Help! P4 upgrade problem

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium (Prescot)
system.

I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and memory
(512Mb of DDR3200).

I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
done a few). But I have problems...

My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
BIOS) but then nothing.

Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
Windows logo.

I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I get
the message: "Boot from CD:".

One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool data..."
and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it tries
to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?

Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will not
boot.

BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?

Thanks in anticipation.

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
(Prescot)
> system.
>
> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
memory
> (512Mb of DDR3200).
>
> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
> done a few). But I have problems...
>
> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
> BIOS) but then nothing.
>
> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
> Windows logo.
>
> I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
get
> the message: "Boot from CD:".
>
> One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
data..."
> and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it
tries
> to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
>
> Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
> of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
not
> boot.
>
> BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
> connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
> system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Bobby

You need to do a repair install of XP. It doesn't recognize the new
hardware.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
(Prescot)
> system.
>
> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
memory
> (512Mb of DDR3200).
>
> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
> done a few). But I have problems...
>
> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
> BIOS) but then nothing.
>
> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
> Windows logo.
>
> I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
get
> the message: "Boot from CD:".
>
> One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
data..."
> and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing before it
tries
> to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
>
> Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
> of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
not
> boot.
>
> BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
> connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
> system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Bobby

First things I would check is the PSU and the CPU cooling.
Is the PSU powerful enough? It should be at least 350 W. Better is 450 W
from known brand. Dis you apply thermal paste on the cooler? Is it well
fixed? Is the fan spinning?

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
> (Prescot) system.
>
> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
> memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
>
> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems
> (I've done a few). But I have problems...
>
> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access
> the BIOS) but then nothing.
>
> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
> Windows logo.

Visit your mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest bios for the
new board, (google for Prescott SP2), it's a well documented problem.

You may get away with a repair install, but as you've changed some major
components I'd perform a clean install for stability (after backing up
your stuff).

It is possible to re-use an XP installation, I've done it myself a few
times, but you must clean out ALL drivers from device manager that are
in any way related to your mobo - before you change the hardware (guess
it's too late to do this ;-)

Bios should sort out your main problem.

--
Apollo

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Is the PSU powerful enough? It should be at least 350 W. Better is 450 W
> from known brand.

No-name 450W power supply. Was working fine before this upgrade (previosuly
an Athlon 2000 with same memory (512Mb)).

> Dis you apply thermal paste on the cooler?

A Pentium 4 (Prescott) comes with the paste already applied to the cooler.

> Is it well fixed?

I fixed it as-per the instructions. It also feels solid to me.

> Is the fan spinning?

Yes. All fans (CPU, mobo, graphics, and two extra case fans) all spinning.

What makes you think that it's heat or an incorrectly installed CPU/cooler?
The POST passes and I can access the BIOS OK. Doesn't that infer that
everything is installed OK?

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> You need to do a repair install of XP. It doesn't recognize the new
> hardware.

I can't get my system to boot from HD or CD (DVD). It just hangs (see
original post).

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Visit your mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest bios for the new
> board, (google for Prescott SP2), it's a well documented problem.

I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. Do you mean that many Abit
boards have the same problem as the one I described?

> You may get away with a repair install, but as you've changed some major
> components I'd perform a clean install for stability (after backing up
> your stuff).

Please re-read my original post. I can't boot from HD or CD so how can I do
a repair install?

> Bios should sort out your main problem.

I don't see how. It's a brand-new mobo with a very recent BIOS so I don't
see how an BIOS update will help.

|> Visit your mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest bios for the
new
| > board, (google for Prescott SP2), it's a well documented problem.
|
| I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. Do you mean that many Abit
| boards have the same problem as the one I described?
|
| > You may get away with a repair install, but as you've changed some major
| > components I'd perform a clean install for stability (after backing up
| > your stuff).
|
| Please re-read my original post. I can't boot from HD or CD so how can I
do
| a repair install?
|
| > Bios should sort out your main problem.
|
| I don't see how. It's a brand-new mobo with a very recent BIOS so I don't
| see how an BIOS update will help.

Hi Bobby -

Might help if you post your motherboard model (yes, I see you say it's built
by Abit... but Abit does make many boards). Might also help if you also
post your exact CPU model, PSU, memory, etc. Post the same information on
your thread over at Abit's forum (http://forum.abit-usa.com) as well.

