Help! P4 upgrade problem

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium (Prescot)
system.

I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and memory
(512Mb of DDR3200).

I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
done a few). But I have problems...

My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
BIOS) but then nothing.

Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
Windows logo.

I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I get
the message: "Boot from CD:".

One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool data..."
and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it tries
to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?

Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will not
boot.

BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bobby
30 answers Last reply
More about help upgrade problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    (Prescot)
    > system.
    >
    > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    memory
    > (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >
    > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    > done a few). But I have problems...
    >
    > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
    > BIOS) but then nothing.
    >
    > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > Windows logo.
    >
    > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    get
    > the message: "Boot from CD:".
    >
    > One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    data..."
    > and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it
    tries
    > to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    >
    > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
    > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
    not
    > boot.
    >
    > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    > connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
    > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Bobby

    You need to do a repair install of XP. It doesn't recognize the new
    hardware.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    (Prescot)
    > system.
    >
    > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    memory
    > (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >
    > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    > done a few). But I have problems...
    >
    > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
    > BIOS) but then nothing.
    >
    > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > Windows logo.
    >
    > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    get
    > the message: "Boot from CD:".
    >
    > One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    data..."
    > and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it
    tries
    > to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    >
    > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
    > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
    not
    > boot.
    >
    > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    > connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
    > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Bobby

    First things I would check is the PSU and the CPU cooling.
    Is the PSU powerful enough? It should be at least 350 W. Better is 450 W
    from known brand. Dis you apply thermal paste on the cooler? Is it well
    fixed? Is the fan spinning?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    > (Prescot) system.
    >
    > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    > memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >
    > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems
    > (I've done a few). But I have problems...
    >
    > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access
    > the BIOS) but then nothing.
    >
    > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > Windows logo.

    Visit your mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest bios for the
    new board, (google for Prescott SP2), it's a well documented problem.

    You may get away with a repair install, but as you've changed some major
    components I'd perform a clean install for stability (after backing up
    your stuff).

    It is possible to re-use an XP installation, I've done it myself a few
    times, but you must clean out ALL drivers from device manager that are
    in any way related to your mobo - before you change the hardware (guess
    it's too late to do this ;-)

    Bios should sort out your main problem.

    --
    Apollo
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Is the PSU powerful enough? It should be at least 350 W. Better is 450 W
    > from known brand.

    No-name 450W power supply. Was working fine before this upgrade (previosuly
    an Athlon 2000 with same memory (512Mb)).

    > Dis you apply thermal paste on the cooler?

    A Pentium 4 (Prescott) comes with the paste already applied to the cooler.

    > Is it well fixed?

    I fixed it as-per the instructions. It also feels solid to me.

    > Is the fan spinning?

    Yes. All fans (CPU, mobo, graphics, and two extra case fans) all spinning.

    What makes you think that it's heat or an incorrectly installed CPU/cooler?
    The POST passes and I can access the BIOS OK. Doesn't that infer that
    everything is installed OK?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > You need to do a repair install of XP. It doesn't recognize the new
    > hardware.

    I can't get my system to boot from HD or CD (DVD). It just hangs (see
    original post).
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Visit your mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest bios for the new
    > board, (google for Prescott SP2), it's a well documented problem.

    I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. Do you mean that many Abit
    boards have the same problem as the one I described?

    > You may get away with a repair install, but as you've changed some major
    > components I'd perform a clean install for stability (after backing up
    > your stuff).

    Please re-read my original post. I can't boot from HD or CD so how can I do
    a repair install?

    > Bios should sort out your main problem.

    I don't see how. It's a brand-new mobo with a very recent BIOS so I don't
    see how an BIOS update will help.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    |> Visit your mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest bios for the
    new
    | > board, (google for Prescott SP2), it's a well documented problem.
    |
    | I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. Do you mean that many Abit
    | boards have the same problem as the one I described?
    |
    | > You may get away with a repair install, but as you've changed some major
    | > components I'd perform a clean install for stability (after backing up
    | > your stuff).
    |
    | Please re-read my original post. I can't boot from HD or CD so how can I
    do
    | a repair install?
    |
    | > Bios should sort out your main problem.
    |
    | I don't see how. It's a brand-new mobo with a very recent BIOS so I don't
    | see how an BIOS update will help.

