Is the following a decent set up?

Greetings.

Is the following a decent setup?

Xtech Medium Tower Case
Antec TruePower 430 Watt ATX 12V PS
Asus P4P800 SE mobo
PNY 512MB PC3200 x2 RAM
Intel P4 3e GHz 800 MHz System Bus 1MB L2 Cache CPU
GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP Video Card
Pioneer DVR-A06U
Logitech Marble Mouse
Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Thank you.

--
Take care.

roadster3043
4 answers Last reply
More about decent

    Skip the Pentium 4 and get an Athlon 64 instead.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

    JK wrote:

    > Skip the Pentium 4 and get an Athlon 64 instead.

    Better yet, wait for the new Athlon64 chipsets coming out with PCI-Express
    support. Should be shipping by sometime next month.

    "roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message

    " Is the following a decent setup? "

    You're building a socket 478 system, but LGA775 or Athlon64 may well be
    better choice. Instead of building a system with little upgrade potential,
    you could build one for the same money with lots of upgrade potential.

    Looking at your shopping list, it seems that your budget isn't going to get
    you the best of everything. If this is to be a gaming system, maybe you'd
    be better off building an Athlon64. Socket 754 has some upgradeability in
    it, if you start with one of the following processors:

    skt754 Athlon64 2800+ http://snipurl.com/6bf9 $141.00
    skt754 Athlon64 3000+ http://snipurl.com/8x5h $164.00
    skt754 Athlon64 3200+ http://snipurl.com/8x5p $204.00

    Socket 939 will have much more upgradeability than skt754. Up until
    recently, the cheapest CPU has been the Athlon64 3500+ at $339.00 (
    http://snipurl.com/916t ), but now the skt939 Athlon64 3000+, 3200+ and
    3400+ are available. The ratil boxed versions will be available soon, but
    for now only the OEM versions are available:

    skt939 Athlon64 3000+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rz9 $190.00
    skt939 Athlon64 3200+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rza $235.00
    skt939 Athlon64 3400+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rzb $291.00

    The skt939 Nforce4 chipset is due to be unleashed on 19th October, and this
    will bring PCI-Express to Athlon64 motherboards.

    If you did feel it absolutely necessary to build a Pentium4, I would
    recommend an LGA775 system with PCI-Express. You'll see how the CPU prices
    compare with the older skt478 3.0E in your shopping list:

    skt478 P4 3.0E Ghz http://snipurl.com/70rk $189.00
    LGA775 P4 520 2.8 Ghz http://snipurl.com/9s3w $162.00
    LGA775 P4 530 3.0 Ghz http://snipurl.com/9s3x $185.00
    LGA775 P4 540 3.2 Ghz http://snipurl.com/9s3z $223.00

    As for your RAM, you didn't state the specifics of it, and PNY aren't the
    best brand anyway. If you are building a gaming system on an extremely
    tight budget, I would recommend using just 1x 512MB to start with, and
    putting more towards a better graphics card than an FX5200. You can get
    some pretty good CL2.5 PC3200 modules from respected manufacturers that
    don't cost much more than the cheapest stuff:

    Mushkin 512MB http://snipurl.com/9q2u $76.00
    Corsair Value Select 512MB http://snipurl.com/8xm3 $79.00
    Geil Value Series 512MB http://snipurl.com/9q2y $82.00
    Kingmax 512MB http://snipurl.com/8xm5 $85.00
    OCZ Premier Series 512MB http://snipurl.com/9q53 $90.00

    The Athlon64 won't see DDR2 for a while yet, as its on-die memory controller
    can still make good use of DDR. However, the LGA775 motherboards are
    starting to use it, some of them exclusively. If you did opt for an LGA775
    system, perhaps it would be best to get a motherboard supporting both DDR
    and DDR2, for upgrade potential.

    As for your graphics card, the 'normal' 128-bit FX5200 is a poor card, and
    the 64-bit version is even worse. You can compare the gaming performance of
    a number of cards in the following two articles:

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/

    PCI-Express graphics cards are now available, and compatible motherboards
    offer much more upgrade potential than their AGP counterparts. I'd
    recommend incorporating PCI-Express into any new build, as even
    bottom-of-the-range cards are available. The Radeon X300SE can be had for
    $69 ( http://snipurl.com/9s4l ), and the GeForce PCX5300 can be had for $92
    ( http://snipurl.com/9s49 ). Both of these are around the same price range
    as a 128-bit AGP FX5200.

    "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in

    <snip>

    Thank you Cuzman for the info and links.

    --
    Take care.

    roadster3043

Homebuilt Systems