That said... there was an issue with Prescott CPU's and Windows XP SP2,
requiring many motherboard manufacturers to issue BIOS updates due to out of
date microcode. Case in point, Abit's IS7:

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=79

.... had BIOS version 22 released September 22nd to address this issue.

Jef

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Might help if you post your motherboard model (yes, I see you say it's
> built
> by Abit... but Abit does make many boards). Might also help if you also
> post your exact CPU model, PSU, memory, etc.

Abit IC7-G with Intel Pentium Prestcott 4 running at 3GHz with 512 Mb DDR
3200 RAM (branded).

> That said... there was an issue with Prescott CPU's and Windows XP SP2,
> requiring many motherboard manufacturers to issue BIOS updates due to out
> of
> date microcode. Case in point, Abit's IS7:
>
> http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=79
>
> ... had BIOS version 22 released September 22nd to address this issue.

How do I upgrade my BIOS if I can't boot my PC from HD or CD?

>> Might help if you post your motherboard model (yes, I see you say it's
>> built
>> by Abit... but Abit does make many boards). Might also help if you also
>> post your exact CPU model, PSU, memory, etc.
>
> Abit IC7-G with Intel Pentium Prestcott 4 running at 3GHz with 512 Mb DDR
> 3200 RAM (branded).
>
>> That said... there was an issue with Prescott CPU's and Windows XP SP2,
>> requiring many motherboard manufacturers to issue BIOS updates due to out
>> of
>> date microcode. Case in point, Abit's IS7:
>>
>> http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=79
>>
>> ... had BIOS version 22 released September 22nd to address this issue.
>
> How do I upgrade my BIOS if I can't boot my PC from HD or CD?

Will it boot from floppy ? Bios can be upgraded then.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,
I had the same problem with a mobo MSI (with a Prescott). To solve it : go
to the Bios and disable the HyperThreading option.

Phil

| Thanks v much Jeff for this advice. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning
and
| let you know how I get on.
|
| I'm not confident that this will fix things. Why should my current bios
| (which is v22 - quite recent) stop my CD/DVD from booting?
|
| Thanks again.
|
| Bobby

Hi Bobby -

Not sure why your CD/DVD isn't booting. Could be that you're never getting
past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage of the POST. Are you ever getting
a message such as "press any key to boot from CD"?

Could be tied to the need to update the CPU microcode for your Prescott
processor.

In any event, test several times that you are able to successfully boot to a
DOS boot disk prior to attempting the BIOS flash... just so you're certain
that you are stable.

Good luck!

Jef

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Could be that you're never getting
> past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage of the POST. Are you ever
> getting
> a message such as "press any key to boot from CD"?

No. Simply "Boot from CD:"

> Could be tied to the need to update the CPU microcode for your Prescott
> processor.

Hmm. I don't have a spare floppy (I have one in the problem machine) so I'll
have to wait before I can try to apply the firmware upgrade. My mobo is
brand new with a farily recent BIOS (v22 dated 02/24/04) so I'm not
confident that this will work. But I'll try.

> In any event, test several times that you are able to successfully boot to
> DOS boot disk prior to attempting the BIOS flash... just so you're certain
> that you are stable.

Thanks Jef, I'll try this. What if I can't boot from floppy? What would that
tell you?

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I might be getting somewhere...

I think that my PC resets during the Windows boot (from HD) because I've
changed the mobo and CPU. Is that possible? I gather XP does not like major
hardware changes.

So the problem comes down to why the CD will not boot. My POST screen passes
so quickly that it's very hard to read but I think it reports a problem with
"an 80 pin cable" on the second IDE channel (IDE1 is fine). All my IDE
devices are reported correctly (one HD, two CD/DVD drives and an LS120).

I've disconnected the IDE2 cable and substituted that cable. No difference.
So it's not the cable.

But could it be the IDE connections on the mobo? If there's something wrong
with either (?) of these, would that prevent my PC booting from CD?

I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get an
Athlon 64 rig in its place.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help.

