AMD upgrade

Hi at the moment i have the following:

Athlon xp 3200+ cpu
768mb ddr 400 ram
asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
geforce 6800nu gfx
plextor dvdrw
hdds etc

Is it going to be worth it for me to replace the xp3200+ and the
motherboard with another asus amd64 motherboard ( not sure which one
yet ) and either a amd64 2800+ or a 3000+. Would i notice much of a
difference in speed to my current setup, bearing in mind that the +
ratings are both less than my present xp chip? also if i get the 3000+
should it get the socket 754 version or 939 version?

thanks

paul
12 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    What software do you run? For business software, an Athlon 64 3000+
    performs not that differently from an Athlon XP3200+. For many games,
    an Athlon 64 3000+ will show a tremendous performance improvement
    over an Athlon XP3200+. That is especially true since you have a good
    video card.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

    The on chip memory controller(s) improve performance tremendously
    for high bandwidth applications. The Athlon 64 also adds SSE2
    support. Of course with an Athlon 64, you will be able to run 64 bit
    software(even side by side with 32 bit software) after you install
    a 64 bit operating system.

    "me!!" wrote:

    > Hi at the moment i have the following:
    >
    > Athlon xp 3200+ cpu
    > 768mb ddr 400 ram
    > asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
    > geforce 6800nu gfx
    > plextor dvdrw
    > hdds etc
    >
    > Is it going to be worth it for me to replace the xp3200+ and the
    > motherboard with another asus amd64 motherboard ( not sure which one
    > yet ) and either a amd64 2800+ or a 3000+. Would i notice much of a
    > difference in speed to my current setup, bearing in mind that the +
    > ratings are both less than my present xp chip? also if i get the 3000+
    > should it get the socket 754 version or 939 version?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > paul

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:21:36 GMT, me!!
    <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi at the moment i have the following:
    >
    >Athlon xp 3200+ cpu
    >768mb ddr 400 ram
    >asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
    >geforce 6800nu gfx
    >plextor dvdrw
    >hdds etc
    >
    >Is it going to be worth it for me to replace the xp3200+ and the
    >motherboard with another asus amd64 motherboard ( not sure which one
    >yet ) and either a amd64 2800+ or a 3000+. Would i notice much of a
    >difference in speed to my current setup, bearing in mind that the +
    >ratings are both less than my present xp chip? also if i get the 3000+
    >should it get the socket 754 version or 939 version?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >paul

    If you're the type of person that HAS to upgrade whole box
    every year, maybe it's "time", but otherwise the performance
    difference isn't worthwhile _enough_, better to wait for
    nForce4 to mature a bit.

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

    " For many games, an Athlon 64 3000+ will show a tremendous performance
    improvement over an Athlon XP3200+. That is especially true since you have a
    good video card. "

    The skt754 Athlon64 2800+ and 3000+ might out-perform the XP 3200+ a little
    in Doom3, but they will be a little slower in some other benchmarks. I
    don't think it's worth the effort upgrading to skt754, now that the skt939
    3000+, 3200+ and 3400+ have been released. Compatible CPUs will probably go
    no further than the 3700+ for skt754.

    On the other hand, skt939 will have a much longer roadmap than skt754, and,
    unlike skt754, the chipsets support dual-channel memory control. I'd
    recommend waiting for these new CPUs to arrive on UK shores, and then
    upgrade to a skt939 system.

    The Nforce4 chipsets are due to be announced on 19th October, with support
    for PCI-E. Lots of people building completely new systems are being advised
    to wait for these motherboards. Seeing as you already have an AGP 6800,
    perhaps it's best to wait a little while. Most people are reluctant to
    abandon their AGP cards, and the manufacturers know this, so there should
    hopefully be some option based on these new chipsets for you.

    You state that you have 768MB PC3200. What's that made up of? Is it
    top-quality stuff? If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, perhaps
    it would be better spent on a really good low-latency dual-channel set (2x
    512MB). These would give you a little performance boost now, and would go
    right into a skt939 system in the near future. Sell your existing RAM at
    www.ebay.co.uk and it won't cost too much at all to do this. Then you can
    wait for the skt939 3000+, 3200+ and 3400+ to arrive, and look at upgrading
    the motherboard and CPU then.

    Cuzman wrote:

    > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    > " For many games, an Athlon 64 3000+ will show a tremendous performance
    > improvement over an Athlon XP3200+. That is especially true since you have a
    > good video card. "
    >
    > The skt754 Athlon64 2800+ and 3000+ might out-perform the XP 3200+ a little

    A little? LOL! The difference is huge! It takes an $815 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz EE
    to come close to the performance of a $150 Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754
    running Doom 3.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    > in Doom3, but they will be a little slower in some other benchmarks.

    Can you show me even one example where an Athlon XP3200+ is faster
    than an Athlon 64 3000+? I doubt you can. For some business software
    they may be close though.

    > don't think it's worth the effort upgrading to skt754, now that the skt939
    > 3000+, 3200+ and 3400+ have been released. Compatible CPUs will probably go
    > no further than the 3700+ for skt754.

    I like the idea of changing the motherboard when changing the cpu. A
    socked 939 Athlon 64 3000+ costs more than a socket 754 one,
    and a socket 939 motherboard also costs more than a socket 754
    one. This cost savings by going with socket 754 now, will probably
    be enough to pay for a new motherboard when you are ready to
    to upgrade the cpu. The socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+
    are bargains now.

