new mobo

hi group had a pavilion xl844 WinME 850mhz hit by lightning blew out mobo
going with new mobo/cpu and barebones kit to replace took hdd out of xl844
and plugged it in to old g-6 350 GW to save info and programs files booted
right up and runs fine after find (new) hardware my question is will it do
the same if i put it in new system? want to keep os and programs other than
finding drivers (which i am not worried about) gonna try it anyway just
waiting on parts and wondered if anyone else has done this jayel

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:32:41 -0500, "jayel"
<jleedenn@no_spamhotmail.com> wrote:

>hi group had a pavilion xl844 WinME 850mhz hit by lightning blew out mobo
>going with new mobo/cpu and barebones kit to replace took hdd out of xl844
>and plugged it in to old g-6 350 GW to save info and programs files booted
>right up and runs fine after find (new) hardware my question is will it do
>the same if i put it in new system? want to keep os and programs other than
>finding drivers (which i am not worried about) gonna try it anyway just
>waiting on parts and wondered if anyone else has done this jayel

Yes, in general you can plug-n-play WinME on *any* system.
Since you already have it running on the GW box, it might be
a good opportunity to go ahead and copy the drivers to a
folder on the drive.

The most thorough way to do it is to delete the old
enumerated hardware keys out of the registry. To do this
you first boot to SAFE MODE (hit F8 right after the POST)
then run regedit and delete the HKLM-Enum key (highlight
"Enum" key and delete it). Then you reboot a few times.

While doing that removes all old hardware, it also removes
one registry key needed for WDM audio drivers (what the new
motherboard almost certainly uses as well as many sound
cards). To regain the needed registry key, merge the
following file AFTER deleting the Enum key and rebooting
system at least once to normal mode:
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/win9x_wdm_audio.reg

thanks for the info hope it goes ok hate ME but helping a friend and they
had business files on this thing backed those up for them already just
didn't want to spend a lot of time reloading that os (system restore disks)
it would have looked for hardware that wasn't there anymore will have to
make new backups or maybe just small partition for ghost copy
"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:32:41 -0500, "jayel"
> <jleedenn@no_spamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >hi group had a pavilion xl844 WinME 850mhz hit by lightning blew out mobo
> >going with new mobo/cpu and barebones kit to replace took hdd out of
xl844
> >and plugged it in to old g-6 350 GW to save info and programs files
booted
> >right up and runs fine after find (new) hardware my question is will it
do
> >the same if i put it in new system? want to keep os and programs other
than
> >finding drivers (which i am not worried about) gonna try it anyway just
> >waiting on parts and wondered if anyone else has done this jayel
> >

> Yes, in general you can plug-n-play WinME on *any* system.
> Since you already have it running on the GW box, it might be
> a good opportunity to go ahead and copy the drivers to a
> folder on the drive.
>
> The most thorough way to do it is to delete the old
> enumerated hardware keys out of the registry. To do this
> you first boot to SAFE MODE (hit F8 right after the POST)
> then run regedit and delete the HKLM-Enum key (highlight
> "Enum" key and delete it). Then you reboot a few times.
>
> While doing that removes all old hardware, it also removes
> one registry key needed for WDM audio drivers (what the new
> motherboard almost certainly uses as well as many sound
> cards). To regain the needed registry key, merge the
> following file AFTER deleting the Enum key and rebooting
> system at least once to normal mode:
> http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/win9x_wdm_audio.reg

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:57:44 -0500, "jayel"
<jleedenn@no_spamhotmail.com> wrote:

>thanks for the info hope it goes ok hate ME but helping a friend and they
>had business files on this thing backed those up for them already just
>didn't want to spend a lot of time reloading that os (system restore disks)
>it would have looked for hardware that wasn't there anymore will have to
>make new backups or maybe just small partition for ghost copy

I failed to mention that, after 2-3 reboots, there may be
conflicting duplicate entries in Device Manager. At that
point go into Device Manager and, for each entry with a
duplicate that shows a problem (one one of the two
duplicates), delete the one NOT flagged with a problem. You
could instead just delete both if it becomes confusing.
Bascially what happens is that the first wave of
plug-n-playing installs legacy/generic drivers which aren't
all removed later. Typically devices with this situation
might be keyboard, DMA controller and one or two others that
escape me at the moment... then just reboot a couple times
again.