Copying old files to new system

I'll be bringing up a new system soon to replace an out dated one. The HD
on the older system contains all the programs and data that I'll want to
transfer to the new PC. What is the best method to transfer these files? I
figure I'll install the old HD in the new PC as a slave and copy stuff over.
That works easy enough for data but what about the programs? Do all the old
programs have to be reinstalled?
12
answers
Last reply
More about copying files system

    jch wrote:
    > I'll be bringing up a new system soon to replace an out dated one. The HD
    > on the older system contains all the programs and data that I'll want to
    > transfer to the new PC. What is the best method to transfer these files? I
    > figure I'll install the old HD in the new PC as a slave and copy stuff over.
    > That works easy enough for data but what about the programs? Do all the old
    > programs have to be reinstalled?

    You didn't say what O.S. you're running but the generic answer is to clone
    the old drive to the new drive and then do an 'upgrade' install to redetect
    the hardware of the new system.

    "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > jch wrote:
    >> I'll be bringing up a new system soon to replace an out dated one. The
    >> HD on the older system contains all the programs and data that I'll want
    >> to transfer to the new PC. What is the best method to transfer these
    >> files? I figure I'll install the old HD in the new PC as a slave and
    >> copy stuff over. That works easy enough for data but what about the
    >> programs? Do all the old programs have to be reinstalled?
    >
    > You didn't say what O.S. you're running but the generic answer is to clone
    > the old drive to the new drive and then do an 'upgrade' install to
    > redetect the hardware of the new system.

    I would be going from Win Me to Win 2000. I'm helping a friend out so it is
    actually their system. I'd rather not have to reinstall all their existing
    apps. Because of the change in OS, I don't think the clone method would
    work. If it does, please tell me how. I was hoping there'd be an easy
    process to upgrade a system and go from one HD to another. Any pointers?
    Thanks.

    jch wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>jch wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'll be bringing up a new system soon to replace an out dated one. The
    >>>HD on the older system contains all the programs and data that I'll want
    >>>to transfer to the new PC. What is the best method to transfer these
    >>>files? I figure I'll install the old HD in the new PC as a slave and
    >>>copy stuff over. That works easy enough for data but what about the
    >>>programs? Do all the old programs have to be reinstalled?
    >>
    >>You didn't say what O.S. you're running but the generic answer is to clone
    >>the old drive to the new drive and then do an 'upgrade' install to
    >>redetect the hardware of the new system.
    >

    > I would be going from Win Me to Win 2000. I'm helping a friend out so it is
    > actually their system. I'd rather not have to reinstall all their existing
    > apps. Because of the change in OS, I don't think the clone method would
    > work. If it does, please tell me how. I was hoping there'd be an easy
    > process to upgrade a system and go from one HD to another. Any pointers?
    > Thanks.

    Well, the 'upgrade' to Windows 2000 makes it a moot issue as you can't
    'upgrade' Millennium to Windows 2000. Millennium is newer than Windows 2000
    so it doesn't know how to.

    It would work on a supported upgrade path though. You simply clone the old
    hard drive to the new one and then upgrade on the new hardware.

    Yes, the programs have to be reinstalled.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW wrote:

    > Yes, the programs have to be reinstalled.

    Wrong.

    jch:

    > I'll be bringing up a new system soon to replace an out dated one.
    > The HD on the older system contains all the programs and data that
    > I'll want to transfer to the new PC. What is the best method to
    > transfer these files?

    If you buy a retail drive it will come with software that will transfer
    everything (clone) to the new drive. If you buy an OEM drive, you can
    download the software from the drive manufacturer's website.

    > I figure I'll install the old HD in the new PC
    > as a slave and copy stuff over.

    Not copy, clone.

    > Do all the old programs have to be reinstalled?

    No.
    --
    Mac Cool

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > jch:
    >
    >> I'll be bringing up a new system soon to replace an out dated one.
    >> The HD on the older system contains all the programs and data that
    >> I'll want to transfer to the new PC. What is the best method to
    >> transfer these files?
    >
    > If you buy a retail drive it will come with software that will transfer
    > everything (clone) to the new drive. If you buy an OEM drive, you can
    > download the software from the drive manufacturer's website.
    >
    >> I figure I'll install the old HD in the new PC
    >> as a slave and copy stuff over.
    >
    > Not copy, clone.
    >
    >> Do all the old programs have to be reinstalled?
    >
    > No.

