Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to reverse a Firewire bridge ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2004 10:05:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a FireWire card I want to plug into an ATA connector on
an embedded board without PCI bus.

I want to reduce the size of the box by replacing the internal hard
drive with a firewire interface card.

Is it possible ?

I know that there's a lot of firewire to ata bridges on the wild but I
made a test with one of them without success.

I undoubtedly made some mistake, especially that I'm not sure it's
possible to reverse the bridge use.

Thanks in advance,
--
Philippe
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2004 10:30:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:05:53 +0100, NulModem@hayes.com
(NulModem) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking for a FireWire card I want to plug into an ATA connector on
>an embedded board without PCI bus.
>
>I want to reduce the size of the box by replacing the internal hard
>drive with a firewire interface card.
>
>Is it possible ?
>
> I know that there's a lot of firewire to ata bridges on the wild but I
>made a test with one of them without success.
>
>I undoubtedly made some mistake, especially that I'm not sure it's
>possible to reverse the bridge use.
>
>Thanks in advance,

It is not possible to reverse it.
ATA interface is not a peer to peer bridge, it is host to
client. You can attach ATA devices (drives), not anything
else that I'm aware of.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2004 12:02:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks for your answer. I'm very disappointed but I suspected it.

Anyway, does the SedNet 1394 I/O board from mindready suit my needs ?

www.mindready.com

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> It is not possible to reverse it.
> ATA interface is not a peer to peer bridge, it is host to
> client. You can attach ATA devices (drives), not anything
> else that I'm aware of.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2004 1:45:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:02:12 +0100, NulModem@hayes.com
(NulModem) wrote:

>Thanks for your answer. I'm very disappointed but I suspected it.
>
>Anyway, does the SedNet 1394 I/O board from mindready suit my needs ?
>
>www.mindready.com
>


I've never used one, if you can hook it up to your board
then it does seem a good solution.
!