Sign in with
Your question

HL2 or Halo 2 most popular?

Last response: in Video Games
November 12, 2004 11:00:59 PM

Does anybody know which one is more popular and which one is more anticipated? I would think HL2 because it sold more copies and has 2x as much time into the creation, but all i hear is xbox this and Halo 2 that. I was just wondering which one is truly more popular. I want both, but don't know whether to wait for HL2 or go and get an xbox and Halo 2 for $200. I don't currently have enough to do both at the same time.

P4 2.6c@3 / 1GB OCZ DDR533 / Abit IC7-Max3 /
BFG Geforce 6800 GT @ 410/1100 /
Baracuda 7200.7 120 GB SATA / Lian-Li PC-65 Case
/ SyncMaster 700nf Monitor / 3DMark03-12100

More about : hl2 halo popular

November 13, 2004 11:29:35 AM

The answer to your question is....BOTH.

Everyone will have a different opinion, some people will want HL2, some Halo 2.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
November 13, 2004 12:06:49 PM

I'll wait until HL2 comes out, Halo 2 has broken all sales records currently there, it sold 2.4 million copies. I can't wait to see what HL2 does. I think that HL2 will out do Halo 2 because it has 2x(halo has 3 years in the makeing, HL2 has 6 and 1/2 years) as much time into its makeing, if Halo 2 is this good, HL2 will be breathtaking.

Related resources
November 13, 2004 11:19:13 PM

HL2 looks sweet, i'm about to play it right now!!! =)

<b> The poster formerly known as Cooltek </b>
November 14, 2004 3:43:09 AM

Not to disparage Halo and Halo 2, but they really seemed to appeal most to console gamers who hadn't had a great deal of exposure to good FPSs.

As more of a PC gamer, I'm looking forward more to HL2. I think most console gamers are enjoying Halo 2 more while the PC gamers expect HL2 to be the game of the year.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
November 14, 2004 3:02:16 PM

You know why they haven't had any good FPS gameing experience and think Halo is the end all be all game? I've talked to some console gamers at college and almost all of them have never played games like UT, Quake, CS, Day Of Defeat and other good titles that set the bar back in thier time. So all they know is Halo and a few other "average" fps games so to them Halo is incredible when compared to alot of other FPS games on xbox. They have never played really good mulitplayer games like CS, Day of Defeeat, UT, Quake etc... Maybe they are just jelleous because Half Life sold over 10 million copies world wide while Halo only sold 5 million, only half of HL and its mods. I'm predicting that their sequals will follow the same path, Halo 2 the most popular console game, HL2 the most popular game ever made(based on sales records to my method of choosing the best game is actully the most fair, its not based on my opinion, but on the opinionls of all the gamers who play the 2 games cause they buy the game they like more).
/ SyncMaster 700nf Monitor / 3DMark03-12100<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Captain_insano on 11/14/04 12:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 15, 2004 2:33:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe they are just jelleous because Half Life sold over 10 million copies world wide while Halo only sold 5 million, only half of HL and its mods.

How long has Half Life been out? With that in mind the comparison isnt fair.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
November 15, 2004 5:44:54 AM

One thing to remember is the number of HL2 units that will be moved through ATI's card promotion alone. So 'theoretically' HL2 could be available to an unheard of number of people come tuesday.

I like both. I love co-operative play on HALO, but HL allows far more possibilities, and really was breaking new ground.

HL2 will probably sell more copies overall, and sell still more games based on the engine, but they are two different styles of games IMO and you'll never get a good comparison since the HALO PC version sucks, and misses the most important aspect of co-operative, and HL2 on a console probably won't match the PC version, like so many before it.

How about best in their respective fields/class?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
November 15, 2004 8:44:33 AM

Quote:

How long has Half Life been out? With that in mind the comparison isnt fair.

Why is that comparison unfair? I think it's pretty amazing has how many copies they've sold over the years.

Another way of comparing would be if they could publish turnover figures like they do with movies? The difference of a huge sale at once, and a spread sale over years will show up then because revenues are bigger at launch time, discounting the title takes over later in the product life cycle.