    " A little? LOL! The difference is huge! It takes an $815 Pentium 4 3.2
    ghz EE to come close to the performance of a $150 Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754
    running Doom 3. "

    Forget Intel, as he's not upgrading from, or considering buying one. Let's
    look at the relevant difference you claim is so big:

    sktA Athlon XP 3200+ 68 fps
    skt754 Athlon64 2800+ 78.8 fps
    skt754 Athlon64 3000+ 85.3 fps

    That's hardly a 'huge' difference, is it?

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:40:16 +0100, "Cuzman"
    <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote:

    >"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    >" A little? LOL! The difference is huge! It takes an $815 Pentium 4 3.2
    >ghz EE to come close to the performance of a $150 Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754
    >running Doom 3. "
    >

    >Forget Intel, as he's not upgrading from, or considering buying one. Let's
    >look at the relevant difference you claim is so big:
    >
    >sktA Athlon XP 3200+ 68 fps
    >skt754 Athlon64 2800+ 78.8 fps
    >skt754 Athlon64 3000+ 85.3 fps
    >
    >That's hardly a 'huge' difference, is it?

    Not huge but consider how graphically demanding Doom3 is,
    that there should be larger difference on a game with lesser
    video demands.

    Cuzman wrote:

    > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    > " A little? LOL! The difference is huge! It takes an $815 Pentium 4 3.2
    > ghz EE to come close to the performance of a $150 Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754
    > running Doom 3. "
    >
    > Forget Intel, as he's not upgrading from, or considering buying one. Let's
    > look at the relevant difference you claim is so big:
    >
    > sktA Athlon XP 3200+ 68 fps
    > skt754 Athlon64 2800+ 78.8 fps
    > skt754 Athlon64 3000+ 85.3 fps
    >
    > That's hardly a 'huge' difference, is it?

    Of course it is huge. Think about the alternative ways of getting those 17.3 fps
    without using an Athlon 64. They are probably extremely expensive!

    Thanks for the advice and to be honest im upgrading because i have a
    bit of spare cash and ive gone a sfar as i can with this mobo/cpu
    setup.

    The memory is made up of 3x 256mb kingston pc3200 sticks. I do play
    lots of games and doom 3 is a particular favourie along with ut2004,
    which is why i got the 6800nu.

    Im also getting £70 for my current mobo/cpu when ive done the upgrade.
    So it shouldnt cost me more than £100 overall for the whole upgrade. (
    £70ish for the mobo and £100 for a 64 2800+.

    Cheers all

    paul
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Why an Athlon 64 2800+ though? The 3000+ is only around $20 more than the
    2800+, and the 3200+ is only around $35 more than the 3000+. I would
    at least choose the 3000+ rather than the 2800+.

    "me!!" wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice and to be honest im upgrading because i have a
    > bit of spare cash and ive gone a sfar as i can with this mobo/cpu
    > setup.
    >
    > The memory is made up of 3x 256mb kingston pc3200 sticks. I do play
    > lots of games and doom 3 is a particular favourie along with ut2004,
    > which is why i got the 6800nu.
    >
    > Im also getting £70 for my current mobo/cpu when ive done the upgrade.
    > So it shouldnt cost me more than £100 overall for the whole upgrade. (
    > £70ish for the mobo and £100 for a 64 2800+.
    >
    > Cheers all
    >
    > paul
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:00:35 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Why an Athlon 64 2800+ though? The 3000+ is only around $20 more than the
    >2800+, and the 3200+ is only around $35 more than the 3000+. I would
    >at least choose the 3000+ rather than the 2800+.

    Fair point. I had considered the 3000+ which is why i asked the 754 or
    939 question. Next choice is the chipset. nforce3 or the via chipset
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Cuzman:

    > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > " A little? LOL! The difference is huge!

    > Let's look at the relevant difference you claim is so big:
    >
    > sktA Athlon XP 3200+ 68 fps
    > skt754 Athlon64 2800+ 78.8 fps
    > skt754 Athlon64 3000+ 85.3 fps
    >
    > That's hardly a 'huge' difference, is it?

    A 16% & 25% increase respectively, not worth upgrading for but I would
    call it significant.

    --
    Mac Cool
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <gtv7n0tqjftfi71tgigfvb1iqs5ru3e8qv@4ax.com>,
    pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk says...
    > Thanks for the advice and to be honest im upgrading because i have a
    > bit of spare cash and ive gone a sfar as i can with this mobo/cpu
    > setup.

    Save the cash for another year, I don't think you're
    going to get enough of a performance boost to make it
    worth it. If anything, I'd say this is a good year to
    examine your CRT/LCD and upgrade to a better display.

    You'll be able to buy a good bit more CPU for the pound
    this time next year. Plus, there's a lot of talk about
    dual-core Opterons coming in the (near) future.

    > The memory is made up of 3x 256mb kingston pc3200 sticks. I do play
    > lots of games and doom 3 is a particular favourie along with ut2004,
    > which is why i got the 6800nu.

    If the money is really burning a hole in your pocket,
    replace one or two of those sticks with 1GB PC3200.
    Since you have 3 sticks, you're probably not running in
    DDR mode anyway, AFAIK. More memory is always a good
    thing.

    > Im also getting £70 for my current mobo/cpu when ive done the upgrade.
    > So it shouldnt cost me more than £100 overall for the whole upgrade. (
    > £70ish for the mobo and £100 for a 64 2800+.

Homebuilt Windows XP Systems