Help: Vectral VL Graphics

I am trying to rehab an HP Vectra VL PC and I am having problems with
a graphics card. The onboard graphics are VGA. If I add a Diamond
Stealth card I get video out of the card, but the system does not
boot. The system freezes when the startup reaches mouse detected. I
can't boot off of wither floppy or CD.

I don't see any switches or jumpers on the motherboard that effect
the graphics. I tried restting the CMOS, but no help. I suspect it
may be a BIOS problem, but the BIOS on the HP Web site are HN and the
PC has HZ dated the same dates as are on the Web site.

If I turn on CMOS recovery, I get beep code indicating CGA/EGA
confilct.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:18:19 GMT, Bill Cherepy
<jcherepy@comcast.net> wrote:

>I am trying to rehab an HP Vectra VL PC and I am having problems with
>a graphics card. The onboard graphics are VGA. If I add a Diamond
>Stealth card I get video out of the card, but the system does not
>boot. The system freezes when the startup reaches mouse detected. I
>can't boot off of wither floppy or CD.
>
> I don't see any switches or jumpers on the motherboard that effect
>the graphics. I tried restting the CMOS, but no help. I suspect it
>may be a BIOS problem, but the BIOS on the HP Web site are HN and the
>PC has HZ dated the same dates as are on the Web site.
>
>If I turn on CMOS recovery, I get beep code indicating CGA/EGA
>confilct.
>
>Anybody have any ideas?

Look for unlabeled jumpers, look again in bios, and if
neither allows disabling video then it should be automatic.
Try a different slot (any/all) for video card. See what
happens if you unplug the mouse, maybe a last attempt would
be trying different mouse interface, like serial if it's
PS2, or USB if there is USB support.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:51:43 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>Look for unlabeled jumpers, look again in bios, and if
>neither allows disabling video then it should be automatic.
>Try a different slot (any/all) for video card. See what
>happens if you unplug the mouse, maybe a last attempt would
>be trying different mouse interface, like serial if it's
>PS2, or USB if there is USB support.

I flashed the updated BIOS and it now works.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA