reformat hard drive

Hi

I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it to
30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive and
get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please
15 answers Last reply
More about reformat hard drive

    Hi,
    The problem may be that in your old system a partition was created of 30Gb
    (the limit for that system) and now when you try to reformat, it is only
    reformatting this existing partition.
    What you will need to do is delete this partition and create and new
    partition that fills the drive (80gig) and then format this partition.

    You'll need a program like fdisk or perhaps software from your driver
    manufacture to do this. Some bios's also have a 'low-level format' option
    which will solve the problem aswell.

    Let us know how you get on and we can help if you have any problems doing
    this.

    Regards,
    Simon

    "Robert Tracey" <robert.tracey@onetel.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it to
    > 30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive and
    > get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
    > original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

    first off...be sure the bios properly recognizes the drive...
    if that's ok...you will need the updated version of fdisk to delete the
    drive
    then recreate at the full capacity...

    you should be able to get the updated fdisk from microsoft...
    or else just download a winME bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:11:21 +0100, "Robert Tracey"
    <robert.tracey@onetel.net> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it to
    >30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive and
    >get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
    >original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

    IMHO, if that is the only drive in the (new) system, you'd
    be as well off leaving the OS partition at 30GB or smaller
    and just creating a 2nd partition with the unused space.
    This allows making whole partition backups with Driveimage
    or Ghost, which can be very good if you ever have a problem
    with windows. FDISK can do that too, just create it as an
    extended partition, and one (or more) logical drives using
    all of that space.

    > first off...be sure the bios properly recognizes the drive...
    > if that's ok...you will need the updated version of fdisk to delete the
    > drive
    > then recreate at the full capacity...
    >
    > you should be able to get the updated fdisk from microsoft...
    > or else just download a winME bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

    If you use Partition Magic you can reclaim your unformatted space and not
    lose your data.

    -Kent

    In article <417ac8ea@212.67.96.135>, Robert Tracey says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it to
    > 30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive and
    > get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
    > original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

    You are using an old version of FDISK that has a 30GB limit. Go to
    bootitng.com and download their trial. Burn the CD and boot from it.
    Create and format a 80GB partition using that.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    "Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message
    >> first off...be sure the bios properly recognizes the drive...
    >> if that's ok...you will need the updated version of fdisk to delete
    >> the
    >> drive
    >> then recreate at the full capacity...
    >>
    >> you should be able to get the updated fdisk from microsoft...
    >> or else just download a winME bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com
    >>

    > If you use Partition Magic you can reclaim your unformatted space
    > and not
    > lose your data.
    >
    > -Kent

    I see this suggestion a lot. Why when a new HDD is cheaper than
    Partition Magic??????

    Run fdisk. delete the existing partion. Create a new partition using the
    entire drive, then format the new partition.

    > Hi
    >
    > I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it to
    > 30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive and
    > get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
    > original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

    "bout time you ol' timers got over "fdisk" etc.
    Just pop your XP CD in & you can do all you want.

    "Tweek" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Run fdisk. delete the existing partion. Create a new partition using the
    > entire drive, then format the new partition.
    >
    > "Robert Tracey" <robert.tracey@onetel.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it
    > > 30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive
    and
    > > get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
    > > original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    BruceM wrote:

    > "bout time you ol' timers got over "fdisk" etc.
    > Just pop your XP CD in & you can do all you want.

    Well, not 'all'. XP won't format a FAT32 partition over 32 gig.

    > "Tweek" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Run fdisk. delete the existing partion. Create a new partition using the
    >>entire drive, then format the new partition.
    >>
    >>"Robert Tracey" <robert.tracey@onetel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it

    >>>30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me the
    >>>original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "bout time you ol' timers got over "fdisk" etc.
    > Just pop your XP CD in & you can do all you want.

    It's easier and quicker popping in a floopy and typing "Fdisk" than going
    through the rigmarole of dealing with an XP CD.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    He didn't say what OS he was using so fdisk seemed the best course of
    action. If he needs a fat32 partion, the XP disc only allows that option if
    the drive is under 32GB.

    "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "bout time you ol' timers got over "fdisk" etc.
    > Just pop your XP CD in & you can do all you want.
    >

    > "Tweek" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Run fdisk. delete the existing partion. Create a new partition using the
    >> entire drive, then format the new partition.
    >>
    >> "Robert Tracey" <robert.tracey@onetel.net> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a PIII and could only format it
    >> > 30Gb. I have upgraded my system and would like to reformat the drive
    > and
    >> > get the full 80Gb. However when I select Format it only offers me
    >> > the
    >> > original 30Gb. Is there any way round this please

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > He didn't say what OS he was using so fdisk seemed the best course of
    > action. If he needs a fat32 partion, the XP disc only allows that option
    > if the drive is under 32GB.

    Actually, I never thought of partitioning or formating with the XP install
    disk in that manner, but if I had I would still opt for the Fdisk via
    floppy. And you're right about the FAT32 limitation, not that I would
    format anything to FAT32 anymore. I do use CF cards that require FAT16, but
    none are bigger than 1gb.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > > If you use Partition Magic you can reclaim your unformatted space
    > > and not
    > > lose your data.
    > >
    > > -Kent
    >
    > I see this suggestion a lot. Why when a new HDD is cheaper than
    > Partition Magic??????

    So you do not have to re-format and loose all your data. The original poster
    never mentioned new harddrive. If he had new HD, I would use Ghost to make
    the original 30 GB partition occupy entire new HD (and not lose data).

    -Kent
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Kent_Diego wrote:

    >>>If you use Partition Magic you can reclaim your unformatted space
    >>>and not
    >>>lose your data.
    >>>
    >>>-Kent
    >>
    >>I see this suggestion a lot. Why when a new HDD is cheaper than
    >>Partition Magic??????
    >>

    > So you do not have to re-format and loose all your data. The original poster
    > never mentioned new harddrive.

    I think you missed his point. He wasn't saying the OP *did* have a new
    drive; he was saying why not buy one? I.E. Why buy partition magic to
    'recover' the 'unused' portion of the drive when you could simply buy a new
    drive larger than the 'unused' portion? (maybe larger than the whole
    drive). For less, or equal, cost you end up with more space even with the
    'unused' portion of the old drive remaining unused (but see below).

    > If he had new HD, I would use Ghost to make
    > the original 30 GB partition occupy entire new HD (and not lose data).

    Or they could use the free utility that comes with the new drive to clone
    the old drive over to it. In which case, for less money than the cost of
    partition magic, you end up with a new, probably larger, drive with all
    your data cloned over to it so you can then reformat the old drive and
    recover the 'unused' portion as well. So, for less, or equal, cost as
    buying partition magic you end up with twice as much, or more, available
    hard drive space.

    > -Kent

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    >From: robert.tracey@onetel.net
    >(Robert Tracey)
    >
    >Hi
    >I had an 80 Gb hard drive installed in a
    >PIII and could only format it to 30Gb.   I
    >have upgraded my system and would
    >like to reformat the drive and get the full
    >80Gb.   However when I select Format
    >it only offers me the original 30Gb. Is
    >there any way round this please

    This Site will fix you up!