Bobby
"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
> (Prescot) system.
>
> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
> memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
>
> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
> done a few). But I have problems...
>
> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
> BIOS) but then nothing.
>
> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
> Windows logo.
>
> I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
> get the message: "Boot from CD:".
>
> One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
> data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
> before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
>
> Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
> of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
> not boot.
>
> BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
> connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
> system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:26:33 -0000, "Bobby"
<bobby@europe.com> wrote:

>I might be getting somewhere...
>
>I think that my PC resets during the Windows boot (from HD) because I've
>changed the mobo and CPU. Is that possible? I gather XP does not like major
>hardware changes.

yes, that is the likely cause

>So the problem comes down to why the CD will not boot. My POST screen passes
>so quickly that it's very hard to read

you can press the PAUSE key on keyboard to (pause it),
usually.

>but I think it reports a problem with
>"an 80 pin cable" on the second IDE channel (IDE1 is fine).

Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.

>All my IDE
>devices are reported correctly (one HD, two CD/DVD drives and an LS120).
>
>I've disconnected the IDE2 cable and substituted that cable. No difference.
>So it's not the cable.

Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
drives?

Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.

>But could it be the IDE connections on the mobo? If there's something wrong
>with either (?) of these, would that prevent my PC booting from CD?

That could cause a problem but it's quite rare for that kind
of defect. Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
work already. Also you can try booting the HDD from the
channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.

>I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get an
>Athlon 64 rig in its place.

Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
setup menu. Also recheck the optical drive (and all other
bootable drive) settings. Set them to Auto and if there's a
"try other devices", try enabling it if not enabled already,
and you might try disabling other non-used boot entries and
move the CDROM drive up to the top of the boot order list.

ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
setting optical to single/master jumper setting.

I suppose you're certain the drive was working (including
booting from same CD) prior to the motherboard swap?

|> Could be that you're never getting
| > past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage of the POST. Are you ever
| > getting
| > a message such as "press any key to boot from CD"?
|
| No. Simply "Boot from CD:"
|
| > Could be tied to the need to update the CPU microcode for your Prescott
| > processor.
|
| Hmm. I don't have a spare floppy (I have one in the problem machine) so
I'll
| have to wait before I can try to apply the firmware upgrade. My mobo is
| brand new with a farily recent BIOS (v22 dated 02/24/04) so I'm not
| confident that this will work. But I'll try.
|
| > In any event, test several times that you are able to successfully boot
| > DOS boot disk prior to attempting the BIOS flash... just so you're
certain
| > that you are stable.
|
| Thanks Jef, I'll try this. What if I can't boot from floppy? What would
that
| tell you?

Hi Bobby -

If you cannot stably boot from a floppy there's no sense in trying to flash
your BIOS -- you'll be risking corruption during the flash process and would
end up needing a new BIOS chip or having your existing chip reflashed.
Personally I'd borrow or beg a non-Prescott CPU to attempt the flash if I
couldn't stably boot with the Prescott CPU.

I cannot stress highly enough: do not attempt to flash your BIOS if your
computer is not stable booted to DOS.

Your BIOS is more than eight months old. In terms of computer motherboards,
that's a lifetime! There have been four revisions to your motherboard's
BIOS during that six month period -- that's a whole lot of error correction
and improvement to support new technologies. Prescott CPU's were still in
development when your BIOS was born. Your statement that your motherboard
is "brand new" is a non sequitur... it's been sitting on the shelf for
months, waiting for you to buy it.

Another question: who makes your power supply unit (PSU) and what are the
ratings on it's label. For instance, my Antec TruePower 430 PSU has the
following information:

Total Max Output 430 watts
+5V, +12V & +3.3V Max Output 410 watts

+5V 36 amps
+12V 20 amps
+3.3V 28 amps
-5V .5 amps
-12V 1.0 amps
+5VSB 2.0 amps

Abit boards are becoming more and more fussy about the quality of power
driving them. When I built my latest system, based on an Abit NF7, I
sourced the PSU at 400 watts minimum. You further should consider that
cheap or generic PSU's (like those that come installed in most computer
cases) don't put out the clean power needed to run many newer boards. The
+5V, +12V and +3.3V rails are the most important to consider. Your board
may simply be crashing prior to being able to boot, even though you're
making it through the POST (power-on self test).

Jef

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> you can press the PAUSE key on keyboard to (pause it),
> usually.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

> Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
> but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
> on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
> properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
> shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.

I have an old DVD drive on IDE2 so that would explain why that channel is
running at ATA33 (which it is according to the POST screen). Would that
explain the "80 pin" warning?

> Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
> drives?

These weren't changed (IDE0 - HD master, DVD slave; IDE1 - LS120 master; DVD
slave).

> Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
> drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.

Don't know what you mean.

>>But could it be the IDE connections on the mobo? If there's something
>>wrong
>>with either (?) of these, would that prevent my PC booting from CD?
>
> That could cause a problem but it's quite rare for that kind
> of defect.

Yes, I don't think so either. I'm grasping at straws.

> Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
> try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
> drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
> booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
> work already.

My DVD is attached to the same channel as my HD (IDE0).

> Also you can try booting the HDD from the
> channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
> should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
> seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
> first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
> devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.

What does this message mean? Sometimes it completes with Verifying DMI
pool... success" and sometimes it's just "Verifying DMI pool...".

>>I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get
>>an
>>Athlon 64 rig in its place.
>
> Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
> bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
> setup menu.

An Anthlon 64 3000+ (with mobo) saves me £50 over my current config. But I'm
worried that I have exactly the same problem with this new config.

> Also recheck the optical drive (and all other
> bootable drive) settings. Set them to Auto and if there's a
> "try other devices", try enabling it if not enabled already,
> and you might try disabling other non-used boot entries and
> move the CDROM drive up to the top of the boot order list.

Done all that.

> ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
> setting optical to single/master jumper setting.

Good idea. I will give that a try (I will make the DVD the only device on
IDE0 and make it master and remove the HD from this channel).

> I suppose you're certain the drive was working (including
> booting from same CD) prior to the motherboard swap?

That's the odd thing. Everything was working fine before making this change.
I haven't changed any settings or jumpers so I really don't think that it's
a jumper setting on any of my boot devices.

Oh well. I'll give it a try and see. But if it's not working by tomorrow
morning I will replace the whole thing with an Athlon 64.

I took my whole box back to the supplier but they refused to test it saying
that I must identify the faulty device (I purchased CPU, mobo and RAM from
them) before they will replace it. They offered to test my system for £35.
It was bought on Friday (yesterday).

Thanks for your help.

Bobby

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> I cannot stress highly enough: do not attempt to flash your BIOS if your
> computer is not stable booted to DOS.

I'll try to upgrade the BIOS tonight. I have v22 and the current version is
26. I will be major pissed-off if this works (which I doubt).

> Another question: who makes your power supply unit (PSU) and what are the
> ratings on it's label. For instance, my Antec TruePower 430 PSU has the
> following information:

I have a 450W no-name PSU. But it wasn't cheap and has dual fans and feels
good quality. Lots of connectors - including the dual power connectors
required for P4 mobos.

> Your board
> may simply be crashing prior to being able to boot, even though you're
> making it through the POST (power-on self test).

Is that likely? And how come my HD tries to boot (it resets when -
presumably - Windows finds - radically - new hardware).

Thanks again Jef.

Bobby

David

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

another idea to your problem is also when installing a new mobo you have to
reinstall windows xp. othere wise that is teh problem you have how it starts
up and restarts again. i kno i have had this problem many times with
computers at work.

David

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
> (Prescot) system.
>
> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
> memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
>
> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
> done a few). But I have problems...
>
> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
> BIOS) but then nothing.
>
> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
> Windows logo.
>
> I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
> get the message: "Boot from CD:".
>
> One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
> data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
> before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
>
> Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked all
> of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing will
> not boot.
>
> BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
> connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that my
> system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Bobby

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes, that would explain why XP starts and then re-starts half way through
the boot process. But how come I can't access my CD/DVD drive? Without this
access I can't re-install Windows.

I have two CD drives and neither work (I've checked cables etc.).

