Wake up on LAN

Hi all,

In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
how I can put it into operation?

I have two questions:

1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
any one of ‘em.

2. How can I boot form LAN, is there any software for it?

Where am I going wrong?

TIA
11 answers Last reply
More about wake

    Jack// ani wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
    > how I can put it into operation?
    >
    > I have two questions:
    >
    > 1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
    > both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
    > any one of ‘em.
    >
    > 2. How can I boot form LAN, is there any software for it?
    >
    > Where am I going wrong?
    >
    > TIA

    Check out the following page for a start:

    http://www.madge.com/_assets/downloads/lsshelp8.0/LSSHelp/AdvFeat/WonLAN/WonLAN2.htm

    If you do a Google for "wake on LAN" you can find all kinds of
    information relative to your questions.

    > In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
    > how I can put it into operation?
    >
    > I have two questions:
    >
    > 1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
    > both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
    > any one of ‘em.

    That is expected. To wake it up you need to send it a magic packet.
    This is a packet (encapulated in any protocol you like) that contains
    a magic sequence. This sequence is specific to your NIC so you might
    need to research into it.

    > 2. How can I boot form LAN, is there any software for it?

    Typically there is an option in the BIOS to boot from lan (set as 1 of
    the boot devices). This normally causes the NIC to hit a DHCP server
    and then download the kernel from the given TFTP server.

    -- Chris

    "Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
    > > In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
    > > how I can put it into operation?
    > >
    > > I have two questions:
    > >
    > > 1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
    > > both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
    > > any one of 'em.
    >
    > That is expected. To wake it up you need to send it a magic packet.
    > This is a packet (encapulated in any protocol you like) that contains
    > a magic sequence.

    To find the magic packet, you need go to the nearest park and look for the
    magic tree. The magic packet is buried near the magic tree.

    "Ar Q" wrote:
    > "Chris Ballance" wrote:
    > > > In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
    > > > how I can put it into operation?
    > > >
    > > > I have two questions:
    > > >
    > > > 1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
    > > > both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
    > > > any one of 'em.
    > >
    > > That is expected. To wake it up you need to send it a magic packet.
    > > This is a packet (encapulated in any protocol you like) that contains
    > > a magic sequence.
    >
    > To find the magic packet, you need go to the nearest park and look for the
    > magic tree. The magic packet is buried near the magic tree.

    Be careful, though. Don't believe the old man when he says the magic packet
    is in his pocket.

    Jon.

    nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com (Jack// ani) wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
    > how I can put it into operation?
    >
    > I have two questions:
    >
    > 1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
    > both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
    > any one of ‘em.
    >
    > 2. How can I boot form LAN, is there any software for it?
    >
    > Where am I going wrong?
    >
    > TIA

    Your NIC must support wake-on-LAN as well as the BIOS.

    JS <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message news:<Xns9595F3D5A8F2BDQ1V66HO78NX3AGH5MJX@127.0.0.1>...
    > nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com (Jack// ani) wrote in

    > Your NIC must support wake-on-LAN as well as the BIOS.

    Well it supports, now all I need is a wake up on lan cable and supporting software.

    Any suggestions about software??

    JS wrote:
    > nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com (Jack// ani) wrote in
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>In CMOS setup you have an option, "wake up on LAN", does anybody know
    >>how I can put it into operation?
    >>
    >>I have two questions:
    >>
    >>1. My both PCs are connected by cross cable, this option is enabled on
    >>both, but unfortunately the other one won't wake up when I switch on
    >>any one of ‘em.
    >>
    >>2. How can I boot form LAN, is there any software for it?
    >>
    >>Where am I going wrong?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >

    > Your NIC must support wake-on-LAN as well as the BIOS.
    PLUS, if you use the NIC, it needs to have the wol cable installed
    correctly!

    JS <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message news:<Xns9595F3D5A8F2BDQ1V66HO78NX3AGH5MJX@127.0.0.1>...
    > nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com (Jack// ani) wrote in

    > Your NIC must support wake-on-LAN as well as the BIOS.

    Well it supports, now all I need is a wake up on lan cable and supporting software.

    Any suggestions about software??
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On 3 Nov 2004 08:10:13 -0800, nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com
    (Jack// ani) wrote:

    >JS <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message news:<Xns9595F3D5A8F2BDQ1V66HO78NX3AGH5MJX@127.0.0.1>...
    >> nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com (Jack// ani) wrote in
    >
    >> Your NIC must support wake-on-LAN as well as the BIOS.
    >
    >Well it supports, now all I need is a wake up on lan cable and supporting software.
    >
    >Any suggestions about software??

    Many if not most semi-modern motherboards do not need the
    cable or software. If there are bios settings relevant to
    it, set those, and see the properites for the nic driver in
    your OS.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Jack// ani wrote:
    > JS <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message news:<Xns9595F3D5A8F2BDQ1V66HO78NX3AGH5MJX@127.0.0.1>...
    >
    >>nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com (Jack// ani) wrote in
    >

    >>Your NIC must support wake-on-LAN as well as the BIOS.
    >

    > Well it supports, now all I need is a wake up on lan cable and supporting software.
    >
    > Any suggestions about software??
    The 'software' is the CMOS SETTINGS in your computer, plus, either the
    ASUStek admin package included on most of their board driver CDroms, or
    in any GNU/Linux OSes...
    try a goole search for WOL Software, it's FREE!
    http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/wol.htm

    search here, also: http://google.com/linux

    found these:

    http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/wol/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    patrick <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:<9BVjd.23144$As5.10224@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>...

    > The 'software' is the CMOS SETTINGS in your computer, plus, either the
    > ASUStek admin package included on most of their board driver CDroms, or
    > in any GNU/Linux OSes...
    > try a goole search for WOL Software, it's FREE!
    > http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/wol.htm
    >
    > search here, also: http://google.com/linux
    >
    > found these:
    >
    > http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/