Windows XP installed, but no My computer icon on desktop?

I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about windows installed computer icon desktop

    Rightclick on desktop, select properties

    A screen will come up, click on the desktop tab

    On the new screen you can select what you want on your desktop

    "Chop Top" <notrealmail@notreal.com> wrote in message
    >I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
    > bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
    > Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA

    Right click on Start then left click Properties. Click on the Classic Start
    Menu and then click Apply and OK. You have the desktop back to the way you
    recognize it in the past.

    Regards,
    John O.

    Chop Top wrote:

    > I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
    > bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
    > Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA

    Others have told you how to make it look like you want but the answer to
    your question is... yes, it's normal

    Start/right click my computer / click on "show on desktop............
    and yes, it's normal, don't ask why......
    Graham A+

    Chop Top wrote:
    > I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
    > bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
    > Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA

Homebuilt Windows XP Desktops Computer Systems