    Thanks for the replies. I guess I wasn't clear. The 'new' system already has
    Win 2k installed. I don't believe anything else is on the HD (I haven't seen
    it yet so I don't know). What I need to do is transfer the contents of the
    old HD to the new HD. I don't see how I can re-image the new HD since that
    would wipe out Win 2k. I don't know if I'll have access to the OS CDs or
    not. If I do have the Win 2k CDs then what I gather is being suggested here
    is that I re-image the new drive and then install the Win 2k over Win ME. Is
    that correct? Would that insure the apps would all run?? Is this the best
    way to proceed? Thanks.

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:47:48 -0500, David Maynard
    <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

    >jch wrote:
    >
    >> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

    >>>You didn't say what O.S. you're running but the generic answer is to clone
    >>>the old drive to the new drive and then do an 'upgrade' install to
    >>>redetect the hardware of the new system.
    >>

    >> I would be going from Win Me to Win 2000. I'm helping a friend out so it is
    >> actually their system. I'd rather not have to reinstall all their existing
    >> apps. Because of the change in OS, I don't think the clone method would
    >> work. If it does, please tell me how. I was hoping there'd be an easy
    >> process to upgrade a system and go from one HD to another. Any pointers?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >Well, the 'upgrade' to Windows 2000 makes it a moot issue as you can't
    >'upgrade' Millennium to Windows 2000. Millennium is newer than Windows 2000
    >so it doesn't know how to.
    >
    >It would work on a supported upgrade path though. You simply clone the old
    >hard drive to the new one and then upgrade on the new hardware.

    Untrue, you can upgrade ME to 2K, it just isn't "supported".
    The best course to take here might be to clone the old
    system's HDD to the new HDD, then try to upgrade and see how
    it goes... at worst the new drive just gets formatted and
    it's back to square one again.

    <the rest directed at OP>

    Even so, IMO it might be worthwhile to do a clean install of
    Win2K instead of having remnants of WinME mucking up a
    perfectly good (2K) OS, especially on a new/unproven system
    it may be easier to troubleshoot any potential problems that
    arise... but still trying to upgrade install Win2K over ME
    would only be an hour's time wasted, and it just might work
    fine except for all those drivers and apps that wouldn't
    have worked with 2K to begin with, regardless of the route
    taken to get 2K running.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:06:10 -0400, "jch" <JCH@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies. I guess I wasn't clear. The 'new' system already has
    >Win 2k installed.

    Then you might consider first making a partition backup of
    the new system's OS partition, just in case you might want
    to revert back to it.

    >I don't believe anything else is on the HD (I haven't seen
    >it yet so I don't know). What I need to do is transfer the contents of the
    >old HD to the new HD.

    OK, but that's not quite true. You need the files AND the
    configuration info extracted from the old OS and put into
    the new OS, which isn't nearly so simple. If it were only a
    matter of copying files I'd suggest simply doing so over a
    LAN, since there would be no need to swap hard drives
    around.

    > I don't see how I can re-image the new HD since that
    >would wipe out Win 2k.

    Correct

    >I don't know if I'll have access to the OS CDs or
    >not.

    Well it's pretty important to have "some" way to
    install/reinstall the OS... If the box just comes with win2k
    installed and no way to even provide the installation files
    whenever Win2K needs to configure/reconfigure something then
    you already have a problem before even considering migration
    of anything from the old WinME based system. There may be a
    folder with part or all of the Win2K installation files in
    it. If that is the case I suggest you burn those to a
    bootable CD before doing anything else... and check on
    whether the system even has a license to run Win2K. If it's
    a system-restore CD common on some OEM boxes, you have
    similar situation that you need the OS installation files on
    CD (backed up somehow) and perhaps also need the
    "installation front-end" files themselves too, they wouldn't
    have to exist at all outside of the OEM restoration
    environment. Determine the status of the Win2K files before
    doing anything else.

