building a server

i need some advice

i need to build a file server

i know i need a 160GB but what cpu/ram/mob do you suggest??

In article <zB0hd.35464$Qs6.2464328@news20.bellglobal.com>, rays
says...
> i need some advice
>
> i need to build a file server
>
> i know i need a 160GB but what cpu/ram/mob do you suggest??

Something old like a P3 system and stick 512MB in it. That way you've
got something that'll run nice'n'quiet.

A fileserver doesn't have to have a great CPU/RAM spec as at the end of
the day, the data speed it outputs is dictated by the LAN and all HDDs
can outperform a 100MBit network card for data transfer.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

"rays" <nosey.style@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> i need some advice
>
> i need to build a file server
>
> i know i need a 160GB but what cpu/ram/mob do you suggest??

I have a file storage / web / ftp machine that is:

Dual P2's @ 233MHz
512Mb PC100

which was upgraded from:

Dual P1 MMX's @ 200MHz
128Mb EDO 66MHz

The older system was more than adequate for anything i could throw at it,
with the exception of more advanced PHP, ASP and ASP.net scripts.

hamman

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:36:08 -0500, "rays"
<nosey.style@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> i need some advice
>
>i need to build a file server
>
>i know i need a 160GB but what cpu/ram/mob do you suggest??

It's pretty easy to overkill a build for a filesever, if we
had some idea of the scenarios involved, number of clients,
lan speed, etc, we could better advise.

In general for a 100Mb home lan anything new enough to have
PCI busmastering (Pentium 1) is fine, though the 160Gb HDD
size would require an ATA100 card or better, or a
motherboard with bios supportive. It'd be good to gave at
least 120MB memory and a chipset the can cache more than
64MB, but not necessary.

GbE might benefit from 1GHz CPU or a little faster, and more
memory.

If you'll not need more than the single HDD you might look
into a miniATX or ITX sized system based around a Via Epia,
though it does seem rather limiting to only build for 1 HDD
capacity.

If the system will be on 24/7 then more focus might be put
on power suppply quality, noise levels, power consumption.

> i need to build a file server
> i know i need a 160GB but what cpu/ram/mob do you suggest??

File serving is about bottleneck - which is I/O dependent:
o HD I/O limit
---- single-user = 40MB/sec *sustained*, far less if lots of seeking
---- multiple-user = <<30MB/sec, since a lot of time is spent seeking
---- more seeking = more electromechanical positioning = lower MB/sec
o LAN I/O limit
---- 100Mbps = 10MB/sec at 80% utilisation
-------- so LAN I/O is the weakest link for single-user
---- Gigabit = 80-100MB/sec at similar utiilsation
-------- so HD I/O is the weakest link for single-user

CPU I/O limit & Memory I/O limit are vastly higher than those figures,
where 100Mbps is 10MB/sec the CPU & memory in 40-400x that figure.

So your CPU/RAM/Motherboard come down as much to economics:
o P1 or P2 solution -- fine power wise, cost is convoluted
---- board is cheap
---- RAM will be EDO -- not so cheap/available
---- PSU will be AT -- not so cheap/available (adapters are pricey)
o P3 solution -- fine power wise, cost far less convoluted
---- RAM is PC133 -- expensive for 512MB, not much for 128MB (cheap)
---- USB support -- easy to add a USB printer, share it & you have a print server
---- Celeron is 10-20$ for 667Mhz through to Tualatin (1-1.2Ghz)
o P4 solution -- overkill power wise, but cost may not be so bad
---- RAM is DDR -- cheap for 128MB, 256MB etc
---- CPU is pricey -- unfortunately even a 1.7Ghz Celeron is overpriced
---- motherboard may be cheap -- early S478 boards are going cheap

That is for Intel, there is of course - AMD.
o Duron solution -- fine power wise, cheap boards, cheap recent memory
---- some models don't run particularly hot either
o Athlon solution -- same argument, but overkill like a P4
---- you CAN underclock an Athlon to make it super low power
---- you CAN also join bridges (silver paint) to make a Mobile-Athlon (low power)

A final alternative is Mini-ITX - even the boring as mud base model 533Mhz fan-less.
o Power draw is minimal -- a mouse in a cage can power them almost
o Capability is minimal -- yet more than enough for a file-server
o Price may be minimal -- not for the special PSUs, but the base-model boards are cheap

I'd go for an Asus Skt370 with onboard graphics, simple Celeron, 256MB.
If you choose a Celeron 667Mhz (cheap the minimum the board will support :) then you
can actually get away with a passive heatsink - or at least minimal cooling. Cheap &
quiet.

Consider if a part fails - does it mean the rest of the PC is a write-off.
o Probably not since it can be sold on Ebay
o However very old (P1 P2) solutions will have obsoleted more, fewer buyers

Asus did fine Duron-capable boards (Skt-A), so you should also price that route out.

If you must have new components, I'd price out Duron on Asus, or a used Celeron CPU.
Price/economics wise the Celeron are still not very good compared to alternatives.

A file server stresses the CPU/RAM very little - it stress the LAN if 100Mbps, or the HD
if you have Gigabit 1000Mbps - and neither if it is a simple home appliance serving
MP3s.

Have fun :)
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

If it's just for home or small office, check out the Buffalo LinkStation.
It's cheap and not as easy to reboot as peer to peer servers.

Ian