Help: Vectral VL Graphics

I am trying to rehab an HP Vectra VL PC and I am having problems with
a graphics card. The onboard graphics are VGA. If I add a Diamond
Stealth card I get video out of the card, but the system does not
boot. The system freezes when the startup reaches mouse detected. I
can't boot off of wither floppy or CD.

I don't see any switches or jumpers on the motherboard that effect
the graphics. I tried restting the CMOS, but no help. I suspect it
may be a BIOS problem, but the BIOS on the HP Web site are HN and the
PC has HZ dated the same dates as are on the Web site.

If I turn on CMOS recovery, I get beep code indicating CGA/EGA
confilct.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA
2 answers Last reply
More about help vectral graphics

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:18:19 GMT, Bill Cherepy
    <jcherepy@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I am trying to rehab an HP Vectra VL PC and I am having problems with
    >a graphics card. The onboard graphics are VGA. If I add a Diamond
    >Stealth card I get video out of the card, but the system does not
    >boot. The system freezes when the startup reaches mouse detected. I
    >can't boot off of wither floppy or CD.
    >
    > I don't see any switches or jumpers on the motherboard that effect
    >the graphics. I tried restting the CMOS, but no help. I suspect it
    >may be a BIOS problem, but the BIOS on the HP Web site are HN and the
    >PC has HZ dated the same dates as are on the Web site.
    >
    >If I turn on CMOS recovery, I get beep code indicating CGA/EGA
    >confilct.
    >
    >Anybody have any ideas?

    Look for unlabeled jumpers, look again in bios, and if
    neither allows disabling video then it should be automatic.
    Try a different slot (any/all) for video card. See what
    happens if you unplug the mouse, maybe a last attempt would
    be trying different mouse interface, like serial if it's
    PS2, or USB if there is USB support.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:51:43 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >Look for unlabeled jumpers, look again in bios, and if
    >neither allows disabling video then it should be automatic.
    >Try a different slot (any/all) for video card. See what
    >happens if you unplug the mouse, maybe a last attempt would
    >be trying different mouse interface, like serial if it's
    >PS2, or USB if there is USB support.

    I flashed the updated BIOS and it now works.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Bill Cherepy
    Grayson, GA

Homebuilt Hewlett Packard Graphics Systems