Help building new computer

seth

This is the first time building a new computer on my own, and I was
wondering if everything listed here is compatible with each other and
if they are a good value.

Case:
KINGWIN Mutant X Silver/Gray Gaming Case With 420W Power Supply

Mobo:
ABIT "IS7-E2" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

Vcard:
CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "AA6800B1"

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4A GHz 533MHz FSB, Prescott Core, 1MB L2 Cache

RAM:
Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512

Everything else that's not listed I already have from my old comp.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Any suggestions on better
values would be appreciated also.

Seth wrote:

> This is the first time building a new computer on my own, and I was
> wondering if everything listed here is compatible with each other and
> if they are a good value.
>
> Case:
> KINGWIN Mutant X Silver/Gray Gaming Case With 420W Power Supply

If you don't know who makes the power supply and/or if it's not a reputable
company like Antec or CoolerMaster, then replace it.

> Mobo:
> ABIT "IS7-E2" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

Abit is always a good choice for a board. However, this board will limit
your expansion possibilities, as it only has 2 memory slots. For a couple
of $ more, you can get the AI7 that is much more board for the money.

> Vcard:
> CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
> DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "AA6800B1"

Personally, I'd either give up the extra money for the 6800GT, or settle for
the 6600GT, but that's my opinion.

> Processor:
> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4A GHz 533MHz FSB, Prescott Core, 1MB L2 Cache

Here's where I question this rig. You're spending for a board that supports
the 800MHz FSB, but equipping it with a CPU that's only 533MHz? Also, if
you're going to go Prescott, why not get the newer Socket T model based on
the 915 chipset and guarantee future upgradability? Last I heard, ATi and
nVidia both said that the currently latest generations of their cards will
be the last available for the AGP slot, so if the latest GPU tickles your
fancy, you'll be stuck.

If you're dead set on a socket 478 board, then why not run a Northwood
processor at the same frequency, but has the 800MHz FSB and runs cooler?
Generally, 2 processors, both at the same frequency, the one running on the
faster FSB is a faster processor. Also, Prescotts have shown to be slower
than Northwoods at the same frequency.

> RAM:
> Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512

Who? I've never heard of Rosewill. Why not a quality company like Corsair?
You get what you pay for.

> Everything else that's not listed I already have from my old comp.
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Any suggestions on better
> values would be appreciated also.

Value isn't always in the bottom dollar. You'll get what you pay for. A $29
case with a 420 watt PSU is nowhere near as good a buy as an Antec case
with a 430 watt Antec PSU for $100. Stay with well known, well estabilish,
quality brands and products and your build will go a lot smoother.

jk

Seth wrote:

> This is the first time building a new computer on my own, and I was
> wondering if everything listed here is compatible with each other and
> if they are a good value.
>
> Case:
> KINGWIN Mutant X Silver/Gray Gaming Case With 420W Power Supply

A gaming case? Do you plan to play Doom 3? If so, notice that a $150
Athlon 64 3000+(socket 754) beats an $815 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz EE
in Doom 3.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

The Athlon 64 chips are great performers overall.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

> Mobo:
> ABIT "IS7-E2" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

Get a socket 754 motherboard for an Athlon 64 3000+.

> Vcard:
> CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
> DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "AA6800B1"
>
> Processor:
> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4A GHz 533MHz FSB, Prescott Core, 1MB L2 Cache

If you want great value for a gaming system, buy an Athlon 64 processor instead.

> RAM:
> Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512
>
> Everything else that's not listed I already have from my old comp.
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Any suggestions on better
> values would be appreciated also.

For great value in a gaming system, buy an Athlon 64 processor.
It will also let you upgrade later to 64 bit software.

On 11 Oct 2004 14:52:25 -0700, Zeth22oc@yahoo.com (Seth)
wrote:

>This is the first time building a new computer on my own, and I was
>wondering if everything listed here is compatible with each other and
>if they are a good value.
>
>Case:
>KINGWIN Mutant X Silver/Gray Gaming Case With 420W Power Supply

Power supply in that is junk, not compatible with following
parts.

Case front air intake is poor, overly restrictive front
bezel compounded by poor front fan arrangement as mentioned
a few paragraphs further down.
..
Case side intake is sufficient for flow but due to
restriction in intake size the fan will have to run faster
(louder) for same flow rate.

