Athlon 64 mobo no sound

I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed that
only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about athlon mobo sound

    "Alex" <blaghlakj@goaway.org> wrote in message
    > I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
    > serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed that
    > only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
    > thanks.
    (please just point me in the right direction if they make athlon 64 boards
    w/out onboard sound.)

    In message <hTsed.324$uQ4.13@trndny08>
    "Alex" <blaghlakj@goaway.org> wrote:
    > I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
    > serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed that
    > only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
    > thanks.

    I would guess this is because most athlon 64 chipsets have an AC97 link
    built into the southbridge, like the VIA VT8237 has. This means that it
    is trivial to add onboard sound to the board, you only need to add on a
    cheap codec.

    If you dont want to use the onboard sound just disable it through the
    southbridge configuration registers (typically set by the BIOS).

    -- Chris

    "Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
    > In message <hTsed.324$uQ4.13@trndny08>
    > "Alex" <blaghlakj@goaway.org> wrote:
    > > I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
    > > serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed
    that
    > > only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
    > > thanks.
    >
    > I would guess this is because most athlon 64 chipsets have an AC97 link
    > built into the southbridge, like the VIA VT8237 has. This means that it
    > is trivial to add onboard sound to the board, you only need to add on a
    > cheap codec.
    >
    > If you dont want to use the onboard sound just disable it through the
    > southbridge configuration registers (typically set by the BIOS).
    >

    > -- Chris
    thanks chris.

Homebuilt Hardware Systems