    Hi Bobby -

    Might help if you post your motherboard model (yes, I see you say it's built
    by Abit... but Abit does make many boards). Might also help if you also
    post your exact CPU model, PSU, memory, etc. Post the same information on
    your thread over at Abit's forum (http://forum.abit-usa.com) as well.

    That said... there was an issue with Prescott CPU's and Windows XP SP2,
    requiring many motherboard manufacturers to issue BIOS updates due to out of
    date microcode. Case in point, Abit's IS7:

    http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=79

    .... had BIOS version 22 released September 22nd to address this issue.

    Jef
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Might help if you post your motherboard model (yes, I see you say it's
    > built
    > by Abit... but Abit does make many boards). Might also help if you also
    > post your exact CPU model, PSU, memory, etc.

    Abit IC7-G with Intel Pentium Prestcott 4 running at 3GHz with 512 Mb DDR
    3200 RAM (branded).

    > That said... there was an issue with Prescott CPU's and Windows XP SP2,
    > requiring many motherboard manufacturers to issue BIOS updates due to out
    > of
    > date microcode. Case in point, Abit's IS7:
    >
    > http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=79
    >
    > ... had BIOS version 22 released September 22nd to address this issue.

    How do I upgrade my BIOS if I can't boot my PC from HD or CD?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    >> Might help if you post your motherboard model (yes, I see you say it's
    >> built
    >> by Abit... but Abit does make many boards). Might also help if you also
    >> post your exact CPU model, PSU, memory, etc.
    >
    > Abit IC7-G with Intel Pentium Prestcott 4 running at 3GHz with 512 Mb DDR
    > 3200 RAM (branded).
    >
    >> That said... there was an issue with Prescott CPU's and Windows XP SP2,
    >> requiring many motherboard manufacturers to issue BIOS updates due to out
    >> of
    >> date microcode. Case in point, Abit's IS7:
    >>
    >> http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=79
    >>
    >> ... had BIOS version 22 released September 22nd to address this issue.
    >
    > How do I upgrade my BIOS if I can't boot my PC from HD or CD?

    Will it boot from floppy ? Bios can be upgraded then.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi,
    I had the same problem with a mobo MSI (with a Prescott). To solve it : go
    to the Bios and disable the HyperThreading option.

    Phil

    "ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    > (Prescot)
    > > system.
    > >
    > > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    > memory
    > > (512Mb of DDR3200).
    > >
    > > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    > > done a few). But I have problems...
    > >
    > > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access
    the
    > > BIOS) but then nothing.
    > >
    > > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > > Windows logo.
    > >
    > > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    > get
    > > the message: "Boot from CD:".
    > >
    > > One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    > data..."
    > > and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it
    > tries
    > > to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    > >
    > > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked
    all
    > > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
    > not
    > > boot.
    > >
    > > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    > > connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that
    my
    > > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    > >
    > > Thanks in anticipation.
    > >
    > > Bobby
    > >

    > First things I would check is the PSU and the CPU cooling.
    > Is the PSU powerful enough? It should be at least 350 W. Better is 450 W
    > from known brand. Dis you apply thermal paste on the cooler? Is it well
    > fixed? Is the fan spinning?

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    | Thanks v much Jeff for this advice. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning
    and
    | let you know how I get on.
    |
    | I'm not confident that this will fix things. Why should my current bios
    | (which is v22 - quite recent) stop my CD/DVD from booting?
    |
    | Thanks again.
    |
    | Bobby

    Hi Bobby -

    Not sure why your CD/DVD isn't booting. Could be that you're never getting
    past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage of the POST. Are you ever getting
    a message such as "press any key to boot from CD"?

    Could be tied to the need to update the CPU microcode for your Prescott
    processor.

    In any event, test several times that you are able to successfully boot to a
    DOS boot disk prior to attempting the BIOS flash... just so you're certain
    that you are stable.

    Good luck!

    Jef
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Could be that you're never getting
    > past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage of the POST. Are you ever
    > getting
    > a message such as "press any key to boot from CD"?

    No. Simply "Boot from CD:"

    > Could be tied to the need to update the CPU microcode for your Prescott
    > processor.

    Hmm. I don't have a spare floppy (I have one in the problem machine) so I'll
    have to wait before I can try to apply the firmware upgrade. My mobo is
    brand new with a farily recent BIOS (v22 dated 02/24/04) so I'm not
    confident that this will work. But I'll try.

    > In any event, test several times that you are able to successfully boot to
    > DOS boot disk prior to attempting the BIOS flash... just so you're certain
    > that you are stable.

    Thanks Jef, I'll try this. What if I can't boot from floppy? What would that
    tell you?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I might be getting somewhere...

    I think that my PC resets during the Windows boot (from HD) because I've
    changed the mobo and CPU. Is that possible? I gather XP does not like major
    hardware changes.

    So the problem comes down to why the CD will not boot. My POST screen passes
    so quickly that it's very hard to read but I think it reports a problem with
    "an 80 pin cable" on the second IDE channel (IDE1 is fine). All my IDE
    devices are reported correctly (one HD, two CD/DVD drives and an LS120).

    I've disconnected the IDE2 cable and substituted that cable. No difference.
    So it's not the cable.

    But could it be the IDE connections on the mobo? If there's something wrong
    with either (?) of these, would that prevent my PC booting from CD?

    I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get an
    Athlon 64 rig in its place.

    Thanks to everyone who has tried to help.

    Bobby
    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    > (Prescot) system.
    >
    > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    > memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >
    > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    > done a few). But I have problems...
    >
    > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
    > BIOS) but then nothing.
    >
    > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > Windows logo.
    >
    > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    > get the message: "Boot from CD:".
    >
    > One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    > data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
    > before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    >
    > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
    > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
    > not boot.
    >
    > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    > connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
    > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Bobby

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:26:33 -0000, "Bobby"
    <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

    >I might be getting somewhere...
    >
    >I think that my PC resets during the Windows boot (from HD) because I've
    >changed the mobo and CPU. Is that possible? I gather XP does not like major
    >hardware changes.

    yes, that is the likely cause

    >So the problem comes down to why the CD will not boot. My POST screen passes
    >so quickly that it's very hard to read

    you can press the PAUSE key on keyboard to (pause it),
    usually.

    >but I think it reports a problem with
    >"an 80 pin cable" on the second IDE channel (IDE1 is fine).

    Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
    but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
    on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
    properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
    shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.

    >All my IDE
    >devices are reported correctly (one HD, two CD/DVD drives and an LS120).
    >
    >I've disconnected the IDE2 cable and substituted that cable. No difference.
    >So it's not the cable.

    Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
    drives?

    Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
    drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.

    >But could it be the IDE connections on the mobo? If there's something wrong
    >with either (?) of these, would that prevent my PC booting from CD?

    That could cause a problem but it's quite rare for that kind
    of defect. Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
    try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
    drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
    booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
    work already. Also you can try booting the HDD from the
    channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
    should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
    seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
    first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
    devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.

    >I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get an
    >Athlon 64 rig in its place.

    Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
    bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
    setup menu. Also recheck the optical drive (and all other
    bootable drive) settings. Set them to Auto and if there's a
    "try other devices", try enabling it if not enabled already,
    and you might try disabling other non-used boot entries and
    move the CDROM drive up to the top of the boot order list.

    ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
    setting optical to single/master jumper setting.

    I suppose you're certain the drive was working (including
    booting from same CD) prior to the motherboard swap?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    |> Could be that you're never getting
    | > past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage of the POST. Are you ever
    | > getting
    | > a message such as "press any key to boot from CD"?
    |
    | No. Simply "Boot from CD:"
    |
    | > Could be tied to the need to update the CPU microcode for your Prescott
    | > processor.
    |
    | Hmm. I don't have a spare floppy (I have one in the problem machine) so
    I'll
    | have to wait before I can try to apply the firmware upgrade. My mobo is
    | brand new with a farily recent BIOS (v22 dated 02/24/04) so I'm not
    | confident that this will work. But I'll try.
    |
    | > In any event, test several times that you are able to successfully boot
    | > DOS boot disk prior to attempting the BIOS flash... just so you're
    certain
    | > that you are stable.
    |
    | Thanks Jef, I'll try this. What if I can't boot from floppy? What would
    that
    | tell you?

    Hi Bobby -

    If you cannot stably boot from a floppy there's no sense in trying to flash
    your BIOS -- you'll be risking corruption during the flash process and would
    end up needing a new BIOS chip or having your existing chip reflashed.
    Personally I'd borrow or beg a non-Prescott CPU to attempt the flash if I
    couldn't stably boot with the Prescott CPU.

    I cannot stress highly enough: do not attempt to flash your BIOS if your
    computer is not stable booted to DOS.

    Your BIOS is more than eight months old. In terms of computer motherboards,
    that's a lifetime! There have been four revisions to your motherboard's
    BIOS during that six month period -- that's a whole lot of error correction
    and improvement to support new technologies. Prescott CPU's were still in
    development when your BIOS was born. Your statement that your motherboard
    is "brand new" is a non sequitur... it's been sitting on the shelf for
    months, waiting for you to buy it.

    Another question: who makes your power supply unit (PSU) and what are the
    ratings on it's label. For instance, my Antec TruePower 430 PSU has the
    following information:

    Total Max Output 430 watts
    +5V, +12V & +3.3V Max Output 410 watts

    +5V 36 amps
    +12V 20 amps
    +3.3V 28 amps
    -5V .5 amps
    -12V 1.0 amps
    +5VSB 2.0 amps

    Abit boards are becoming more and more fussy about the quality of power
    driving them. When I built my latest system, based on an Abit NF7, I
    sourced the PSU at 400 watts minimum. You further should consider that
    cheap or generic PSU's (like those that come installed in most computer
    cases) don't put out the clean power needed to run many newer boards. The
    +5V, +12V and +3.3V rails are the most important to consider. Your board
    may simply be crashing prior to being able to boot, even though you're
    making it through the POST (power-on self test).

    Jef
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > you can press the PAUSE key on keyboard to (pause it),
    > usually.

    Thanks. I'll give that a try.

    > Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
    > but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
    > on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
    > properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
    > shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.

    I have an old DVD drive on IDE2 so that would explain why that channel is
    running at ATA33 (which it is according to the POST screen). Would that
    explain the "80 pin" warning?

    > Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
    > drives?

    These weren't changed (IDE0 - HD master, DVD slave; IDE1 - LS120 master; DVD
    slave).

    > Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
    > drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.

    Don't know what you mean.

    >>But could it be the IDE connections on the mobo? If there's something
    >>wrong
    >>with either (?) of these, would that prevent my PC booting from CD?
    >
    > That could cause a problem but it's quite rare for that kind
    > of defect.

    Yes, I don't think so either. I'm grasping at straws.

    > Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
    > try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
    > drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
    > booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
    > work already.

    My DVD is attached to the same channel as my HD (IDE0).

    > Also you can try booting the HDD from the
    > channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
    > should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
    > seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
    > first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
    > devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.

    What does this message mean? Sometimes it completes with Verifying DMI
    pool... success" and sometimes it's just "Verifying DMI pool...".

    >>I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get
    >>an
    >>Athlon 64 rig in its place.
    >
    > Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
    > bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
    > setup menu.

    An Anthlon 64 3000+ (with mobo) saves me £50 over my current config. But I'm
    worried that I have exactly the same problem with this new config.

    > Also recheck the optical drive (and all other
    > bootable drive) settings. Set them to Auto and if there's a
    > "try other devices", try enabling it if not enabled already,
    > and you might try disabling other non-used boot entries and
    > move the CDROM drive up to the top of the boot order list.

    Done all that.

    > ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
    > setting optical to single/master jumper setting.

    Good idea. I will give that a try (I will make the DVD the only device on
    IDE0 and make it master and remove the HD from this channel).

    > I suppose you're certain the drive was working (including
    > booting from same CD) prior to the motherboard swap?

    That's the odd thing. Everything was working fine before making this change.
    I haven't changed any settings or jumpers so I really don't think that it's
    a jumper setting on any of my boot devices.

    Oh well. I'll give it a try and see. But if it's not working by tomorrow
    morning I will replace the whole thing with an Athlon 64.

    I took my whole box back to the supplier but they refused to test it saying
    that I must identify the faulty device (I purchased CPU, mobo and RAM from
    them) before they will replace it. They offered to test my system for £35.
    It was bought on Friday (yesterday).

    Thanks for your help.

    Bobby
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > I cannot stress highly enough: do not attempt to flash your BIOS if your
    > computer is not stable booted to DOS.

    I'll try to upgrade the BIOS tonight. I have v22 and the current version is
    26. I will be major pissed-off if this works (which I doubt).

    > Another question: who makes your power supply unit (PSU) and what are the
    > ratings on it's label. For instance, my Antec TruePower 430 PSU has the
    > following information:

    I have a 450W no-name PSU. But it wasn't cheap and has dual fans and feels
    good quality. Lots of connectors - including the dual power connectors
    required for P4 mobos.

    > Your board
    > may simply be crashing prior to being able to boot, even though you're
    > making it through the POST (power-on self test).

    Is that likely? And how come my HD tries to boot (it resets when -
    presumably - Windows finds - radically - new hardware).

    Thanks again Jef.

    Bobby
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    another idea to your problem is also when installing a new mobo you have to
    reinstall windows xp. othere wise that is teh problem you have how it starts
    up and restarts again. i kno i have had this problem many times with
    computers at work.

    David

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    > (Prescot) system.
    >
    > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    > memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >
    > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    > done a few). But I have problems...
    >
    > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
    > BIOS) but then nothing.
    >
    > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > Windows logo.
    >
    > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    > get the message: "Boot from CD:".
    >
    > One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    > data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
    > before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    >
    > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
    > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
    > not boot.
    >
    > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    > connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
    > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Bobby

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes, that would explain why XP starts and then re-starts half way through
    the boot process. But how come I can't access my CD/DVD drive? Without this
    access I can't re-install Windows.

    I have two CD drives and neither work (I've checked cables etc.).

    Bobby

    "David" <David_Tooley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > another idea to your problem is also when installing a new mobo you have
    > to reinstall windows xp. othere wise that is teh problem you have how it
    > starts up and restarts again. i kno i have had this problem many times
    > with computers at work.
    >
    > David
    >

    > "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    >> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    >> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    >> (Prescot) system.
    >>
    >> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    >> memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >>
    >> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    >> done a few). But I have problems...
    >>
    >> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
    >> BIOS) but then nothing.
    >>
    >> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    >> Windows logo.
    >>
    >> I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    >> get the message: "Boot from CD:".
    >>
    >> One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    >> data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
    >> before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    >>
    >> Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked
    >> all of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing
    >> will not boot.
    >>
    >> BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    >> connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that
    >> my system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation.
    >>
    >> Bobby

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:19:53 -0000, "Bobby"
    <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

    >> Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
    >> but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
    >> on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
    >> properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
    >> shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.
    >
    >I have an old DVD drive on IDE2 so that would explain why that channel is
    >running at ATA33 (which it is according to the POST screen). Would that
    >explain the "80 pin" warning?

    Reread what I wrote, it is an alert.

    >> Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
    >> drives?
    >
    >These weren't changed (IDE0 - HD master, DVD slave; IDE1 - LS120 master; DVD
    >slave).

    So you didn't recheck them?

    >> Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
    >> drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.
    >
    >Don't know what you mean.

    Multimeter, take readings at the problem drive and ATX
    motherboard connector.

    >> Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
    >> try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
    >> drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
    >> booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
    >> work already.
    >
    >My DVD is attached to the same channel as my HD (IDE0).

    Old DVD drives often have trouble reading CDR, and sometimes
    CDs, I'd focus on booting from the CDRW.

    >> Also you can try booting the HDD from the
    >> channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
    >> should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
    >> seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
    >> first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
    >> devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.
    >
    >What does this message mean? Sometimes it completes with Verifying DMI
    >pool... success" and sometimes it's just "Verifying DMI pool...".

    It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
    thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
    working.

    >>>I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get
    >>>an
    >>>Athlon 64 rig in its place.
    >>
    >> Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
    >> bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
    >> setup menu.
    >
    >An Anthlon 64 3000+ (with mobo) saves me £50 over my current config. But I'm
    >worried that I have exactly the same problem with this new config.

    yes you might if it's the media, cables, power supply or
    drives. Check and eliminate as many of those variables as
    possible.

    >> ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
    >> setting optical to single/master jumper setting.
    >
    >Good idea. I will give that a try (I will make the DVD the only device on
    >IDE0 and make it master and remove the HD from this channel).

    You might try unplugging ALL drives except the CDRW,
    jumpering it as master.

    >Oh well. I'll give it a try and see. But if it's not working by tomorrow
    >morning I will replace the whole thing with an Athlon 64.
    >
    >I took my whole box back to the supplier but they refused to test it saying
    >that I must identify the faulty device (I purchased CPU, mobo and RAM from
    >them) before they will replace it. They offered to test my system for £35.
    >It was bought on Friday (yesterday).

