What would be a fair offer for a computer like this?

Hi.

A friend of mine has a home-built computer he's looking to sell off,
and I'm considering making an offer for it. However, I really have no
idea whether what he's asking is a reasonable price. These are the
specs he's given me:

Intel P4 1.6 Ghz CPU
Intel 850MV motherboard
Tsunami 380W PSU
512 MB (128 MB x 4) Kingston Valueram RDRAM
40 GB Seagate Barracuda HD
40 GB Maxtor HD
LG Electronics 32x/10x/40x CD-RW
Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 video card
Creative SBLive Value sound card
Realtek 10/100 Ethernet network card
(Plus a standard floppy drive and a couple of rather noisy fans.)

No monitor or peripherals are included - just what's in the tower.
I'm given to understand that the system itself is a a little over
three years old, though some individual components were purchased more
recently.

What would _you_ pay for it?

Thanks,

- David Prokopetz.

Sir Bob wrote:

> Hi.
>
> A friend of mine has a home-built computer he's looking to sell off,
> and I'm considering making an offer for it. However, I really have no
> idea whether what he's asking is a reasonable price. These are the
> specs he's given me:
>
> Intel P4 1.6 Ghz CPU
> Intel 850MV motherboard
> Tsunami 380W PSU
> 512 MB (128 MB x 4) Kingston Valueram RDRAM
> 40 GB Seagate Barracuda HD
> 40 GB Maxtor HD
> LG Electronics 32x/10x/40x CD-RW
> Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
> NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 video card
> Creative SBLive Value sound card
> Realtek 10/100 Ethernet network card
> (Plus a standard floppy drive and a couple of rather noisy fans.)
>
> No monitor or peripherals are included - just what's in the tower.
> I'm given to understand that the system itself is a a little over
> three years old, though some individual components were purchased more
> recently.

Honestly, I'd give maybe $200 for it tops. I just built a system by shopping
smartly and getting some items that had rebates, for just over $400 that
smokes that system. I'm running a Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus 1.0 board that
came as a barebones system, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR memory, ATi Radeon
9600, 160GB Maxtor SATA HDD w/ 8MB cache, Athlon 2800+ cpu, and I used
existing CD-R/RW and DVD drives, which I could have easily replaced with
better stuff for $50 more.

On 30 Oct 2004 11:48:00 -0700, sirbob@penguinking.com (Sir
Bob) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>A friend of mine has a home-built computer he's looking to sell off,
>and I'm considering making an offer for it. However, I really have no
>idea whether what he's asking is a reasonable price. These are the
>specs he's given me:
>
>Intel P4 1.6 Ghz CPU
>Intel 850MV motherboard
>Tsunami 380W PSU
>512 MB (128 MB x 4) Kingston Valueram RDRAM
>40 GB Seagate Barracuda HD
>40 GB Maxtor HD
>LG Electronics 32x/10x/40x CD-RW
>Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
>NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 video card
>Creative SBLive Value sound card
>Realtek 10/100 Ethernet network card
>(Plus a standard floppy drive and a couple of rather noisy fans.)
>
>No monitor or peripherals are included - just what's in the tower.
>I'm given to understand that the system itself is a a little over
>three years old, though some individual components were purchased more
>recently.
>
>What would _you_ pay for it?

1. Does it include licensed software, particularly the
Operating System? Which operating system? Is it set up so
that you have remedy if something went wrong, for example a
partition image provided on CDRs, or (see #2)

2. Is the friend willing to fix any problems within
reasonable period of time, for an agreed upon duration?

I wouldn't buy a used system as anything more than salvage,
dirt-cheap, but it's largely because i don't need any
semi-older systems... if I were looking for one:

If "no" to #1 and "yes" to #2 then $200, maybe slightly more
if in a decent case and fairly clean or less if it's really
loud and looks like frankenstein.

> Intel P4 1.6 Ghz CPU

That can go in the trash

> Intel 850MV motherboard
> Tsunami 380W PSU
> 512 MB (128 MB x 4) Kingston Valueram RDRAM

Should be able to get a good £150 for that on eBay

> 40 GB Seagate Barracuda HD
> 40 GB Maxtor HD

£20 ea, depending on condition

> LG Electronics 32x/10x/40x CD-RW

Fairly slow these days

> Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
> NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 video card

Good card, thrashes the hell out of an FX5600

> Creative SBLive Value sound card
> Realtek 10/100 Ethernet network card
> (Plus a standard floppy drive and a couple of rather noisy fans.)
>
> What would _you_ pay for it?

About £200, purely because of the memorys value.

hamman

Hamman wrote:

>> LG Electronics 32x/10x/40x CD-RW
>
> Fairly slow these days

Maybe in the rated speed, but there's less very little realistic time
differences in burning at 52X and a 32x. There were quite a few benchmarks
running around when burners hit 48X about how little difference there is.