Bobby

"David" <David_Tooley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> another idea to your problem is also when installing a new mobo you have
> to reinstall windows xp. othere wise that is teh problem you have how it
> starts up and restarts again. i kno i have had this problem many times
> with computers at work.
>
> David
>

> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> I've had hardware problems on-and-off for some time now. So I took the
>> plunge today and replaced my Athlon 2000 system with a new Pentium
>> (Prescot) system.
>>
>> I bought a new motherboard (Abit), processor (Prescot P4 at 3GHz) and
>> memory (512Mb of DDR3200).
>>
>> I managed to install the new mobo, CPU and memory without problems (I've
>> done a few). But I have problems...
>>
>> My PC reaches the POST OK and everything checks OK (I can also access the
>> BIOS) but then nothing.
>>
>> Windows XP (SP2) tries to boot but the system resets when I reach the
>> Windows logo.
>>
>> I tried to boot from CD (to re-install Windows) but the PC hangs when I
>> get the message: "Boot from CD:".
>>
>> One strange thing. The first message I get is: "Verifying DMI pool
>> data..." and some times I get "success" and other times I get nothing
>> before it tries to boot from CD (and fails). Is this normal?
>>
>> Help! I've tried everything including resetting the BIOS. I've checked
>> all of the cables too. Everything seems to be fine - but the damn thing
>> will not boot.
>>
>> BTW I have two lights on the mobo - a green one when a power cable is
>> connected and a red one (according to the manual this simply means that
>> my system is switched on). Should this LED be red or green?
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation.
>>
>> Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:19:53 -0000, "Bobby"
<bobby@europe.com> wrote:

>> Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
>> but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
>> on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
>> properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
>> shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.
>
>I have an old DVD drive on IDE2 so that would explain why that channel is
>running at ATA33 (which it is according to the POST screen). Would that
>explain the "80 pin" warning?

Reread what I wrote, it is an alert.

>> Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
>> drives?
>
>These weren't changed (IDE0 - HD master, DVD slave; IDE1 - LS120 master; DVD
>slave).

So you didn't recheck them?

>> Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
>> drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.
>
>Don't know what you mean.

Multimeter, take readings at the problem drive and ATX
motherboard connector.

>> Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
>> try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
>> drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
>> booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
>> work already.
>
>My DVD is attached to the same channel as my HD (IDE0).

Old DVD drives often have trouble reading CDR, and sometimes
CDs, I'd focus on booting from the CDRW.

>> Also you can try booting the HDD from the
>> channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
>> should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
>> seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
>> first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
>> devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.
>
>What does this message mean? Sometimes it completes with Verifying DMI
>pool... success" and sometimes it's just "Verifying DMI pool...".

It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
working.

>>>I'm at the stage when I intend to return the mobo, CPU and memory and get
>>>an
>>>Athlon 64 rig in its place.
>>
>> Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
>> bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
>> setup menu.
>
>An Anthlon 64 3000+ (with mobo) saves me £50 over my current config. But I'm
>worried that I have exactly the same problem with this new config.

yes you might if it's the media, cables, power supply or
drives. Check and eliminate as many of those variables as
possible.

>> ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
>> setting optical to single/master jumper setting.
>
>Good idea. I will give that a try (I will make the DVD the only device on
>IDE0 and make it master and remove the HD from this channel).

You might try unplugging ALL drives except the CDRW,
jumpering it as master.

>Oh well. I'll give it a try and see. But if it's not working by tomorrow
>morning I will replace the whole thing with an Athlon 64.
>
>I took my whole box back to the supplier but they refused to test it saying
>that I must identify the faulty device (I purchased CPU, mobo and RAM from
>them) before they will replace it. They offered to test my system for £35.
>It was bought on Friday (yesterday).

Tell them your Credit Card company or small claims court and
the BBB, may not see it that way. They sold you the bundle
knowing the parts would be used together (yes?). If so you
are not required to determine which is at fault, only that
they don't work together. Towards that end you need be sure
the other parts you already had aren't the problem, not
their parts.

kony wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:19:53 -0000, "Bobby"
> <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
>

>>>Swapping in an 80 pin cable should make that message go away
>>>but "in general", it is merely an alert, that your devices
>>>on that cable can then only run in ATA33 mode or lower. A
>>>properly working motherboard, optical drive, and media
>>>shouls still boot fine from a 40 conductor cable.
>>
>>I have an old DVD drive on IDE2 so that would explain why that channel is
>>running at ATA33 (which it is according to the POST screen). Would that
>>explain the "80 pin" warning?
>

> Reread what I wrote, it is an alert.
>

>>>Have you checked/rechecked the jumper settings on the
>>>drives?
>>
>>These weren't changed (IDE0 - HD master, DVD slave; IDE1 - LS120 master; DVD
>>slave).
>

