A universal game controller layout?

I'm looking to build a single "universal" game controller that
will give close to authentic (or at least not awkward) control
layout for 90%+ of the games in MAME.

I was thinking of designing two panels, one on "top" and one on
the "bottom"; then I can just flip it over depending on the game.
I'd also want to have a modular system for the joysticks, so I
can unplug one type and plug in another, again depending on the
game.

I want a trackball, spinner, 2- 4- 8-way digital joysticks,
analog joystick, 8-way digital joysticks with 12-position rotary
switch, and probably trigger joysticks in both analog and digital
varieties.

Anyone ever tried to do this?

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Brent Leery wrote:
> I'm looking to build a single "universal" game controller that
> will give close to authentic (or at least not awkward) control
> layout for 90%+ of the games in MAME.
>
> I was thinking of designing two panels, one on "top" and one on
> the "bottom"; then I can just flip it over depending on the game.
> I'd also want to have a modular system for the joysticks, so I
> can unplug one type and plug in another, again depending on the
> game.
>
> I want a trackball, spinner, 2- 4- 8-way digital joysticks,
> analog joystick, 8-way digital joysticks with 12-position rotary
> switch, and probably trigger joysticks in both analog and digital
> varieties.
>
> Anyone ever tried to do this?

Ummmmm.....yeah. Check out my post from a few hours ago in the 'Two
trackballs AND a spinner? + general trackb question' thread for a few
examples.

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad