WTB: metal mouse pad for Mouse Systems serial optical mouse

I know it's an odd request, but I need to replace a worn out mouse pad
for my Mouse Systems serial optical mouse, model M411. It's the shiny
metal one with red and blue stripes. Alternatively, does anyone know
where I can buy a serial optical mouse, new or used?

I cannot use a USB or PS/2 mouse because I'm connecting it via a KVM
switchbox which has DB9 connectors only. Furthermore, one of the PCs
is an old 486 with no PS/2 or USB interface. I use this machine to
support my device programmer.

- Franc Zabkar

Dude,

Try this.

http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/adm2at.html

Ask around at your local computer shop if they carry any. :)

"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> ???
news:vthrn05lan176847bcvlu4hvd5j4nk01h5@4ax.com ???...
> I know it's an odd request, but I need to replace a worn out mouse pad
> for my Mouse Systems serial optical mouse, model M411. It's the shiny
> metal one with red and blue stripes. Alternatively, does anyone know
> where I can buy a serial optical mouse, new or used?
>
> I cannot use a USB or PS/2 mouse because I'm connecting it via a KVM
> switchbox which has DB9 connectors only. Furthermore, one of the PCs
> is an old 486 with no PS/2 or USB interface. I use this machine to
> support my device programmer.
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:25:31 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
<bronney@netvigator.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Dude,
>
>Try this.
>
>http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/adm2at.html

That only works if the mouse understands both protocols, and if the
serial port can provide enough power on its signal pins.

>Ask around at your local computer shop if they carry any. :)
>
>"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> ???
>news:vthrn05lan176847bcvlu4hvd5j4nk01h5@4ax.com ???...
>> I know it's an odd request, but I need to replace a worn out mouse pad
>> for my Mouse Systems serial optical mouse, model M411. It's the shiny
>> metal one with red and blue stripes. Alternatively, does anyone know
>> where I can buy a serial optical mouse, new or used?
>>
>> I cannot use a USB or PS/2 mouse because I'm connecting it via a KVM
>> switchbox which has DB9 connectors only. Furthermore, one of the PCs
>> is an old 486 with no PS/2 or USB interface. I use this machine to
>> support my device programmer.
>>

>> - Franc Zabkar
>> --
>> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

- Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:18:01 +1000, Franc Zabkar
<fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:25:31 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
><bronney@netvigator.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>Dude,
>>
>>Try this.
>>
>>http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/adm2at.html
>
>That only works if the mouse understands both protocols, and if the
>serial port can provide enough power on its signal pins.

Never seen a serial optical mouse, it might be easier to
just swap the motherboard if you must have optical.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> ??? news:62jtn09l2r9kd4mnjuan086lktnh1sits3@4ax.com
???...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:18:01 +1000, Franc Zabkar
>
> Never seen a serial optical mouse, it might be easier to
> just swap the motherboard if you must have optical.

Kony,

We used to use them in computer science class when I was in grade 10 hehe,
long long time ago. Those 3 buttons thing I think it's from wacom. And
they'd break if you hold up the mouse, point the led up close to the
monitor. I broke 3 just to make sure, kinda curious as to why it would.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:17:45 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
<bronney@netvigator.com> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> ??? news:62jtn09l2r9kd4mnjuan086lktnh1sits3@4ax.com
>???...
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:18:01 +1000, Franc Zabkar
>>
>> Never seen a serial optical mouse, it might be easier to
>> just swap the motherboard if you must have optical.
>
>Kony,
>
>We used to use them in computer science class when I was in grade 10 hehe,
>long long time ago. Those 3 buttons thing I think it's from wacom. And
>they'd break if you hold up the mouse, point the led up close to the
>monitor. I broke 3 just to make sure, kinda curious as to why it would.

Ok, I should've wrote that I was thinking of newer,
near-current generation mice that don't need special pads...
since the problem was lack of pad to begin with.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:15:19 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>Never seen a serial optical mouse, it might be easier to
>just swap the motherboard if you must have optical.

I used to have one when I worked for Unisys. It was made by Unisys, and ran on a
metal plate with a criss cross pattern.

Black lines one way, blue the other (IIRC)

That was on a 286.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Yes yes that's the pad.! I'm quite sure the brand I used started with a W
though.

"Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> ???
news:u44un058vdrhmh27bbtv62dqi3i7o2lmh1@4ax.com ???...

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:08:42 +0800, "Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com>
wrote:

>Yes yes that's the pad.! I'm quite sure the brand I used started with a W
>though.

Well, it might have been badged differently. The mouse was squarish, with three
long buttons. None of this is of any relevance however, as I no longer have
it... It was a long time ago, and it was company property anyway...

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:15:19 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:18:01 +1000, Franc Zabkar
><fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:25:31 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
>><bronney@netvigator.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>>
>>>Dude,
>>>
>>>Try this.
>>>
>>>http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/adm2at.html
>>
>>That only works if the mouse understands both protocols, and if the
>>serial port can provide enough power on its signal pins.
>>

>Never seen a serial optical mouse, it might be easier to
>just swap the motherboard if you must have optical.

The device programmer's proprietary interface card doesn't work
reliably with anything faster than a 486. I'm also using 4 x 16MB
30-pin parity SIMMs.

The Mouse Systems serial optical mice were often supplied with high
end workstations, eg Sun Sparcstation. Mine is a Mouse Systems PC
Mouse II which was obviously intended for PC use. I also have a Quick
serial optical mouse, but unfortunately it uses an incompatible pad,
and its resolution is much lower. In later years Artec made an optical
serial mouse for PCs. I regret not buying one - it would have cost me
about $25. :-(

BTW, the horizontal grid lines on the metal pad are black, not red as
I originally stated.

- Franc Zabkar