The dual rear exhaust fans are a VERY poor arrangement.
If you use two fans, the stamped-in-metal grills should be
cut out. If you use two fans with the grills cut out then
the case structural integrity may be compromised due to thin
metal... would help to cut slits and "fold back" flaps of
metal towards the outside of the case, to keep it more
rigid, but it doesn't look as nice (if you are prone to
looking at the rear of the case a lot, some people never see
it for years).

With only one fan installed in rear, the 2nd fan mounting
needs the perforated holes covered to prevent passive
airflow though them, which will defeat the proper and
efficient flow of air, simply drawing in air right next to
the fan and then exhausting back out (and then in again in
circle), instead of higher percentage of intake from bottom
front of case as it should be.

The case front fan intake has a similar/same problem,
compounded by the overly restrictive bezel mentioned
previously. Again the intakes need cut out for two fans,
preferribly structurally reinforced "somehow" or for only a
single fan then the remaining front holes
plugged/taped/whatever (blocked) to prevent local
recirculation.

Essentially the case makes several design mistakes when it
comes to airflow, and while it CAN be modified to work
better it's really not a good choice.

The Kingwin fan(s) in it are junk too, loud and (since
they're one-ball + one-sleeve bearing design), they won't
last as long and can't be relubed without risk of greatly
increasing noise of the ball-bearing. Essentially it's one
of the worse possible fan combinations, but if airflow were
set up better as mentioned above, and fan RPM reduced some
with a controller, they might provide acceptible service
life, at least long enough that they don't need replaced
now, EXCEPT that the power supply fan is definitely a
liability NOW, should be replaced for safer use.

The motherboard tray arrangement is also a bit flimsy, it
would be advised not to life the case with gear in it if the
right-side panel isn't on, the tray might flex a lot and
damage the motherboard. This is true with a lot of newer
thinner-metal cases, but moreso with that one due to how the
tray is designed.

RIghtabout now you might be suspecting I'm not too keen on
the case... if you had it already it might be worth the
effort to mod it, but IMO, it's not a case anyone should
want to use given the other popular alternatives like an
Antec, or just about ANY case can be modded with no more
work than that one would take and have acceptible results.

>Mobo:
>ABIT "IS7-E2" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU
>
>Vcard:
>CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
>DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "AA6800B1"

Haven't tried Chaintech's 6800, but historically Chaintech
makes the worst cards out there, of any maker popular enough
to be a "brand". In other words, any other recognizable
name-brand card is probably better. Then again, if another
brand breaks the budget then Chaintech 6800 might be a good
gamble contrasted with settling for a 6600 instead.

>Processor:
>Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4A GHz 533MHz FSB, Prescott Core, 1MB L2 Cache

2.4GHz Prescott is a very poor choice. Choose CPU with 800
"MHz" FSB, and if 3GHz or slower you'd be better off
scouring the 'net for Northwoods which are faster on average
and use less power -> less heat.

>RAM:
>Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512

Generally speaking a P4 box can benefit more from better
memory, mid-grade name-brand is suggested (your favorite
brand). Even so, if you do settle for the lower performance
of a 533 FSB P4, the above memory should suffice.

Then again, it boils down to budget... the parts I"m
suggesting do cost more. The 2.4GHz CPU IS a mismatch for
the video card though, and the power supply is a poor choice
considering the video card too.

>Everything else that's not listed I already have from my old comp.
>Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Any suggestions on better
>values would be appreciated also.

IMO, and Antec case which includes at least 350W Antec PSU
is a better value, but if it's the "SL" series PSU then
preferribly at least the 400W version.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:01:11 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Seth wrote:
>
>> This is the first time building a new computer on my own, and I was
>> wondering if everything listed here is compatible with each other and
>> if they are a good value.
>>
>> Case:
>> KINGWIN Mutant X Silver/Gray Gaming Case With 420W Power Supply
>
>A gaming case? Do you plan to play Doom 3? If so,

.... LOL

jk

kony wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:01:11 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Seth wrote:
> >
> >> This is the first time building a new computer on my own, and I was
> >> wondering if everything listed here is compatible with each other and
> >> if they are a good value.
> >>
> >> Case:
> >> KINGWIN Mutant X Silver/Gray Gaming Case With 420W Power Supply
> >
> >A gaming case? Do you plan to play Doom 3? If so,
>
> ... LOL

He did choose a GeForce 6800 video card, which is something a gamer would choose.

seth

Ok I revised just about everything you guys said. The new list is
about the same price but I dropped the video card to something a lot
cheaper.