    >If I do have the Win 2k CDs then what I gather is being suggested here
    >is that I re-image the new drive and then install the Win 2k over Win ME. Is
    >that correct?

    You'd image/clone/etc the old WinME system's drive to the
    new system's HDD, plug-n-play the WinME installation till it
    was working 100% on the new box. THEN run the Win2K
    compatibility checker (available somewhere on Microsoft's
    website) to see what won't work and/or needs patched or
    upgraded. At that point it might also be handy to have the
    Win2K drivers for hardware on the system, you could go ahead
    and make a folder on the HDD and copy them from (wherever)
    to the folder in a decompressed,
    ready-to-browse-to-via-wizard for when Win2K detects
    devices.

    >Would that insure the apps would all run??

    No. It will be the greatest chance of having as many apps
    as possible work on Win2K, short of reinstalling them _IF_
    they even support Win2K, else you might need newer version
    of the app or a patch, etc.

    >Is this the best
    >way to proceed? Thanks.

    Well since this is a big project with a lot of variables you
    might want to get the system to the most modern Win2k, by
    slipstreaming the Service Pack 4 files into the Win2k
    installation files, making a 2nd CD with this Win2KSP4 on it
    so when you do the upgrade it'll be current and have more
    bugs fixed, which may not help during the upgrade process,
    but might?

    There is something else that "might" be helpful, which is to
    use Regedit on the WinME system to export some registry keys
    with the hope that, if you needed to start with the original
    WIn2k install on the new box or reinstall win2k clean
    instead of a WinME upgrade, that there is a "chance" that
    copying over the application files (their respective
    folders, often found in the C:\Program Files folder for
    example) from the old box to the new one, then merging
    related registry keys exported from WinME, into the Win2k
    registry, might get them working. That could be a very
    tedious process and one might evaluate how important an
    application really is before undertaking it, but in some
    cases it's not hard to do it and it can work.

    Where to start exporting registry keys is a difficult thing
    to guesstimate, you might want

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER | SOFTWARE
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE
    HKEY_USERS | SOFTWARE

    You'd be exporting those entire subkeys w/all subkeys under
    them, or you could pick and choose specific subkeys.
    Either way at some point you might need weed though the keys
    if you wanted to merge registry info, instead of merging the
    entire exported files which would contain a lot on
    non-relevant (and potentially bad?) info. Then if you ran
    the apps that were copied over and they complained about
    files missing, if you can locate those files still present
    on the WinME system you can copy them over, either to the
    \Windows (or \WINNT) folder, \Windows\system folder, or
    somewhere in \Program Files\Common Files folder if simply
    copying the file(s) to the folder the application resides
    in, doesn't work. This is a pretty vague description and
    that's all I can do, sometimes something like this works but
    it can need be done slightly differently on a case-by-case
    basis and still some apps simply won't work for unknown
    reasons or simply not being supported under Win2K. If any
    of those apps have patches or upgrades downloadable from the
    software manufacturer you might try installing those
    patches/upgrades even if the app doesn't work, it might help
    (or might not).

    Basically what you're doing is thinking about what happens
    when one of these apps loads, whether it's looking for files
    or registry entries and trying to duplicate them manually on
    the new box from the old. Of course this is if the Win2K
    upgrade doesn't work, if it does then none of this is
    necessary. Since you have two systems you need not disturb
    the old one, will have it continually available and as such
    it may be much easier to go ahead and network them until
    you're completely finished.

    It might be good to make as many partition backups,
    incrementally as you go along this process, as possible. If
    you have a 2nd partition on the new system you can leave a
    lot of the bulk files (like Win2K installation files) there
    to make partition backups smaller.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:47:48 -0500, David Maynard
    > <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
    >

    >>jch wrote:
    >>

    >>>"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

    >>>I would be going from Win Me to Win 2000. I'm helping a friend out so it is
    >>>actually their system. I'd rather not have to reinstall all their existing
    >>>apps. Because of the change in OS, I don't think the clone method would
    >>>work. If it does, please tell me how. I was hoping there'd be an easy
    >>>process to upgrade a system and go from one HD to another. Any pointers?
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Well, the 'upgrade' to Windows 2000 makes it a moot issue as you can't
    >>'upgrade' Millennium to Windows 2000. Millennium is newer than Windows 2000
    >>so it doesn't know how to.
    >>
    >>It would work on a supported upgrade path though. You simply clone the old
    >>hard drive to the new one and then upgrade on the new hardware.
    >

    > Untrue, you can upgrade ME to 2K, it just isn't "supported".

