My first foray into building my own pc, have a few queries

I'm planning on building my own pc, figured I'd give it a go. Going
for a SFF case, Asus Pundit-R with built in motherboard(not a gamer so
no real need for the agp slot), Criterion 512mb pc3200 Ram, Either a
Celeron 2.4 or 2.6 gig cpu, a Samsung Spinpoint 80gb hard drive and an
Aopen 52x cd/rw.

Now what i would like to know is if I'll have any compatability
problems with any of the components, or if there are any I should
substitute.

Also, will i be able to format the hard drive, load windows etc onto
it without a floppy disc drive? I read that I'd need to format my
hard disc first before I can use it, how would I do this without the
3.5" drive, or could I use a floppy via the usb. The same is true of
windows, I have an OEM copy of win 2k, but would I need a boot disc to
enable me to load it, again would a 3.5" drive via usb be suitable?

Any help would be appreciated

cheers

daverutt wrote:

> I'm planning on building my own pc, figured I'd give it a go. Going
> for a SFF case, Asus Pundit-R with built in motherboard(not a gamer so
> no real need for the agp slot), Criterion 512mb pc3200 Ram, Either a
> Celeron 2.4 or 2.6 gig cpu, a Samsung Spinpoint 80gb hard drive and an
> Aopen 52x cd/rw.
>
> Now what i would like to know is if I'll have any compatability
> problems with any of the components, or if there are any I should
> substitute.

Should have no problems.. all basic hardware with nothing fancy.

> Also, will i be able to format the hard drive, load windows etc onto
> it without a floppy disc drive? I read that I'd need to format my
> hard disc first before I can use it, how would I do this without the
> 3.5" drive, or could I use a floppy via the usb. The same is true of
> windows, I have an OEM copy of win 2k, but would I need a boot disc to
> enable me to load it, again would a 3.5" drive via usb be suitable?

Boot off the CD! Put the Windows CD in the cdrom drive.. set the bios to
boot off the cd and you're away.. really no need for a floppy drive in a
modern PC.
The hdd formatting will be taken care of automatically during the Windows
Install.. no need to worry about it :)

> Any help would be appreciated

No Problem!