building a system with two separate motherboards in the ch..

hi...

i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis, running
off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!

each board would have it's own cup/mem/drive/etc...(no floppy/cdrom). the
boards would run a stripped down version of linux, and would be independent
systems...

the critical issues have to do with a single power supply, single ethernet
connection, and a single keyboard/mouse. eventually, i'd like the entire
config/interface with the system be able to be handled via the ethernet
connection...

any thoughts/insight/comments would be helpful...

this is for a serious project, kind of a consumer blade server...

thanks

bruce
bedouglas@earthlink.net
6 answers Last reply
More about building system separate motherboards

    http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    There are commercial versions of blade chassis using ATX motherboards. Take
    a look at the following URLs:

    http://www.rackmount.com/Rackmt/ATXBladeS100.htm
    http://www.extremenode.com/
    http://www.atxblade.com

    Ron

    Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in message news:<ep7co057q320fq2a5h243mkbu2dkashql1@4ax.com>...
    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:45:47 GMT, "bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis, running
    > >off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
    > >anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
    > >like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!
    >
    > http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141

    almost....

    however, he simply uses separate power supplies for each system. i'm looking
    to be able to have a single power supply drive the entire system. but at the
    same time, i'm only looking to put two/dual motherboards and the associated
    3-4 drives into my chassis....

    thanks...

    bruce

    "Spajky" <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:45:47 GMT, "bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis,
    running
    > >off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
    > >anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
    > >like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!
    >
    > http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141
    > --
    > Regards, SPAJKY ®
    > & visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    > "Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"
    > E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    In the days of AT PSUs, it was easy to get 1-2-3 m/bs running off 1 PSU.

    As we have moved into ATX boards you have 3 problems:
    o PowerGood signal -- required to turn things on
    o Remote Voltage Sensing -- usually limited to the 3.3V rail
    o Enough PSU capacity -- verify carefully per rail & rail grouping

    The solutions are:
    o Proper industrial solution -- these are a PCB to create new ATX feeds
    ---- input -- you have 1 big or multiple big PSUs, ATX input plugs
    ---- output -- you have multiple output feeds, ATX output plugs
    ---- used in the Mini-PCI and industrial backplane arena
    o Hope-it-works-solution
    ---- comes down to voltage, managing the capacity & watching 3.3V rail
    ---- it also may be an expensive exercise

    If space is an issue, what not use 1U PSUs?
    o Typical 350W unit is 220x42x101mm L-H-W
    o You can potentially fit 2 in less space occupated by an ATX PSU

    There are smaller 150-250W versions, Sub-1U, as used in early Shuttle.
    They are both cheaper and around 180x42x83mm wide (check on width).

    Again, re size, why not fit 2x 1U chassis together - and use 2x 1U PSUs.
    o There are short-depth chassis for limited-expansion applications
    ---- width will be standard EIA rack width, but depth can be quite short
    ---- Ebay is your best bet here to at least view various types
    o Alternatively, you could use a 2U case and fit 2 boards in it
    ---- Some 2U chassis use a 2U PSU - ie, you could make 2x 1U PSUs fit in it

    There are boards to get 2x 1U PSU into 1-redundant-output, a few mosfets
    and a bit of circuitry to prevent the PSUs feeding one another. However,
    you want 2 m/bs to run off 1 PSU. There are PSUs to do this - at a price.

    If the chassis going to be custom, you've less problems. I'd convert a flight
    case to fit, but would use 2x 1U PSUs for simple uptime / repair / cost / proven.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury
    www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

    Your idea has problems ahead...

    --
    DaveW

    "bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > hi...
    >
    > i'm considering a system with two motherboards in a single chassis,
    > running
    > off a single power supply. has anybody created this kind of system, does
    > anybody have anyone they can recommend that i can talk to who has??? i'd
    > like to be able to build the box using mobos/parts from my local frys!
    >
    > each board would have it's own cup/mem/drive/etc...(no floppy/cdrom). the
    > boards would run a stripped down version of linux, and would be
    > independent
    > systems...
    >
    > the critical issues have to do with a single power supply, single ethernet
    > connection, and a single keyboard/mouse. eventually, i'd like the entire
    > config/interface with the system be able to be handled via the ethernet
    > connection...
    >
    > any thoughts/insight/comments would be helpful...
    >
    > this is for a serious project, kind of a consumer blade server...
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > bruce
    > bedouglas@earthlink.net

    > this is for a serious project, kind of a consumer blade server...

    Didn't see this bit.
    o I will not comment on the viability of a consumer blade server
    ---- in its purest form, blade servers are about Coloco density
    ---- together with locking you in to proprietarised solutions :-)
    o If the project is serious, approach the industrial mini-PCI racks crowd
    ---- they may have a plug-n-go board that will do what you want
    ---- price wise, it may not be particularly cheap - but works + proven

    Mini-PCI commonly run many "ATX-like-boards" in a 3U, 6U, 8U chassis.
    They allow off-the-shelf PSUs to be used - rather than "5x 1U PSUs in one
    with multiple ATX connector outlets or N+1 redundancy at 4-figs-&-up".

    Frankly, 1U or a sub-1U PSU per motherboard is cheap redundancy.

    ATX blades are a sheet-metal-solution - less sunk cost than lots of 1U
    "dead-metal" sunk cost, and potential for better cooling. Care needed tho.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury

Homebuilt Power Supplies Motherboards Systems