TV Capture Card PCI card prevents BIOS

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 3:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I'm trying to build a home PC to use as a PVR. I have all the hardware I
need but the PC won't boot up when I put the AverMedia PCI TV capture card
in. You know how the LED on the monitor goes green at the start of the boot
up, well it doesn't even get to that point - I just get power on and then
nothing - no BIOS screen, just blank. The capture card works fine in a
different PC with no boot problems.

The mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-8I848E-L, the TV capture card is an AverMedia "TV
Capture 98", and I also have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 AGP video card in
there. I've also noticed that if I put a PCI video card in one of the slots
that causes the same problem, but if I put a PCI NIC in, the boot up is
fine.

Can anyone please help me as to why it's preventing the PC from booting up?

Thanks in advance,
Phill Edwards
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 3:33:14 AM

"Phill Edwards" <phill_edwards AT hotmail DOT com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to build a home PC to use as a PVR. I have all the hardware I
> need but the PC won't boot up when I put the AverMedia PCI TV capture card
> in. You know how the LED on the monitor goes green at the start of the
boot
> up, well it doesn't even get to that point - I just get power on and then
> nothing - no BIOS screen, just blank. The capture card works fine in a
> different PC with no boot problems.
>
> The mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-8I848E-L, the TV capture card is an AverMedia
"TV
> Capture 98", and I also have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 AGP video card in
> there. I've also noticed that if I put a PCI video card in one of the
slots
> that causes the same problem, but if I put a PCI NIC in, the boot up is
> fine.
>
> Can anyone please help me as to why it's preventing the PC from booting
up?

> Thanks in advance,
> Phill Edwards

Make sure the card is completely seated. Try a different slot.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 11:41:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Yeah - I tried every slot lots of time and was very careful with the
seating. It didn't make any difference :(

> Make sure the card is completely seated. Try a different slot.

October 17, 2004 1:30:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:33:13 +1000, "Phill Edwards" <phill_edwards AT
hotmail DOT com> wrote:

>I'm trying to build a home PC to use as a PVR. I have all the hardware I
>need but the PC won't boot up when I put the AverMedia PCI TV capture card
>in. You know how the LED on the monitor goes green at the start of the boot
>up, well it doesn't even get to that point - I just get power on and then
>nothing - no BIOS screen, just blank. The capture card works fine in a
>different PC with no boot problems.
>
>The mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-8I848E-L, the TV capture card is an AverMedia "TV
>Capture 98", and I also have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 AGP video card in
>there. I've also noticed that if I put a PCI video card in one of the slots
>that causes the same problem, but if I put a PCI NIC in, the boot up is
>fine.
>
>Can anyone please help me as to why it's preventing the PC from booting up?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Phill Edwards

Is the Avermedia a combo card? i.e. does it have video out for the
monitor?
If so then you'll HAVE to pull the Nvidia video card out, I run that
very same card in one of my NLE systems and can't run anything like
tha Avermedia or anything by ATI in a capture/tuner card combo.
(I tried installing an ATI 128mb all-in-wonder in mine with the same
results.)
And with my motherboard unfortunately I couldn't disable the AGP slot
so I was stuck with having to use the ATI card in another system.
All this damned planned obsolescence is a real pain.
!