A universal game controller layout?

I'm looking to build a single "universal" game controller that
will give close to authentic (or at least not awkward) control
layout for 90%+ of the games in MAME.

I was thinking of designing two panels, one on "top" and one on
the "bottom"; then I can just flip it over depending on the game.
I'd also want to have a modular system for the joysticks, so I
can unplug one type and plug in another, again depending on the
game.

I want a trackball, spinner, 2- 4- 8-way digital joysticks,
analog joystick, 8-way digital joysticks with 12-position rotary
switch, and probably trigger joysticks in both analog and digital
varieties.

Anyone ever tried to do this?

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)
1 answer Last reply

    Brent Leery wrote:
    > I'm looking to build a single "universal" game controller that
    > will give close to authentic (or at least not awkward) control
    > layout for 90%+ of the games in MAME.
    >
    > I was thinking of designing two panels, one on "top" and one on
    > the "bottom"; then I can just flip it over depending on the game.
    > I'd also want to have a modular system for the joysticks, so I
    > can unplug one type and plug in another, again depending on the
    > game.
    >
    > I want a trackball, spinner, 2- 4- 8-way digital joysticks,
    > analog joystick, 8-way digital joysticks with 12-position rotary
    > switch, and probably trigger joysticks in both analog and digital
    > varieties.
    >
    > Anyone ever tried to do this?

    Ummmmm.....yeah. Check out my post from a few hours ago in the 'Two
    trackballs AND a spinner? + general trackb question' thread for a few
    examples.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad