prescott temperature, how to reduce it?

Hi,

I've just changes some components in my PC, and now I have a prescott.
But the temperature is always high ! (54deg. IDLE)
So the fan always turn at 80 to 100% of its capacity.

How to reduce this?
What results can I reached if I add another fan?
If I'have to pay more, I prefer to change the processor to another.

The problem is the noise, and specially when the fan is at 100%!

also, what are the supported temperatures of the prescott?
Can I force the system to reduce the fan speed without problem? (using
the Asus tools)

The usage of this computer is office and development related.

Thanks.

(PS: Reply to my email please.)

Clyde

J?j? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just changes some components in my PC, and now I have a prescott.
> But the temperature is always high ! (54deg. IDLE)
> So the fan always turn at 80 to 100% of its capacity.
>
> How to reduce this?
> What results can I reached if I add another fan?
> If I'have to pay more, I prefer to change the processor to another.
>
> The problem is the noise, and specially when the fan is at 100%!
>
> also, what are the supported temperatures of the prescott?
> Can I force the system to reduce the fan speed without problem? (using
> the Asus tools)
>
> The usage of this computer is office and development related.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (PS: Reply to my email please.)

When I went from the 3.0 to the Prescott 3.2, I put on a Zalman 7000 CU
heatsink/fan. It does seem to run a bit hotter even then. However, my
Intel Active Monitor doesn't ever give me any warnings. (It did before.)
I'm guessing that the Prescott not only runs hotter, but is designed to
run hotter.

Clyde

On 2 Nov 2004 04:33:58 -0800, willgart@hotmail.com (J?j?)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just changes some components in my PC, and now I have a prescott.
>But the temperature is always high ! (54deg. IDLE)
>So the fan always turn at 80 to 100% of its capacity.
>
>How to reduce this?
>What results can I reached if I add another fan?
>If I'have to pay more, I prefer to change the processor to another.
>
>The problem is the noise, and specially when the fan is at 100%!
>
>also, what are the supported temperatures of the prescott?
>Can I force the system to reduce the fan speed without problem? (using
>the Asus tools)
>
>The usage of this computer is office and development related.
>
>Thanks.
>
>(PS: Reply to my email please.)

you can reduce fan speed, use a different fan with lower max
rpm, or a different heatsink altogether. 54 idle temp is
already high enough that your full load temp might not allow
much lower fan speed.

If your case has poor ventilation, yes you should add
another fan OR look at ways to improve airflow (reduce
intake and exhaust passage restrictions) with the fans you
already have.

Official supported temp is somewhat irrelevant, you are well
within safe margin for physical damage but rather the issue
would be instability or thermal throttling, both figures are
not fully disclosed by Intel, perhaps intentionally. Try to
keep CPU below 65C at full load.

The upper temperature limit of the Prescott's is 70 C. And they inherently,
due to design problems, tend to run close to that when installed. Thus with
a Prescott in use, the fan WILL run fast.

--
DaveW

"J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just changes some components in my PC, and now I have a prescott.
> But the temperature is always high ! (54deg. IDLE)
> So the fan always turn at 80 to 100% of its capacity.
>
> How to reduce this?
> What results can I reached if I add another fan?
> If I'have to pay more, I prefer to change the processor to another.
>
> The problem is the noise, and specially when the fan is at 100%!
>
> also, what are the supported temperatures of the prescott?
> Can I force the system to reduce the fan speed without problem? (using
> the Asus tools)
>
> The usage of this computer is office and development related.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (PS: Reply to my email please.)

Gonzo

J?j? <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just changes some components in my PC, and now I have a prescott.
> But the temperature is always high ! (54deg. IDLE)
> So the fan always turn at 80 to 100% of its capacity.
>
> How to reduce this?
> What results can I reached if I add another fan?
> If I'have to pay more, I prefer to change the processor to another.
>
> The problem is the noise, and specially when the fan is at 100%!
>
> also, what are the supported temperatures of the prescott?
> Can I force the system to reduce the fan speed without problem? (using
> the Asus tools)
>
> The usage of this computer is office and development related.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (PS: Reply to my email please.)