    Tell them your Credit Card company or small claims court and
    the BBB, may not see it that way. They sold you the bundle
    knowing the parts would be used together (yes?). If so you
    are not required to determine which is at fault, only that
    they don't work together. Towards that end you need be sure
    the other parts you already had aren't the problem, not
    their parts.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:19:53 -0000, "Bobby"
    > <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
    >>>but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
    >>>on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
    >>>properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
    >>>shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.
    >>
    >>I have an old DVD drive on IDE2 so that would explain why that channel is
    >>running at ATA33 (which it is according to the POST screen). Would that
    >>explain the "80 pin" warning?
    >

    > Reread what I wrote, it is an alert.
    >

    >>>Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
    >>>drives?
    >>
    >>These weren't changed (IDE0 - HD master, DVD slave; IDE1 - LS120 master; DVD
    >>slave).
    >

    > So you didn't recheck them?
    >

    >>>Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
    >>>drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.
    >>
    >>Don't know what you mean.
    >

    > Multimeter, take readings at the problem drive and ATX
    > motherboard connector.
    >

    >>>Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
    >>>try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
    >>>drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
    >>>booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
    >>>work already.
    >>
    >>My DVD is attached to the same channel as my HD (IDE0).
    >

    > Old DVD drives often have trouble reading CDR, and sometimes
    > CDs, I'd focus on booting from the CDRW.
    >

    >>>Also you can try booting the HDD from the
    >>>channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
    >>>should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
    >>>seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
    >>>first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
    >>>devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.
    >>
    >>What does this message mean? Sometimes it completes with Verifying DMI
    >>pool... success" and sometimes it's just "Verifying DMI pool...".
    >

    > It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
    > thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
    > working.

    I'm not so sure it means nothing.

    He should check here for DMI information.

    >>>Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
    >>>bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
    >>>setup menu.
    >>
    >>An Anthlon 64 3000+ (with mobo) saves me £50 over my current config. But I'm
    >>worried that I have exactly the same problem with this new config.
    >

    > yes you might if it's the media, cables, power supply or
    > drives. Check and eliminate as many of those variables as
    > possible.
    >

    >>>ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
    >>>setting optical to single/master jumper setting.
    >>
    >>Good idea. I will give that a try (I will make the DVD the only device on
    >>IDE0 and make it master and remove the HD from this channel).
    >

    > You might try unplugging ALL drives except the CDRW,
    > jumpering it as master.
    >

    >>Oh well. I'll give it a try and see. But if it's not working by tomorrow
    >>morning I will replace the whole thing with an Athlon 64.
    >>
    >>I took my whole box back to the supplier but they refused to test it saying
    >>that I must identify the faulty device (I purchased CPU, mobo and RAM from
    >>them) before they will replace it. They offered to test my system for £35.
    >>It was bought on Friday (yesterday).
    >>

    > Tell them your Credit Card company or small claims court and
    > the BBB, may not see it that way. They sold you the bundle
    > knowing the parts would be used together (yes?). If so you
    > are not required to determine which is at fault, only that
    > they don't work together. Towards that end you need be sure
    > the other parts you already had aren't the problem, not
    > their parts.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:16:49 -0600, David Maynard
    <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

    >> It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
    >> thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
    >> working.
    >
    >I'm not so sure it means nothing.
    >
    >He should check here for DMI information.
    >
    >http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

    All issues on the link lead back to same conclusion though,
    that it's what i mentioned, boot device related.

    The exception was corrupt bios but the system does finish
    and boot to the HDD, before windows fails due to the
    NT-moved-HDD situation.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:16:49 -0600, David Maynard
    > <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
    >

    >>>It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
    >>>thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
    >>>working.
    >>
    >>I'm not so sure it means nothing.
    >>
    >>He should check here for DMI information.
    >>
    >>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
    >>

    > All issues on the link lead back to same conclusion though,
    > that it's what i mentioned, boot device related.

    Right. But it confirms it's a device/partition problem separate from the
    NT-moved-HDD situation.

    It's also just good to know because that DMI message confuses the heck out
    of people.

    > The exception was corrupt bios but the system does finish
    > and boot to the HDD, before windows fails due to the
    > NT-moved-HDD situation.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I did as one or two of you suggested and made the CD/DVD drive a boot
    (master) device on its own channel (IDE1 - I left the HD on IDE0).

    It booted from the Windows CD! I then installed XP SR1 and then SP2.
    Everything was fine. Until this morning...

