Which CPU would you choose?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I'm being offered a choice of 2 CPU's for my new system.
Which one would you choose? Is there much difference? (performance and cost)

Dimension 8400 P4 530 with HT 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
Dimension 4700 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache

Thanks.

"twitchin" <twitchin@planet-save.moc> wrote in message
> I'm being offered a choice of 2 CPU's for my new system.
> Which one would you choose? Is there much difference? (performance and
> cost)
>
> Dimension 8400 P4 530 with HT 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
> Dimension 4700 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
>
> Thanks.

No matter! I've just been told they are the same :)

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"twitchin" <twitchin@planet-save.moc> wrote in message
> I'm being offered a choice of 2 CPU's for my new system.
> Which one would you choose? Is there much difference? (performance and
> cost)
>
> Dimension 8400 P4 530 with HT 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
> Dimension 4700 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
>
> Thanks.

It looks like both of your choices use the same exact processor and chipset,
but probably a different motherboard, and that's what you should be looking
at.

530 is the processor number, which means it's 3.0 Ghz, HT, 800FSB, 1MB
cache. There is a 530J which adds an extra security feature, but it's
nothing to consider.

I couldn't easily look up the Dimensions on Dell's site, but they are very
different machines. I'd not worry too much about processor. Look at graphics
card, SATA devices, ram speed, number of PCI slots, PCI Express or AGP?

-Max

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I would skip Dell, and buy a pc with an Athlon 64 processor.

twitchin wrote:

> I'm being offered a choice of 2 CPU's for my new system.
> Which one would you choose? Is there much difference? (performance and cost)
>
> Dimension 8400 P4 530 with HT 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
> Dimension 4700 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

>530 is the processor number, which means it's 3.0 Ghz, HT, 800FSB, 1MB
>cache. There is a 530J which adds an extra security feature, but it's
>nothing to consider.

I'm curious, what's this extra security feature you speak of ?

Regards,
Chris

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:52:52 +0000, Skeleton Man wrote:

>>530 is the processor number, which means it's 3.0 Ghz, HT, 800FSB, 1MB
>>cache. There is a 530J which adds an extra security feature, but it's
>>nothing to consider.
>
> I'm curious, what's this extra security feature you speak of ?
>
> Regards,
> Chris

The NX (no execute) bit. It's an AMD feature that Intel has adopted (not
sure what Intel's name for it is but in AMD parlance it's NX).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

twitchin:

> "twitchin" <twitchin@planet-save.moc> wrote in message
>> I'm being offered a choice of 2 CPU's for my new system.
>> Which one would you choose? Is there much difference?
>>
>> Dimension 8400 P4 530 with HT 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
>> Dimension 4700 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache

> No matter! I've just been told they are the same :)

they are not the same, take the 8400

--
Mac Cool

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> twitchin:
>
>> "twitchin" <twitchin@planet-save.moc> wrote in message
>>> I'm being offered a choice of 2 CPU's for my new system.
>>> Which one would you choose? Is there much difference?
>>>
>>> Dimension 8400 P4 530 with HT 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
>>> Dimension 4700 3Ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache
>
>> No matter! I've just been told they are the same :)
>

> they are not the same, take the 8400

Oh, ok. can I ask why you prefer the 8400? thanks.

JS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in

> The NX (no execute) bit. It's an AMD feature that Intel has adopted (not
> sure what Intel's name for it is but in AMD parlance it's NX).

Intel does not have this feature.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17050

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

twitchin:

>>> No matter! I've just been told they are the same :)

>> they are not the same, take the 8400

> Oh, ok. can I ask why you prefer the 8400? thanks.

Dell is currently offering five Dimension models:
3000 - value based with limited upgradeability
4600 - mid-range system with excellent performance for the money
4700 - a fancy 4600
8400 - the higher end Dimension with slightly better performance (faster
memory) and higher quality components than the 4600/4700
XPS - basically a gaming system
--
Mac Cool

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:17:38 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

>I would skip Dell, and buy a pc with an Athlon 64 processor.

Agreed, have a read of the letter from a Dell owner on page 27 of the
current (November) issue of PC Plus.