How to reverse a Firewire bridge ?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a FireWire card I want to plug into an ATA connector on
an embedded board without PCI bus.

I want to reduce the size of the box by replacing the internal hard
drive with a firewire interface card.

Is it possible ?

I know that there's a lot of firewire to ata bridges on the wild but I
made a test with one of them without success.

I undoubtedly made some mistake, especially that I'm not sure it's
possible to reverse the bridge use.

Thanks in advance,
--
Philippe
3 answers Last reply

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:05:53 +0100, NulModem@hayes.com
    (NulModem) wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm looking for a FireWire card I want to plug into an ATA connector on
    >an embedded board without PCI bus.
    >
    >I want to reduce the size of the box by replacing the internal hard
    >drive with a firewire interface card.
    >
    >Is it possible ?
    >
    > I know that there's a lot of firewire to ata bridges on the wild but I
    >made a test with one of them without success.
    >
    >I undoubtedly made some mistake, especially that I'm not sure it's
    >possible to reverse the bridge use.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    It is not possible to reverse it.
    ATA interface is not a peer to peer bridge, it is host to
    client. You can attach ATA devices (drives), not anything
    else that I'm aware of.

    Thanks for your answer. I'm very disappointed but I suspected it.

    Anyway, does the SedNet 1394 I/O board from mindready suit my needs ?

    www.mindready.com

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:02:12 +0100, NulModem@hayes.com
    (NulModem) wrote:

    >Thanks for your answer. I'm very disappointed but I suspected it.
    >
    >Anyway, does the SedNet 1394 I/O board from mindready suit my needs ?
    >
    >www.mindready.com

    I've never used one, if you can hook it up to your board
    then it does seem a good solution.

Homebuilt Firewire Systems