can see each share folder/computer but only one can access?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 2, 2005 4:13:01 AM

desktop on xp home 4 users and my daughter wishs to transfercontents of her
"my music" and "my pictures" folder to her new laptop which also will be of
same

cable modem on comcast (using nic for desktop) with linksys wrt54g
router/wireless for laptop.

no issues with internet connections.

read all i could here about setting up wireless network and file sharing.

setup her 2 folders to be shared on desktop.
did the same for her laptop.

enabled tc/ip on wins tab of both computers.

desktop can see laptop and access the 2 folders fine.

laptop can see desktop folders but when trying to access them gets error
message "hvvkq/my pictures is not accessible. you might not have permission
to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to see if you
have access permission. access denied."

any help greatly appreciated.

thanx
June 2, 2005 4:22:01 AM

should read enabled netbios over tc/ip o wins tab.

"Mark" wrote:

> desktop on xp home 4 users and my daughter wishs to transfercontents of her
> "my music" and "my pictures" folder to her new laptop which also will be of
> same
>
> cable modem on comcast (using nic for desktop) with linksys wrt54g
> router/wireless for laptop.
>
> no issues with internet connections.
>
> read all i could here about setting up wireless network and file sharing.
>
> setup her 2 folders to be shared on desktop.
> did the same for her laptop.
>
> enabled tc/ip on wins tab of both computers.
>
> desktop can see laptop and access the 2 folders fine.
>
> laptop can see desktop folders but when trying to access them gets error
> message "hvvkq/my pictures is not accessible. you might not have permission
> to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to see if you
> have access permission. access denied."
>
> any help greatly appreciated.
>
> thanx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2005 1:16:01 PM

Mark, try disabling any fire-wall that you are using. You must disable it
in the services folder under computer management in the control panel. Then
try to ping the host computer. If you have done this then you have the same
issue I have and unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I get the same error
message you describe when the fire-wall for my anti-virus software is
running. When I removed the fire-wall I get "Access is denied when trying a
net view (Host computer) dos cmd.

"Mark" wrote:

> desktop on xp home 4 users and my daughter wishs to transfercontents of her
> "my music" and "my pictures" folder to her new laptop which also will be of
> same
>
> cable modem on comcast (using nic for desktop) with linksys wrt54g
> router/wireless for laptop.
>
> no issues with internet connections.
>
> read all i could here about setting up wireless network and file sharing.
>
> setup her 2 folders to be shared on desktop.
> did the same for her laptop.
>
> enabled tc/ip on wins tab of both computers.
>
> desktop can see laptop and access the 2 folders fine.
>
> laptop can see desktop folders but when trying to access them gets error
> message "hvvkq/my pictures is not accessible. you might not have permission
> to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to see if you
> have access permission. access denied."
>
> any help greatly appreciated.
>
> thanx
Related resources
June 2, 2005 3:24:03 PM

i have done that turned off nav 2005 and windows firewall on both computers.

thanx

"pcdrums" wrote:

> Mark, try disabling any fire-wall that you are using. You must disable it
> in the services folder under computer management in the control panel. Then
> try to ping the host computer. If you have done this then you have the same
> issue I have and unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I get the same error
> message you describe when the fire-wall for my anti-virus software is
> running. When I removed the fire-wall I get "Access is denied when trying a
> net view (Host computer) dos cmd.
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>
> > desktop on xp home 4 users and my daughter wishs to transfercontents of her
> > "my music" and "my pictures" folder to her new laptop which also will be of
> > same
> >
> > cable modem on comcast (using nic for desktop) with linksys wrt54g
> > router/wireless for laptop.
> >
> > no issues with internet connections.
> >
> > read all i could here about setting up wireless network and file sharing.
> >
> > setup her 2 folders to be shared on desktop.
> > did the same for her laptop.
> >
> > enabled tc/ip on wins tab of both computers.
> >
> > desktop can see laptop and access the 2 folders fine.
> >
> > laptop can see desktop folders but when trying to access them gets error
> > message "hvvkq/my pictures is not accessible. you might not have permission
> > to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to see if you
> > have access permission. access denied."
> >
> > any help greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2005 9:08:03 PM

Mark,

I have the same problem also using very similar equipment. The strange
thing is that I did not have this problem before I had a hard disk crash on
my Laptop. After rebuilding the hard disk, my laptop was no longer allowed
to access my desktop. Before the crash, each computer could access the other
just fine.

Sorry that this is no help, but you are not alone. I have tried disabling
all firewalls in my network, but that hasn't worked. Good luck. If you find
a solution, please post it.

Mike

"Mark" wrote:

> i have done that turned off nav 2005 and windows firewall on both computers.
>
> thanx
>
> "pcdrums" wrote:
>
> > Mark, try disabling any fire-wall that you are using. You must disable it
> > in the services folder under computer management in the control panel. Then
> > try to ping the host computer. If you have done this then you have the same
> > issue I have and unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I get the same error
> > message you describe when the fire-wall for my anti-virus software is
> > running. When I removed the fire-wall I get "Access is denied when trying a
> > net view (Host computer) dos cmd.
> >
> > "Mark" wrote:
> >
> > > desktop on xp home 4 users and my daughter wishs to transfercontents of her
> > > "my music" and "my pictures" folder to her new laptop which also will be of
> > > same
> > >
> > > cable modem on comcast (using nic for desktop) with linksys wrt54g
> > > router/wireless for laptop.
> > >
> > > no issues with internet connections.
> > >
> > > read all i could here about setting up wireless network and file sharing.
> > >
> > > setup her 2 folders to be shared on desktop.
> > > did the same for her laptop.
> > >
> > > enabled tc/ip on wins tab of both computers.
> > >
> > > desktop can see laptop and access the 2 folders fine.
> > >
> > > laptop can see desktop folders but when trying to access them gets error
> > > message "hvvkq/my pictures is not accessible. you might not have permission
> > > to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to see if you
> > > have access permission. access denied."
> > >
> > > any help greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > thanx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2005 10:05:22 PM

I spoke to soon. The fix in this link helped me.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177078.

I increased the Registry variable to 21 in both my laptop and my desktop and
now they can see each other.

Hope this helps you too. It was a tip given by Peter in one of the threads
from 1/24/2005.

MikeZ

!