Windows XP installed, but no My computer icon on desktop?

I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Rightclick on desktop, select properties

A screen will come up, click on the desktop tab

On the new screen you can select what you want on your desktop

"Chop Top" <notrealmail@notreal.com> wrote in message
>I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
> bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
> Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA

Right click on Start then left click Properties. Click on the Classic Start
Menu and then click Apply and OK. You have the desktop back to the way you
recognize it in the past.

Regards,
John O.

Chop Top wrote:

> I just finished installing Win XP and the desktop only shows the recycle
> bin. There is no My Computer icon. Is this normal for a fresh install of
> Win XP Pro on a new HD? TIA

Others have told you how to make it look like you want but the answer to
your question is... yes, it's normal

graham

Start/right click my computer / click on "show on desktop............
and yes, it's normal, don't ask why......
Graham A+