>>hard drive and invoke setup (c:\win98se\setup.exe) from the hard drive. If
>>you can't even get the files to copy over then you may have a defective
>>CD-Drive (or master/slave misjumpered, or a bad cable, etc.).

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2004 1:25:15 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:09:40 GMT, . <hsorensen@neb.rr.com> wrote:

>Pretty confident that the original HD is good. Ran a "Deep Scan" on it
>w/Spin Rite and no errors showed up. I even tried using a different HD
>-- again after performing a "Deep Scan" w/Spin Rite and still the same
>problems.
>
>As to the install of Win 98, I FDisk-ed, formatted and copied the
>Win98SE filesoff the CD to the HD than ran the install off the HD.

You can rule out the cd-rom by copying the cab files to the harddrive and
installing from there. Makes it faster when Windows needs to add new
devices too. I used to use \windows\options\cabs as the folder for them
because a lot of OEMs used the same location.

Anyhow, I expect the suwin error means you've got a problem with the RAM.
Are you sure it's set up correctly? No overclocking, etc?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

I too transfer the files off OS CDs onto HDs then install from the HD. As
you point out, it's much faster. However, I've also had a few occasions
where the files transferred without error to the HD but it still would not
install off the HD (maybe 4-5 times in ~200 installations). Each instance
was solved by replacing the CDROM and re-transferring the files to the HD.
I can't explain it. If you have a spare CDROM, it's a quick try.

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:09:40 GMT, . <hsorensen@neb.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Pretty confident that the original HD is good. Ran a "Deep Scan" on it
>>w/Spin Rite and no errors showed up. I even tried using a different HD
>>-- again after performing a "Deep Scan" w/Spin Rite and still the same
>>problems.
>>
>>As to the install of Win 98, I FDisk-ed, formatted and copied the
>>Win98SE filesoff the CD to the HD than ran the install off the HD.
>
> You can rule out the cd-rom by copying the cab files to the harddrive and
> installing from there. Makes it faster when Windows needs to add new
> devices too. I used to use \windows\options\cabs as the folder for them
> because a lot of OEMs used the same location.
>
> Anyhow, I expect the suwin error means you've got a problem with the RAM.
> Are you sure it's set up correctly? No overclocking, etc?
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
October 12, 2004 2:19:34 PM

Just tried a different CD and still the same thing. Also tried running
the install direct off the CD with the same results.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:28:17 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com>
wrote:

>I too transfer the files off OS CDs onto HDs then install from the HD. As
>you point out, it's much faster. However, I've also had a few occasions
>where the files transferred without error to the HD but it still would not
>install off the HD (maybe 4-5 times in ~200 installations). Each instance
>was solved by replacing the CDROM and re-transferring the files to the HD.
>I can't explain it. If you have a spare CDROM, it's a quick try.
>
>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:09:40 GMT, . <hsorensen@neb.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Pretty confident that the original HD is good. Ran a "Deep Scan" on it
>>>w/Spin Rite and no errors showed up. I even tried using a different HD
>>>-- again after performing a "Deep Scan" w/Spin Rite and still the same
>>>problems.
>>>
>>>As to the install of Win 98, I FDisk-ed, formatted and copied the
>>>Win98SE filesoff the CD to the HD than ran the install off the HD.
>>
>> You can rule out the cd-rom by copying the cab files to the harddrive and
>> installing from there. Makes it faster when Windows needs to add new
>> devices too. I used to use \windows\options\cabs as the folder for them
>> because a lot of OEMs used the same location.
>>
>> Anyhow, I expect the suwin error means you've got a problem with the RAM.
>> Are you sure it's set up correctly? No overclocking, etc?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Cecil
>> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 8:09:43 PM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:15:23 GMT, . <hsorensen@neb.rr.com>
wrote:

>System:
>
>P4 1.6GHz Intel
>Intel D845WN Motherboard
>256M RAM
>Radeon 7000 64M TVO
>Sony CD-RW
>Segate 40G HD
>
>System originally ran Win98SE. Guy who had it before me tried to
>upgrade to Win XP when problems started.

This starts out peculiarly... why does one upgrade to XP, if
there were no problems UNTIL the upgrade to XP?

>He said that when the machine
>went to reboot during the upgrade, it would go no more. kept reporting
>errors with the setup.

Rarely a CPU overheating or bios setting problem, more often
memory errors. Incredibly a large percentage of users have
no idea if their system is having memory errors and simply
blames windows or _____ .

>He took it in to "Geeks To The Rescue" who
>ended up putting in a new Motherboard. After that they got it to run
>and u/g'ed the OS to XP. It ran fine for about 4 weeks or so, then
>started rebooting itself, never fully loading into XP.

Well, details of exactly what was going wrong would be
helpful. For example, simply reinstalling the OS is
somewhat pointless if there's nothing to suggest the OS was
the problem... it IS one step to try but ideally the other
factors should be examined first like memory, power,
overheating or fan failure.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129971

>I've disconnected everything except the FD and HD, taken out the video
>card and used an old Promise PCI card, swapped RAM sticks and power
>supplies with ones I know that work fine in other systems swapped
>HD's. I've updated the BIOS and disabled everything except what's
>absolutly need, yet nothing I do will let load anything newer than the
>old DOS OS.

Did you try clearing the CMOS first?
Also try underclocking the system.
October 13, 2004 4:39:00 AM

As to details, I'm just reporting what was told to me. Maybe the guy's
holding something back, I don't know.

Yes, I did clear the CMOS and went to default values. As far as
underclocking, there are no settings I can get to that will let me set
things slower, so I'm stuck with what the CMOS will give me in that
regard.

!