Case:
ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model
"SONATA"

Mobo:
ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket
478 CPU
(supports northwood and prescott)

Vid Card:
ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
8X AGP, Model "V9520/TD"

CPU:
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading
Technology

RAM:
Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

The only thing I'm real unsure about is the mobo. Like I said before
i've never built a computer on my own and just want my first build to
go rather smooth. Does this list seem a lot better?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:48:17 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net>
wrote:

>kony wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:01:11 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net>
>> wrote:

>> >A gaming case? Do you plan to play Doom 3? If so,
>>
>> ... LOL
>
>He did choose a GeForce 6800 video card, which is something a gamer would choose.

Yes but if all you're going to do is suggest an Athlon 64
that might as well just be put in a sig. It seems you still
TRY to find a reason to suggest an Athlon 64, to push them.
They are good CPUs to choose but there IS such a thing as
overdoing it.

Seth wrote:

> Ok I revised just about everything you guys said. The new list is
> about the same price but I dropped the video card to something a lot
> cheaper.
>
> Case:
> ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model
> "SONATA"
>
> Mobo:
> ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket
> 478 CPU
> (supports northwood and prescott)
>
> Vid Card:
> ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> 8X AGP, Model "V9520/TD"
>
> CPU:
> Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading
> Technology
>
> RAM:
> Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
>
> The only thing I'm real unsure about is the mobo. Like I said before
> i've never built a computer on my own and just want my first build to
> go rather smooth. Does this list seem a lot better?
There is not much difference between an i865 and an i875 chipsets except
money. I would just get the Asus P4P800SE. To take full advantage of
a P4 system you need DDR RAM in pairs. Corsair is pretty good. I am
not so sure that the FX5200 is that great a video card. It is low-end
at best. If you dont need a high-end video card then you dont really
need a top-end processor or motherboard.

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message

" Maybe something else could be worked out. "

I worked out that you want to spend somewhere around $600 to $700. I've
noted down a few recommendations for an Athlon64 system. With a selection
of the following, you would spend between $605 and $686:
---------------
Case:

ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model "SONATA"
http://snipurl.com/8ym6 $98.00

ANTEC Performance Plus Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "PLUS1080AMG"
http://snipurl.com/9q1x $114.00
---------------
Mobo:

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU
http://snipurl.com/9q35 $114.00

MSI nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 CPU, Model
"K8N Neo Platinum" (MS-7030) http://snipurl.com/9q37 $123.00
---------------
Vcard:

CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "SA5900X" http://snipurl.com/7uy3 $176.00

CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X
AGP http://snipurl.com/9q4k $195.00
---------------
Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor
http://snipurl.com/6bf9 $141.00

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor
http://snipurl.com/8x5h $164.00
---------------
RAM (all rated at CL2.5):

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 http://snipurl.com/9q2u $76.00

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 http://snipurl.com/8xm3
$79.00

Geil Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 http://snipurl.com/9q2y $82.00

Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 http://snipurl.com/8xm5 $88.00

OCZ Premier Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 http://snipurl.com/9q53
$90.00
---------------

On 12 Oct 2004 20:41:58 -0700, Zeth22oc@yahoo.com (Seth)
wrote:

>Right now my budget is about $600-700. As is right now i'm somewhere
>around $715. Gaming is a plus but i've been using a 3+ year old
>geforce2 for sometime. Just about anything that can perform better
>will make me happy. I dont need ultra great graphics just something
>that can perform well enough to get by.
>
>If anyone knows a better video card for about $100 let me know.
>
>The FX5200 is $83.99.

That's too much to pay for an FX5200, 128MB version can be
found on http://www.pricewatch.com for less than $50.

Better choices for under $100 include an FX5700, Radeon
9600.

>One more thing is Seagate a decent company for HDs?

Yes, good warranty (5 years) too.