    It booted OK - but noticed that it was running hot (66-68C once reached
    70C - under no stress beyond Internet browsing). Then... a reset and back to
    "Boot from CD:" and a hang! I couldn't believe it.

    So I'm back to square one. And the mobos going back to the shop - along with
    the CPU. I've read of Prescott's running hot and this rig seems jinxed.

    Bobby

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
    > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
    > (Prescot) system.
    >
    > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
    > memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    >
    > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
    > done a few). But I have problems...
    >
    > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
    > BIOS) but then nothing.
    >
    > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
    > Windows logo.
    >
    > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
    > get the message: "Boot from CD:".
    >
    > One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
    > data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
    > before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
    >
    > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
    > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
    > not boot.
    >
    > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
    > connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
    > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Bobby

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    If it was running hot, most likely your CPU fan has failed,
    reinstalling the OS does not fix the fan.

    |I did as one or two of you suggested and made the CD/DVD
    drive a boot
    | (master) device on its own channel (IDE1 - I left the HD
    on IDE0).

    | It booted from the Windows CD! I then installed XP SR1 and
    then SP2.
    | Everything was fine. Until this morning...
    |
    | It booted OK - but noticed that it was running hot (66-68C
    once reached
    | 70C - under no stress beyond Internet browsing). Then... a
    reset and back to
    | "Boot from CD:" and a hang! I couldn't believe it.
    |
    | So I'm back to square one. And the mobos going back to the
    shop - along with
    | the CPU. I've read of Prescott's running hot and this rig
    seems jinxed.

    | Bobby
    |

    | "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    | > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now.
    So I took the
    | > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a
    new Pentium
    | > (Prescot) system.
    | >
    | > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4
    at 3GHz) and
    | > memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    | >
    | > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory
    without problems (I've
    | > done a few). But I have problems...
    | >
    | > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I
    can also access the
    | > BIOS) but then nothing.
    | >
    | > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets
    when I reach the
    | > Windows logo.
    | >
    | > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the
    PC hangs when I
    | > get the message: "Boot from CD:".
    | >
    | > One strange thing. The first message I get is:
    "Verifying DMI pool
    | > data..." and some times I get "success" and other times
    I get nothing
    | > before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this
    normal?

    | > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the
    BIOS. I've checked all
    | > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the
    damn thing will
    | > not boot.
    | >
    | > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a
    power cable is
    | > connected and a red one (according to the manual this
    simply means that my
    | > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    | >
    | > Thanks in anticipation.
    | >
    | > Bobby

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    If the CPU fan failed, my system would run more than hot!

    All fans operational.

    Bobby

    > If it was running hot, most likely your CPU fan has failed,
    > reinstalling the OS does not fix the fan.

    > "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > |I did as one or two of you suggested and made the CD/DVD
    > drive a boot
    > | (master) device on its own channel (IDE1 - I left the HD
    > on IDE0).
    > |
    > | It booted from the Windows CD! I then installed XP SR1 and
    > then SP2.
    > | Everything was fine. Until this morning...
    > |
    > | It booted OK - but noticed that it was running hot (66-68C
    > once reached
    > | 70C - under no stress beyond Internet browsing). Then... a
    > reset and back to
    > | "Boot from CD:" and a hang! I couldn't believe it.
    > |
    > | So I'm back to square one. And the mobos going back to the
    > shop - along with
    > | the CPU. I've read of Prescott's running hot and this rig
    > seems jinxed.
    > |
    > | Bobby
    > |

    > | "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > | > I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now.
    > So I took the
    > | > plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a
    > new Pentium
    > | > (Prescot) system.
    > | >
    > | > I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4
    > at 3GHz) and
    > | > memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
    > | >
    > | > I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory
    > without problems (I've
    > | > done a few). But I have problems...
    > | >
    > | > My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I
    > can also access the
    > | > BIOS) but then nothing.
    > | >
    > | > Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets
    > when I reach the
    > | > Windows logo.
    > | >
    > | > I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the
    > PC hangs when I
    > | > get the message: "Boot from CD:".
    > | >
    > | > One strange thing. The first message I get is:
    > "Verifying DMI pool
    > | > data..." and some times I get "success" and other times
    > I get nothing
    > | > before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this
    > normal?
    > | >
    > | > Help! I've tried everything including resetting the
    > BIOS. I've checked all
    > | > of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the
    > damn thing will
    > | > not boot.
    > | >
    > | > BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a
    > power cable is
    > | > connected and a red one (according to the manual this
    > simply means that my
    > | > system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
    > | >
    > | > Thanks in anticipation.
    > | >
    > | > Bobby

