building a system with two separate motherboards in the ch..

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 1, 2004 9:45:47 AM

hi...

i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis, running
off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!

each board would have it's own cup/mem/drive/etc...(no floppy/cdrom). the
boards would run a stripped down version of linux, and would be independent
systems...

the critical issues have to do with a single power supply, single ethernet
connection, and a single keyboard/mouse. eventually, i'd like the entire
config/interface with the system be able to be handled via the ethernet
connection...

any thoughts/insight/comments would be helpful...

this is for a serious project, kind of a consumer blade server...

thanks

bruce
bedouglas@earthlink.net
November 1, 2004 3:42:43 PM

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

There are commercial versions of blade chassis using ATX motherboards. Take
a look at the following URLs:

http://www.rackmount.com/Rackmt/ATXBladeS100.htm
http://www.extremenode.com/
http://www.atxblade.com

Ron

Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in message news:<ep7co057q320fq2a5h243mkbu2dkashql1@4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:45:47 GMT, "bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis, running
> >off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
> >anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
> >like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141
Related resources
November 1, 2004 7:43:39 PM

almost....

however, he simply uses separate power supplies for each system. i'm looking
to be able to have a single power supply drive the entire system. but at the
same time, i'm only looking to put two/dual motherboards and the associated
3-4 drives into my chassis....

thanks...

bruce

"Spajky" <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:45:47 GMT, "bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis,
running
> >off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
> >anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
> >like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141
> --
> Regards, SPAJKY ®
> & visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
> "Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"
> E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2004 9:16:38 PM

In the days of AT PSUs, it was easy to get 1-2-3 m/bs running off 1 PSU.

As we have moved into ATX boards you have 3 problems:
o PowerGood signal -- required to turn things on
o Remote Voltage Sensing -- usually limited to the 3.3V rail
o Enough PSU capacity -- verify carefully per rail & rail grouping

The solutions are:
o Proper industrial solution -- these are a PCB to create new ATX feeds
---- input -- you have 1 big or multiple big PSUs, ATX input plugs
---- output -- you have multiple output feeds, ATX output plugs
---- used in the Mini-PCI and industrial backplane arena
o Hope-it-works-solution
---- comes down to voltage, managing the capacity & watching 3.3V rail
---- it also may be an expensive exercise

If space is an issue, what not use 1U PSUs?
o Typical 350W unit is 220x42x101mm L-H-W
o You can potentially fit 2 in less space occupated by an ATX PSU

There are smaller 150-250W versions, Sub-1U, as used in early Shuttle.
They are both cheaper and around 180x42x83mm wide (check on width).

Again, re size, why not fit 2x 1U chassis together - and use 2x 1U PSUs.
o There are short-depth chassis for limited-expansion applications
---- width will be standard EIA rack width, but depth can be quite short
---- Ebay is your best bet here to at least view various types
o Alternatively, you could use a 2U case and fit 2 boards in it
---- Some 2U chassis use a 2U PSU - ie, you could make 2x 1U PSUs fit in it

There are boards to get 2x 1U PSU into 1-redundant-output, a few mosfets
and a bit of circuitry to prevent the PSUs feeding one another. However,
you want 2 m/bs to run off 1 PSU. There are PSUs to do this - at a price.

If the chassis going to be custom, you've less problems. I'd convert a flight
case to fit, but would use 2x 1U PSUs for simple uptime / repair / cost / proven.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

Your idea has problems ahead...

--
DaveW

"bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> hi...
>
> i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis,
> running
> off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
> anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
> like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!
>
> each board would have it's own cup/mem/drive/etc...(no floppy/cdrom). the
> boards would run a stripped down version of linux, and would be
> independent
> systems...
>
> the critical issues have to do with a single power supply, single ethernet
> connection, and a single keyboard/mouse. eventually, i'd like the entire
> config/interface with the system be able to be handled via the ethernet
> connection...
>
> any thoughts/insight/comments would be helpful...
>
> this is for a serious project, kind of a consumer blade server...
>
> thanks
>
> bruce
> bedouglas@earthlink.net

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2004 4:12:57 AM

> this is for a serious project, kind of a consumer blade server...

Didn't see this bit.
o I will not comment on the viability of a consumer blade server
---- in its purest form, blade servers are about Coloco density
---- together with locking you in to proprietarised solutions :-)
o If the project is serious, approach the industrial mini-PCI racks crowd
---- they may have a plug-n-go board that will do what you want
---- price wise, it may not be particularly cheap - but works + proven

Mini-PCI commonly run many "ATX-like-boards" in a 3U, 6U, 8U chassis.
They allow off-the-shelf PSUs to be used - rather than "5x 1U PSUs in one
with multiple ATX connector outlets or N+1 redundancy at 4-figs-&-up".

Frankly, 1U or a sub-1U PSU per motherboard is cheap redundancy.

ATX blades are a sheet-metal-solution - less sunk cost than lots of 1U
"dead-metal" sunk cost, and potential for better cooling. Care needed tho.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
!