> So you didn't recheck them?
>

>>>Check voltage levels at the ATX connector and for the
>>>drive(s) or at the very least in the BIOS as a start.
>>
>>Don't know what you mean.
>

> Multimeter, take readings at the problem drive and ATX
> motherboard connector.
>

>>>Since your HDD was booting to windows, you could
>>>try switching the cables, plugging the one for the optical
>>>drive into the motherboard channel currently occupied by the
>>>booting hard drive, since that channel has demonstrated to
>>>work already.
>>
>>My DVD is attached to the same channel as my HD (IDE0).
>

> Old DVD drives often have trouble reading CDR, and sometimes
> CDs, I'd focus on booting from the CDRW.
>

>>>Also you can try booting the HDD from the
>>>channel the optical drive is currently connected to, it
>>>should still have a problem due to windows, BUT the key is
>>>seeing if it starts booting windows at all, as that is the
>>>first thing the system will do, look for and try bootable
>>>devices after displaying the "verifying DMI pool" message.
>>
>>What does this message mean? Sometimes it completes with Verifying DMI
>>pool... success" and sometimes it's just "Verifying DMI pool...".
>

> It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
> thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
> working.

I'm not so sure it means nothing.

He should check here for DMI information.

>>>Not a bad idea. You might boot to floppy and upgrade the
>>>bios first, then clear CMOS, set bios to defaults & save in
>>>setup menu.
>>
>>An Anthlon 64 3000+ (with mobo) saves me £50 over my current config. But I'm
>>worried that I have exactly the same problem with this new config.
>

> yes you might if it's the media, cables, power supply or
> drives. Check and eliminate as many of those variables as
> possible.
>

>>>ALso try unplugging the other device on same IDE channel,
>>>setting optical to single/master jumper setting.
>>
>>Good idea. I will give that a try (I will make the DVD the only device on
>>IDE0 and make it master and remove the HD from this channel).
>

> You might try unplugging ALL drives except the CDRW,
> jumpering it as master.
>

>>Oh well. I'll give it a try and see. But if it's not working by tomorrow
>>morning I will replace the whole thing with an Athlon 64.
>>
>>I took my whole box back to the supplier but they refused to test it saying
>>that I must identify the faulty device (I purchased CPU, mobo and RAM from
>>them) before they will replace it. They offered to test my system for £35.
>>It was bought on Friday (yesterday).
>>

> Tell them your Credit Card company or small claims court and
> the BBB, may not see it that way. They sold you the bundle
> knowing the parts would be used together (yes?). If so you
> are not required to determine which is at fault, only that
> they don't work together. Towards that end you need be sure
> the other parts you already had aren't the problem, not
> their parts.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:16:49 -0600, David Maynard
<dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>> It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
>> thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
>> working.
>
>I'm not so sure it means nothing.
>
>He should check here for DMI information.
>
>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

All issues on the link lead back to same conclusion though,
that it's what i mentioned, boot device related.

The exception was corrupt bios but the system does finish
and boot to the HDD, before windows fails due to the
NT-moved-HDD situation.

kony wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:16:49 -0600, David Maynard
> <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
>

>>>It means nothing in this context, the issue is that the next
>>>thing to be done, (finding/booting from "some" device) isn't
>>>working.
>>
>>I'm not so sure it means nothing.
>>
>>He should check here for DMI information.
>>
>>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
>>

> All issues on the link lead back to same conclusion though,
> that it's what i mentioned, boot device related.

Right. But it confirms it's a device/partition problem separate from the
NT-moved-HDD situation.

It's also just good to know because that DMI message confuses the heck out
of people.

> The exception was corrupt bios but the system does finish
> and boot to the HDD, before windows fails due to the
> NT-moved-HDD situation.

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I did as one or two of you suggested and made the CD/DVD drive a boot
(master) device on its own channel (IDE1 - I left the HD on IDE0).

It booted from the Windows CD! I then installed XP SR1 and then SP2.
Everything was fine. Until this morning...

It booted OK - but noticed that it was running hot (66-68C once reached
70C - under no stress beyond Internet browsing). Then... a reset and back to
"Boot from CD:" and a hang! I couldn't believe it.

So I'm back to square one. And the mobos going back to the shop - along with
the CPU. I've read of Prescott's running hot and this rig seems jinxed.