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Running hot has a reason and it isn't fixed by reinstalling
    the OS. Bad thermal compound, a dirty heat sink, something
    physical.

    | If the CPU fan failed, my system would run more than hot!
    |
    | All fans operational.
    |
    | Bobby

    in message
    | > If it was running hot, most likely your CPU fan has
    failed,
    | > reinstalling the OS does not fix the fan.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    | > |I did as one or two of you suggested and made the
    CD/DVD
    | > drive a boot
    | > | (master) device on its own channel (IDE1 - I left the
    HD
    | > on IDE0).
    | > |
    | > | It booted from the Windows CD! I then installed XP SR1
    and
    | > then SP2.
    | > | Everything was fine. Until this morning...
    | > |
    | > | It booted OK - but noticed that it was running hot
    (66-68C
    | > once reached
    | > | 70C - under no stress beyond Internet browsing).
    Then... a
    | > reset and back to
    | > | "Boot from CD:" and a hang! I couldn't believe it.
    | > |
    | > | So I'm back to square one. And the mobos going back to
    the
    | > shop - along with
    | > | the CPU. I've read of Prescott's running hot and this
    rig
    | > seems jinxed.
    | > |
    | > | Bobby
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    | > So I took the
    | > new Pentium

    (Prescot P4
    | > at 3GHz) and

    | > without problems (I've

    | > can also access the

    | > when I reach the

    | > PC hangs when I

    | > "Verifying DMI pool
    | > I get nothing
    | > normal?

    | > BIOS. I've checked all
    | > damn thing will

    | > power cable is
    | > simply means that my

    | > |
    | > |

  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:38:08 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Running hot has a reason and it isn't fixed by reinstalling
    >the OS. Bad thermal compound, a dirty heat sink, something
    >physical.

    Intel CPUs rarely run hot for those reasons. As a matter of fact, you
    can usually run them in worse environment without ill effect. (Not
    the same with AMDs)

    They can run hot if they're defective or the motherboard is defective.
    The OP has the right idea, IMO. Most likely a bad MB.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes, I think that it was.

    I have now replaced my Abit/P4 combo with an Asus/Athlon 64 rig which is
    running at 38-44C -- that 24C cooler than the Prescott.

    Thanks to everyone who offered advice. My new mobo and CPU appears to be
    working fine (and the Athlon 64 seems just as fast was the P4 Prescott 3.0).

    Cheers.

    Bobby

    "CS" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:38:08 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >
    >>Running hot has a reason and it isn't fixed by reinstalling
    >>the OS. Bad thermal compound, a dirty heat sink, something
    >>physical.
    >
    > Intel CPUs rarely run hot for those reasons. As a matter of fact, you
    > can usually run them in worse environment without ill effect. (Not
    > the same with AMDs)
    >
    > They can run hot if they're defective or the motherboard is defective.
    > The OP has the right idea, IMO. Most likely a bad MB.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 14:15:40 -0600, CS <nomail@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:38:08 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    ><p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >
    >>Running hot has a reason and it isn't fixed by reinstalling
    >>the OS. Bad thermal compound, a dirty heat sink, something
    >>physical.
    >
    >Intel CPUs rarely run hot for those reasons. As a matter of fact, you
    >can usually run them in worse environment without ill effect. (Not
    >the same with AMDs)
    >
    >They can run hot if they're defective or the motherboard is defective.
    >The OP has the right idea, IMO. Most likely a bad MB.

    It is extremely rare for a motherboard to cause a CPU to run
    hot, unless misconfigured by user or at factory. It MIGHT
    misreport the temp though, or not have the power management
    bugs out so it doesn't HLT-ldle the CPU properly, which
    could account for the idle temp being higher, but it would
    then not be nearly so much of a temp rise from pseudo-idle
    to full load.

    The three most common reasons for hot CPU (IMO) are:

    1) Heatsink - very rough finish, defective (or low quality,
    not flat) or improperly installed

    2) Inadequate case airflow

    3) Motherboard bios misreporting temp (higher than actual)
    or HLT-Idle bug (or windows/other software putting CPU into
    busy loop at higher than idle priority).

Homebuilt Hardware Microsoft Systems