Home network question

Paul

Splendid

I have an netgear adsl router (dg834) and a netgear wirless access point
(wg602), I also have a 2mb adsl connection. What I want to do is share the
connection with my two children wireless, what is the best way to limit the
bandwidth for the extra two connections, thanks.

Any suggestions

In article <41698146$0$59434$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, Paul
says...
> I have an netgear adsl router (dg834) and a netgear wirless access point
> (wg602), I also have a 2mb adsl connection. What I want to do is share the
> connection with my two children wireless, what is the best way to limit the
> bandwidth for the extra two connections, thanks.
>
> Any suggestions

You can't with the kit you're using. You'd have to stick Linux on a
computer and have them connect through that.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

shawk

"Paul" <paul@paul.com.invalid> wrote in message
>I have an netgear adsl router (dg834) and a netgear wirless access point
> (wg602), I also have a 2mb adsl connection. What I want to do is share the
> connection with my two children wireless, what is the best way to limit
> the
> bandwidth for the extra two connections, thanks.
>
> Any suggestions

Why do you need to limit the bandwidth? My two daughters are sharing a 1MB
ADSL connection here on a wired network through a DG834 and I dont see any
slowdown etc. Just want to understand. Shaun

Paul wrote:

> I have an netgear adsl router (dg834) and a netgear wirless access point
> (wg602), I also have a 2mb adsl connection. What I want to do is share the
> connection with my two children wireless, what is the best way to limit the
> bandwidth for the extra two connections, thanks.
>
> Any suggestions

To limit children's bandwidth, make sure that all computers are in
family spaces and not behind closed doors.

You have every right to have an idea of what they are using the computer
for.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <41698146$0$59434$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, Paul
> says...
>> I have an netgear adsl router (dg834) and a netgear wirless access point
>> (wg602), I also have a 2mb adsl connection. What I want to do is share
>> the
>> connection with my two children wireless, what is the best way to limit
>> the
>> bandwidth for the extra two connections, thanks.
>>
>> Any suggestions
>>
> You can't with the kit you're using. You'd have to stick Linux on a
> computer and have them connect through that.

You don't have to use another computer to control bandwidth. I don't know
about the netgear devices, but my Linksys WRT54G router has a QoS feature
that will allow selectable bandwidth limiting for any networked PC.
Additionally, the router will allow internet control (access on/off) of
networked PCs for user-defined times, days, etc. You can enable these
features based on MAC or IP address.

hxbarney@cap.rr.com wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> I have an netgear adsl router (dg834) and a netgear wirless access point
>> (wg602), I also have a 2mb adsl connection. What I want to do is share
>> the
>> connection with my two children wireless, what is the best way to
>> limit the
>> bandwidth for the extra two connections, thanks.
>>
>> Any suggestions
>>

> To limit children's bandwidth, make sure that all computers are in
> family spaces and not behind closed doors.
>
> You have every right to have an idea of what they are using the computer
> for.
Interesting point. I have 3 wired computers and a wireless router
(configured as a WAP) for a laptop. All wired computers are in open
spaces; hallway, kitchen and rec room. Monitoring kid use is easy.
Therefore no bandwidth limitations.

The laptop is for me and off limits to the kids.