Which Computer Tool Kit should I buy?

ggg

I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

In article <V1cad.72343$Ot3.18678@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

Most PCs can be disassembled with with a 1/4 inch nut driver and a
small phillips screwdriver. After that, the sky's the limit.

I find a small flashlight and a magnetic pickup tool necessary.

If you want to see every possible tool get Jensen's catalog;

http://www.jensentools.com/

--
Al Dykes
-----------

ggg

Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <V1cad.72343$Ot3.18678@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
> ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.
>

> Most PCs can be disassembled with with a 1/4 inch nut driver and a
> small phillips screwdriver. After that, the sky's the limit.
>
> I find a small flashlight and a magnetic pickup tool necessary.
>
> If you want to see every possible tool get Jensen's catalog;
>
> http://www.jensentools.com/

Thanks!

"ggg" <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message

" I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
about which tool kit did/did not work for them? "

A #1 Phillips screwdriver should do the job, but I'd recommend one of these
for everyone:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PLAIN-0117&cat=CON

ggg

Cuzman wrote:

> "ggg" <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> " I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
> about which tool kit did/did not work for them? "
>

> A #1 Phillips screwdriver should do the job, but I'd recommend one of these
> for everyone:
> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PLAIN-0117&cat=CON

Thank You!

papa

About all that you will need is a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the
case, or part of the case, so that you can get to the drive. Some cases
don't even require a screwdriver. Ever done this before?

"ggg" wrote:

> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
> about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

Just use the tools you already have instead of buying a basket of junk labeled
"computer tools".

Jon

The best thing to do is take out a small and large thread screw from the PC
and try them on the screwdriver/head in a hardware shop before you buy. Make
sure that they both fit snugley. You need a relatively big head with a fine
point and trying the screws is the best way to get a good fit. Get a
magnetic screwdriver, it makes life so much easier.

Ian Boys

Papa wrote:

> About all that you will need is a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the
> case, or part of the case, so that you can get to the drive. Some cases
> don't even require a screwdriver. Ever done this before?
>
> "ggg" <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

I opened it up to install firewire (which I have yet to use since my
flash card reader then died.)

I have acomputer that really wouldn't hurt me if it crashed - would just
lose a bunch of bookmarks really so I'm pretty excited and not really
stressed about opening it up. Ideally, I could just detach stuff from
old computers and put them together in a new computer instead of copying
files.

ggg

Ian Boys wrote:
> The best thing to do is take out a small and large thread screw from the PC
> and try them on the screwdriver/head in a hardware shop before you buy. Make
> sure that they both fit snugley. You need a relatively big head with a fine
> point and trying the screws is the best way to get a good fit. Get a
> magnetic screwdriver, it makes life so much easier.

Yes, I'm going to get a magnetic screwdriver then. I've opened it up to
install firewire thingo and one of the screws flew off somewhere inside
the guts and I never found it.

I use a vacuum cleaner with upholstery brush attachment on the computer
exterior to get the dust. I think it's cheaper than and just as
effective as compressed air. Anyone else?

Thanks!

In article <kPAad.74254$Ot3.67053@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Ian Boys wrote:
>> The best thing to do is take out a small and large thread screw from the PC
>> and try them on the screwdriver/head in a hardware shop before you buy. Make
>> sure that they both fit snugley. You need a relatively big head with a fine
>> point and trying the screws is the best way to get a good fit. Get a
>> magnetic screwdriver, it makes life so much easier.
>>

>Yes, I'm going to get a magnetic screwdriver then. I've opened it up to
>install firewire thingo and one of the screws flew off somewhere inside
>the guts and I never found it.
>
>I use a vacuum cleaner with upholstery brush attachment on the computer
>exterior to get the dust. I think it's cheaper than and just as
>effective as compressed air. Anyone else?

Consumer Vacs can generate lots of static. A can of compresses air
doesn't.

ggg wrote:
> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer
> feedback about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

Most of the things in the commercial toolkits are rarely needed.

I find a phillips screwdriver and needle-nose pliers are the most useful.

I suppose an earthing connector is a good idea if you are prone to static
electricity.

John.

Bioboffin <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote:
> ggg wrote:
>> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer
>> feedback about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

> Most of the things in the commercial toolkits are rarely needed.

> I find a phillips screwdriver and needle-nose pliers are the most useful.

> I suppose an earthing connector is a good idea if you are prone to static
> electricity.