You could try cutting a hole in the side of the case, directly
opposite the heat sink, to channel air directly to the chip.
Take a look at the Intel site, the article about thermally advantaged cases.
I did this with my own case, which was an old one. Chip runs at 41Deg.
rising to 51 if worked hard.

In article <f5c61a45.0411020433.3b2bee4
@posting.google.com>, willgart@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> I've just changes some components in my PC, and now I have a prescott.
> But the temperature is always high ! (54deg. IDLE)
> So the fan always turn at 80 to 100% of its capacity.
>
> How to reduce this?

I'll probably get lynched...

Sell it and buy an Opteron/AMD64 system (the Opteron 144
that I have runs at 45C).

(It's a joke. Kinda.)

My P4 2.8E is now running at 27 (in normal use word, excel, IE, outlook).
I'm using the original heatsink, fan and TIM. The case has a 120mm exaustion
fan, running undervolted, to put air out, very near the cpu fan.

My system is a Mainboard MSI 875PE Neo2 FISR

P2.8 Prescott

Under normal use.
Room temperature ~ 22ºC
CPU TEMP ~26ºC
CPU FAN RPM 1300

Under Prime 95
(Max heat option)

Máx. CPU temp 44ºC. At this temperature the CPU fan raises to 2400 and then
the CPU temp drops to 43ºC.

I'm using the Intel cooling solution. IMHO you should use the Intel TIM! and
a good exaustion Fan near the CPU fan.

Silva

On 6-Nov-2004, "NSA" <m.silva@netcabo.pt> wrote:

> From: "NSA" <m.silva@netcabo.pt>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
> Subject: Re: prescott temperature, how to reduce it?
> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 21:30:14 -0000
>
> My system is a Mainboard MSI 875PE Neo2 FISR
>
> P2.8 Prescott
>
> Under normal use.
> Room temperature ~ 22ºC
> CPU TEMP ~26ºC
> CPU FAN RPM 1300
>
> Under Prime 95
> (Max heat option)
>
> Máx. CPU temp 44ºC. At this temperature the CPU fan raises to 2400 and
> then
> the CPU temp drops to 43ºC.
>
> I'm using the Intel cooling solution. IMHO you should use the Intel TIM!
> and
> a good exaustion Fan near the CPU fan.
>
> Silva

Are you using a Prescott 478 pin or a Prescott LGA775 processor?. My guess
is your using the latter, which runs a lot cooler than the LGA775 (3Ghz)
processor I'm using.

Intel's cooling solution and TIM appears to work well with Prescott 478 pin
processors, according to this article:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=prescottheat

However, on my LGA775 processor I found that it ran much hotter using
Intel's cooling solution:

Idle:
-----

CPU temp: 47C

Chassis temp: 34C

PSU temp: 42C

Hot (Test software: CPU Burn-in v1.0 by Michal Mienik):
----

CPU temp: 59C

Chassis temp: 35C

PSU temp: 54C

Oh and I should add that this was after I used the heatsink compound. With
Intel's TIM, add 10C to the above results!. Whether or not an exhaust fan
under the PSU, as per Intel's design guide, would have helped or not is
debatable since I have no room in my case to fit such a fan. Though I would
certainly recommend those with more modern cases to do so.

This article more or less sums up my views on the Intel heatsink. Also note
that the author appears to have been using a heatsink compound rather than a
TIM!: http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000316

It was only after I started using the Thermaltake Tower102. With two, 92mm,
2500RPM fans that I was finally able to reduce the CPU's temperature by a
further 6/7C:

Idle:
-----

CPU temp: 41C (down 6C)

Chassis temp: 32C (down 2C)

PSU temp: 41C (down 1C)

Hot:
----

CPU temp: 52C (down 7C)

Chassis temp: 35C (same)

PSU temp: 56C (up 2C)

And these temperature readings are in the same ball park as the temperatures
quoted here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=prescottheat

And if your right about the fan under the PSU, then that should reduce the
CPU's temperature even more.

Willard.