    When I tried a WinME to Win2K upgrade the Win2K CD said not supported and
    refused to do it but I'd be interested to hear how you did it when the CD
    refuses to proceed with it.

    > The best course to take here might be to clone the old
    > system's HDD to the new HDD, then try to upgrade and see how
    > it goes... at worst the new drive just gets formatted and
    > it's back to square one again.

    I don't understand. Why would you be concerned the hard drive might get
    formatted, even 'worst case', if you're saying the upgrade would proceed as
    an upgrade?

    > <the rest directed at OP>
    >
    > Even so, IMO it might be worthwhile to do a clean install of
    > Win2K instead of having remnants of WinME mucking up a
    > perfectly good (2K) OS, especially on a new/unproven system
    > it may be easier to troubleshoot any potential problems that
    > arise... but still trying to upgrade install Win2K over ME
    > would only be an hour's time wasted, and it just might work
    > fine except for all those drivers and apps that wouldn't
    > have worked with 2K to begin with, regardless of the route
    > taken to get 2K running.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:54:03 -0500, David Maynard
    <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

    >> Untrue, you can upgrade ME to 2K, it just isn't "supported".
    >
    >When I tried a WinME to Win2K upgrade the Win2K CD said not supported and
    >refused to do it but I'd be interested to hear how you did it when the CD
    >refuses to proceed with it.

    Well I don't run WinME on anything and do clean Win2k
    installs, BUT when I googled it I found several reports from
    those who did upgrade win2k over ME. Perhaps if the CD
    refuses then there's a switch or booting to CD would work, I
    don't know.

    >> The best course to take here might be to clone the old
    >> system's HDD to the new HDD, then try to upgrade and see how
    >> it goes... at worst the new drive just gets formatted and
    >> it's back to square one again.
    >
    >I don't understand. Why would you be concerned the hard drive might get
    >formatted, even 'worst case', if you're saying the upgrade would proceed as
    >an upgrade?

    Perhaps the apps won't work under 2K or installation CDs are
    found, or whatever the reason, if the decision is made to do
    a clean install. If it weren't for salvage of the apps the
    clean install would be preferred.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:54:03 -0500, David Maynard
    > <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
    >

    >>>Untrue, you can upgrade ME to 2K, it just isn't "supported".
    >>
    >>When I tried a WinME to Win2K upgrade the Win2K CD said not supported and
    >>refused to do it but I'd be interested to hear how you did it when the CD
    >>refuses to proceed with it.
    >

    > Well I don't run WinME on anything and do clean Win2k
    > installs, BUT when I googled it I found several reports from
    > those who did upgrade win2k over ME.

    Well, I see people who installed Win2k and then copied data files from Me
    over calling that an 'upgrade' so without seeing whatever links you're
    talking about I couldn't say whether it was the kind of 'upgrade' we're
    talking about or not.

    > Perhaps if the CD
    > refuses then there's a switch or booting to CD would work, I
    > don't know.

    Perhaps. But until I knew what someone was calling an 'upgrade', what
    tricks they were playing, and if it 'worked' I wouldn't make definitive
    claims that one can do it.

    >>>The best course to take here might be to clone the old
    >>>system's HDD to the new HDD, then try to upgrade and see how
    >>>it goes... at worst the new drive just gets formatted and
    >>>it's back to square one again.
    >>
    >>I don't understand. Why would you be concerned the hard drive might get
    >>formatted, even 'worst case', if you're saying the upgrade would proceed as
    >>an upgrade?
    >

    > Perhaps the apps won't work under 2K or installation CDs are
    > found, or whatever the reason, if the decision is made to do
    > a clean install. If it weren't for salvage of the apps the
    > clean install would be preferred.

    That's the case with most upgrades.

Homebuilt Hardware HD Systems