I find the plunger-claw grabbers to be very useful. A chunk of beeswax is
a good thing to have on hand too. Rub it into the grooves of a phillips
screwdriver. It's better than a magnetic driver.

--
David Griffith

hank

"ggg" <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

Geeezzz, the thought of someone opening up and working on there computer and
not yet owning or worse yet not even knowing what basic tools are needed is
a scary thought in deed!
GOOD LUCK!!

Hank

ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<V1cad.72343$Ot3.18678@twister.nyc.rr.com>...

> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
> about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

If you go to a real hardware store or an auto parts store, near the
cash register you should be able to find a swell screwdriver with four
sizes of tips (two Phillips, two flat"), and its hollow shaft may also
serve as 1/4" and 5/16" nutdrivers. You can magnetize it by
repeatedly stroking it one way against a magnet.

Computer tool kits are usually of poor quality and full of stuff
you'll never use, like a chip puller. I once got one for free, and
its chrome flaked off and its funny ratchting nutdriver/screwdriver
handle was uncomfortable to use.

ggg

Hank wrote:
> "ggg" <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.
>

> Geeezzz, the thought of someone opening up and working on there computer and
> not yet owning or worse yet not even knowing what basic tools are needed is
> a scary thought in deed!
> GOOD LUCK!!
>
> Hank

I used a rusty screwdriver older than me and the manual that came with
the firewire. The cd thing is a bit more ambitious because I think
there's this big belt involved (I haven't purchased the replacement
drive yet.)

Thanks for the helpful responses.

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:53:41 GMT, ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

Not too long ago, one of the Australian computer mags offered a
computer "toolkit" to every new subscriber. It consisted of a single
shiny Phillips head screwdriver. <sigh>

- Franc Zabkar

Phisherman

I bought a cheap $5 socket set that proved to be very helpful. It has
those weird star-shaped sockets that Compaq uses. I prefer to use a
regular screwdriver than mess with the socket, though. Other useful
items...

anti static wrist strap, I prefer the coiled cord.
regular Philip and flat screw drivers
small flat screwdriver
VOM or continuity tester
a case of various screws, standoffs, washers, etc
tweezers (great for moving jumper blocks)
magnifying glass
flashlight
auto inspection mirror
cable ties, various sizes
notepad and pen
various cords (cat5, phone, power, sound, IDE, etc)
can of compressed air
Book of complete (PC or Mac) repair
a satchel to carry all of this stuff

Phisherman

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:05:30 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"ggg" wrote:
>>
>> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>> about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.
>
>Just use the tools you already have instead of buying a basket of junk labeled
>"computer tools".
>
>Jon

Yeah, buy the tools as you need them.

wrote:

>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
>about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

The most useful computer tool I have is a long-shafted
magnetic driver with removable 1/4" bit. The following
isn't the brand or model I have but is at least an example
of one.

http://www.tecratools.com/pages/service/graphics/17265l.jpg

Take a computer screw(s) with you to the store when
auditioning a few to see if the magnetic tip is strong
enough to hold the screws onto the end of the bit, some are
better than others.

> About all that you will need is a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the
> case, or part of the case, so that you can get to the drive. Some cases
> don't even require a screwdriver. Ever done this before?

I use a little multi screwdriver with about fifteen different slot
and Phillips removeable bits. It's all I've ever needed working on
computers, or building my own. Came in its own little folding
plastic case. Very tidy.

>>I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer
>>> feedback about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.
>

> Most of the things in the commercial toolkits are rarely needed.
>
> I find a phillips screwdriver and needle-nose pliers are the most useful.
>
> I suppose an earthing connector is a good idea if you are prone to static
> electricity.

Come to think of it, a flashlight. I find a flashlight necessary
to do computer work. It's always too dark to see where I need to
see inside the case, or behind the case under the desk.

ggg wrote:

> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
> about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.
A few years ago after much time chasing down stairs to my shop, I found
a neat kit in a zippered case by "Fellowes" about 7"x9"x1.5" which
actually has almost anything I would ever need and then some, including
a flashlight. It cost about USD20.

Actually I have taken it with me when asked to troubleshoot small home
appliances also.

ggg

ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<V1cad.72343$Ot3.18678@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> I broke our cd drive and need to replace it. Can anyone offer feedback
> about which tool kit did/did not work for them? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone's advice. I didn't buy anything. Just opened up
the computer and removed the broken disk drive with a regular screw
driver (and replaced it with another dead cd player as a place holder
- the first disk drive wouldn't close after I hit it accidentally.)