Athlon 64 mobo no sound

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 23, 2004 5:19:09 PM

I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed that
only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
thanks.

More about : athlon mobo sound

October 23, 2004 5:19:59 PM

"Alex" <blaghlakj@goaway.org> wrote in message
> I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
> serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed that
> only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
> thanks.
(please just point me in the right direction if they make athlon 64 boards
w/out onboard sound.)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2004 7:39:03 PM

In message <hTsed.324$uQ4.13@trndny08>
"Alex" <blaghlakj@goaway.org> wrote:
> I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
> serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed that
> only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
> thanks.

I would guess this is because most athlon 64 chipsets have an AC97 link
built into the southbridge, like the VIA VT8237 has. This means that it
is trivial to add onboard sound to the board, you only need to add on a
cheap codec.

If you dont want to use the onboard sound just disable it through the
southbridge configuration registers (typically set by the BIOS).

-- Chris
October 24, 2004 9:21:45 PM

"Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
> In message <hTsed.324$uQ4.13@trndny08>
> "Alex" <blaghlakj@goaway.org> wrote:
> > I have looked, but am unable to find a high end motherboard (athlon 64,
> > serial ATA, other goodies) that has NO onboard sound. I have noticed
that
> > only Intel / P4 mobos have no onboard sound, but I really like AMD.
> > thanks.
>
> I would guess this is because most athlon 64 chipsets have an AC97 link
> built into the southbridge, like the VIA VT8237 has. This means that it
> is trivial to add onboard sound to the board, you only need to add on a
> cheap codec.
>
> If you dont want to use the onboard sound just disable it through the
> southbridge configuration registers (typically set by the BIOS).
>

> -- Chris
thanks chris.
!