Setup WLAN card for USA/EMEA std. ?

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

My AP is 'running' channel 14 and some of my XP embedded units can connect
to this channel and others can't?.

Any idea where to setup wheater my Orinoco Gold WLAN PCI card should run USA
std or EMEA european standard ?.
(this regards the number of avaiable channels)

Under 'Device-mamager - Properties' only a list of channel 0->14 + default
channel, but it still listens to other channels.

Thanks,

Henrik.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

well if you are in the usa you should use the usa standard. if you are in
europe you should use the europe standard. to use the wrong one may cause
interferance to other radio services that use that part of the spectrum.

"Henrik" <donhero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#6#IBq2ZFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> My AP is 'running' channel 14 and some of my XP embedded units can connect
> to this channel and others can't?.
>
> Any idea where to setup wheater my Orinoco Gold WLAN PCI card should run USA
> std or EMEA european standard ?.
> (this regards the number of avaiable channels)
>
> Under 'Device-mamager - Properties' only a list of channel 0->14 + default
> channel, but it still listens to other channels.

AFAIK only the card manufacturer can help you here
The list of allowed channels may be hardcoded in cards sold in specific region.
If so, nobody except the manufacturer can unlock other channels.
Device manager or any hacking in the configuration parameters won't help.

Regards,
--PA

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi Henrik,

I believe that adjusting your AP to a lower channel such as 11 will enable
all the wireless clients to connect. Usually the wireless cards scan the
spectrum and show you all the available AP's. Cards that support only the
USA standard can obviosly scan within their limits, so channel 14 would
never be detected.

Most of the wireless cards supporting multiple regions have a setting in the
advanced settings area of their driver which allows you to set the area. It
can be helpful.

Good Luck,

Engin