Which intel chipset to get?

well, I'm finally ready to build a new computer after not having built
one since 2001. I'm a bit behind on all the latest hardware and confused
about what to get. I'm pretty much settled on a p4 3+ GHz, but don't
know whether to go with the new 775 socket with one of the intel 9xx
chipsets or one of the older 875 chipsets with the 478 socket. I've been
reading some about the differences and how the 9xx chipsets don't really
offer any practical performance improvements for the time, but still I
can't see getting an older technology when I don't have to worry at all
about backward-compatibility. All hardware including the HD, will be
purchased new.

Can someone explain what this pci max (I think it's called) is all
about? Is it supposed to compete with AGP or something? Thanks.

Keith

jk

http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getarticle=606&go=0.53769656

TheKeith wrote:

> well, I'm finally ready to build a new computer after not having built
> one since 2001. I'm a bit behind on all the latest hardware and confused
> about what to get. I'm pretty much settled on a p4 3+ GHz, but don't
> know whether to go with the new 775 socket with one of the intel 9xx
> chipsets or one of the older 875 chipsets with the 478 socket. I've been
> reading some about the differences and how the 9xx chipsets don't really
> offer any practical performance improvements for the time, but still I
> can't see getting an older technology when I don't have to worry at all
> about backward-compatibility. All hardware including the HD, will be
> purchased new.
>
> Can someone explain what this pci max (I think it's called) is all
> about? Is it supposed to compete with AGP or something? Thanks.
>
> Keith

I would rather go with 775 socket and with 915 or 925 chipset. A few
reasons:
- CPU 478 will be soon out of production and later on you could upgrade
mashin with a faster processor.
- PCI - express 16x video card will be a standard.
- PCI - express perhaps also will be a standard
- new memory DDR2

Boba Vancouver BC

"TheKeith" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> well, I'm finally ready to build a new computer after not having built one
> since 2001. I'm a bit behind on all the latest hardware and confused about
> what to get. I'm pretty much settled on a p4 3+ GHz, but don't know
> whether to go with the new 775 socket with one of the intel 9xx chipsets
> or one of the older 875 chipsets with the 478 socket. I've been reading
> some about the differences and how the 9xx chipsets don't really offer any
> practical performance improvements for the time, but still I can't see
> getting an older technology when I don't have to worry at all about
> backward-compatibility. All hardware including the HD, will be purchased
> new.
>
> Can someone explain what this pci max (I think it's called) is all about?
> Is it supposed to compete with AGP or something? Thanks.
>

> Keith

PCI Max: there's no such thing.
PCI Express: this is the replacement for the AGP socket and circuitry on
older boards. It has a much faster available data transfer rate.

--
DaveW

Boba & Ilinka wrote:
> I would rather go with 775 socket and with 915 or 925 chipset. A few
> reasons:
> - CPU 478 will be soon out of production and later on you could upgrade
> mashin with a faster processor.
> - PCI - express 16x video card will be a standard.
> - PCI - express perhaps also will be a standard
> - new memory DDR2

that's exactly what I'm doing--thanks.

TheKeith wrote:
> well, I'm finally ready to build a new computer after not having built
> one since 2001. I'm a bit behind on all the latest hardware and confused
> about what to get. I'm pretty much settled on a p4 3+ GHz, but don't
> know whether to go with the new 775 socket with one of the intel 9xx
> chipsets or one of the older 875 chipsets with the 478 socket. I've been
> reading some about the differences and how the 9xx chipsets don't really
> offer any practical performance improvements for the time, but still I
> can't see getting an older technology when I don't have to worry at all
> about backward-compatibility. All hardware including the HD, will be
> purchased new.
>
> Can someone explain what this pci max (I think it's called) is all
> about? Is it supposed to compete with AGP or something? Thanks.
>

> Keith

I appreciate everyone's help. I decided to go with the 915G chipset with
DDR2 memory and a 3.2GHz p4.