Anyone with an Asus A7N8X-X, Athlon XP2800+ combo?

jimjim

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002

Hello,

I am wondering if someone with an A7N8X-X, XP2800+ combination can listen
any "clicking" noise coming from the left induction coil right under the
socket A when the mouse is moved.

Moreover, given that the CPU utilization is 0% can you please try to access
the web page below and report whether you listen to a high frequency noise
generated by the same coil?
(http://uk.asus.com/)

TIA

>Hello,
>
>I am wondering if someone with an A7N8X-X, XP2800+ combination can listen
>any "clicking" noise coming from the left induction coil right under the
>socket A when the mouse is moved.
>
>Moreover, given that the CPU utilization is 0% can you please try to access
>the web page below and report whether you listen to a high frequency noise
>generated by the same coil?
>(http://uk.asus.com/)
>
>TIA

Put just enough hotmelt glue on it to cover it. I have two A7N8X DLX
mobos and neither one does that.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:48:04 GMT, "jimjim"
<netuser@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am wondering if someone with an A7N8X-X, XP2800+ combination can listen
>any "clicking" noise coming from the left induction coil right under the
>socket A when the mouse is moved.
>
>Moreover, given that the CPU utilization is 0% can you please try to access
>the web page below and report whether you listen to a high frequency noise
>generated by the same coil?
>(http://uk.asus.com/)
>
>TIA

I loaded that page on the box with the a7n8x-dlx in it, no
noise, but not an XP2800.

If you were to change the CPU's default voltage or over (or
under) clock it, that might be enough to reduce occurance of
noise if not eliminate it.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:49:17 -0400, AndrewJ
<andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am wondering if someone with an A7N8X-X, XP2800+ combination can listen
>>any "clicking" noise coming from the left induction coil right under the
>>socket A when the mouse is moved.
>>
>>Moreover, given that the CPU utilization is 0% can you please try to access
>>the web page below and report whether you listen to a high frequency noise
>>generated by the same coil?
>>(http://uk.asus.com/)
>>
>>TIA
>>
>Put just enough hotmelt glue on it to cover it. I have two A7N8X DLX
>mobos and neither one does that.

Inductors can get warm to moderately hot, hot-glue is NOT a
good idea.

>Inductors can get warm to moderately hot, hot-glue is NOT a
>good idea.

If it melts away at some point it won't hurt anything so who cares. I
don't believe the coil gets as hot as my dryer. I mend work jeans with
hotmelt glue and a repair lasts for over a year of high setting drying
cycles.

jimjim

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002

>I loaded that page on the box with the a7n8x-dlx in it, no
>noise, but not an XP2800.
yeah, my friend has the a7n8x-dlx, XP2800 combo and has no problems at
all.This is one of the reasons that I chose the same cobination of
components, but apparently there are some differences btw the a7n8x-dlx and
the a7n8x-x

> If you were to change the CPU's default voltage or over (or
> under) clock it, that might be enough to reduce occurance of
> noise if not eliminate it.
yeah, this will be a good idea, as I will be able to verify whether it is
the power regulation circuit that causes this problem. Suppose I try to
under-clock it (assuming that I will still have a stable system), what
voltage should I set?

TIA

jimjim

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002

> Put just enough hotmelt glue on it to cover it.
I ve already been adviced to use epoxy ;-)

>I have two A7N8X DLX mobos and neither one does that.
yeah, my friend has the a7n8x-dlx, XP2800 combo and has no problems at
all.This is one of the reasons that I chose the same cobination of
components, but apparently there are some differences btw the a7n8x-dlx and
the a7n8x-x !

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:03:43 GMT, "jimjim"
<netuser@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>I loaded that page on the box with the a7n8x-dlx in it, no
>>noise, but not an XP2800.
>yeah, my friend has the a7n8x-dlx, XP2800 combo and has no problems at
>all.This is one of the reasons that I chose the same cobination of
>components, but apparently there are some differences btw the a7n8x-dlx and
>the a7n8x-x

The VRM circuit is almost identical, but as I mentioned in a
prior post the a7n8x-x may have lower-spec capacitors, like
those seen in this pic,
http://www.cdromland.nl/hardware/moederbordamd/asus-a7n8xx-big.jpg
Not that they're "bad" caps, not at all they are good but
not AS good when it comes to ESR. It's not like you can
easily fix that though, Rubycon's MBZ used on the -DLX are
about as low as possible for an electrolytic (ignoring their
later MCZ, not even sure if MCZ come in suitable range for
this application). Frank Zabkar made a good point in the
match. I think it'd work with a "near" match but if you had
a pair of identical inductors then it should be easy enough
to just swap them in... but frankly I'd just put epoxy on
them if the board works ok otherwise, since disassembling
system, getting RMA/ship/buy/receive/reinstall, THEN
reinstalling OS if board is different, is a whole lot of
time and effort when a blob of epoxy will do the job,
assuming it is ONLY that inductor making noise, which
should be easy enough to tell by firmly grasping it with
your fingers while it's making the noise.

>> If you were to change the CPU's default voltage or over (or
>> under) clock it, that might be enough to reduce occurance of
>> noise if not eliminate it.

>yeah, this will be a good idea, as I will be able to verify whether it is
>the power regulation circuit that causes this problem. Suppose I try to
>under-clock it (assuming that I will still have a stable system), what
>voltage should I set?

If it's that inductor #1 in the pic, it is definitely the
CPU power regulation circuit, no question about it.
If you tried underclocking you wouln't "necessarily" even
need to change the voltage. Actually a better first attempt
might be leaving the CPU speed the same and trying slightly
lower or higher voltage. I'd sooner overclock a little
rather than underclock but if you dont' want to then yes,
decreasing the voltage can be expected to work with enough
of a CPU clock speed decrease... how much depending on how
much the CPU speed is reduced. I don't even remember the
default voltage for an XP2800 but possibly 1.65V?

It may work at 1.6V at stock Xp2800 speed, try Prime95's
torture test "In-place Large FFTs" to check stability, often
a voltage too low will cause error within a minute or two in
that test. Maybe even lower voltage will work, it can vary
per CPU. If you were to raise voltage to 1.7V it'd likely
run fine at least past XP3100 speed.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:37:03 -0400, AndrewJ
<andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Inductors can get warm to moderately hot, hot-glue is NOT a
>>good idea.
>
>If it melts away at some point it won't hurt anything so who cares. I
>don't believe the coil gets as hot as my dryer. I mend work jeans with
>hotmelt glue and a repair lasts for over a year of high setting drying
>cycles.

1) It'll make a mess

2) Having a melting point that low makes hot-glue
unsuitable for use on devices that heat up. Sure you
"could" use it, but why?

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:06:54 GMT, "jimjim" <netuser@blueyonder.co.uk>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>> Put just enough hotmelt glue on it to cover it.
>I ve already been adviced to use epoxy ;-)

Vibrating windings are not uncommon occurrences, especially in TV sets
and monitors. For example, deflection coils may "sing" at certain
refresh rates. One solution that techs sometimes use is to soak the
affected part in lacquer. Just search the sci.electronics.repair NG at
Google Groups to see for yourself.

>>I have two A7N8X DLX mobos and neither one does that.
>yeah, my friend has the a7n8x-dlx, XP2800 combo and has no problems at
>all.This is one of the reasons that I chose the same cobination of
>components, but apparently there are some differences btw the a7n8x-dlx and
>the a7n8x-x !

- Franc Zabkar

jimjim

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002

Hi there,

An update about the results of overclocking: I raised the core voltage upto
1.8V and the CPU speed upto XP3200 as well as tried different combinations
but the noise persists.