In general a comparison is a comparison, nothing unfair or fair about it. If you mean whether it is a good measure of the game's popularity, I don't know. In the end it's all about the bottom line which is why I like the second comparison of complete turnover better.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>
November 15, 2004 9:39:10 AM

One thing I think about is Halo sold 5 million in 3 years, Half Life sold 10 million in 6 years. It also can be ran on any run of the mill computer and there are far more computers out there than Xboxes. Also consider that Halo was 50 bucks until like a year ago and is still 30, half life is 20-30 with all the mods, It took other people modding it for it to sell so good If you check gamerankings.com halo is ranked 5 of all time and half life is ranked 20 you cannot just go by sells otherwise people like Justin Timberlake would be talented. Had Half Life 2 came out 3 years after the original the original would not have sold so many aswell. Now take for instance how many people still palyed each game a few months ago, not counting counter strike which valve didn't create. I know far more people still playing Halo 3 years after it came out and it's a tottaly different expirience. It is so easy to have like 12 people playing in an average house all you need is 2 friends with xboxes and 2 extra t.v.'s, with a little alcohol games can go on for hours. But half-life 2 will be awesome no doubt and I will be divideing up my time between the 2 and a few other games and my girl friend.

P4 3.0 Ghz HT 800Mhz FSB
1.5 GB Dual Channel DDR PC3200
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
November 15, 2004 8:48:23 PM

How is sales records not a comparison? If a game isn't good then it won't sell, period. And to say CS is not part of HL is really stupid, the modders who made the game now work for valve and helped make HL2. That is like saying that the storyline of Halo cannot be counted as part of the game just because Bungie created it and they were originally not endorsed by Microsoft until Microsoft decided Halo would help launch the Xbox. A company whic I now hate(microcrap) because they literally stole the game from the PC and then gave it back all F**** up. Besides Halo on PC is better, because people can play online, you can play with an old firend in another state, Xbox only has system link. And to say it sucks just because there is no Co-Op is really dumb, multiplayer is faaaar more important to a games life. Not to mention the graphics are improved on the PC, new weapons, new maps and some mods like Halo CE. So if you look at the improvements they outweigh what was taken away. Plus most FPS fans can agree that FPS games are better on PC, even the G4 tech tv reviews said that themselves. So you judgement of Halo on pc is not a fair comparison, you only look at it haveing no Co-Op(which microsoft purposely took out because they were affraid it would detract from the sales of the xbox, which is only popular because of 1 single game).

November 15, 2004 8:53:34 PM

These Are The Most Popular Games Visited on Game Rankings

Game Platform User
Rating Avg
Ratio
Halo 2 XBOX 8.5 95.6%
Half-Life 2 PC 9.0 96.3%
These are average user reviews based on 10 and then a culmination of 53 magazines percent wise. HL2 is the winner(this is from your site). As I said before HL2 will only get better, Halo 2 will stay the same awesome game, but will not get better(unless of course they release it on PC and update if without takeing away components of the game). So HL2 comes first and Halo 2 is a deffinate second.

November 15, 2004 8:57:52 PM

chicken/egg?

i cant decide

"Never underestimate the predictability of Stupidity."
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Neurotic Narcissist.}=-</A>
<font color=green>{FLM}</font color=green>
November 15, 2004 10:59:41 PM

The other thing to consider is that alot of the figure for the original halo are those that shipped with the original XBOX, so how many people actually BOUGHT the game. Sure this is like ATI's HL2 bundle, but it is relevant to the original HL because there was nowhere near that benifit to it's sales.

And it's not like Halo is going to ever catch up to the original HL because those 5 million over 3 years is not constant over 3 years you could pretty much say that with the release of Halo2 that the original is gonna push a few new sales for people wanting to see the original, but overall Halo's run is over still 5mil short of Half-Life.

And while like you say games usually come down in price, HALO's launch price was virtually nil, so how do we factor that in?

Now there may be a disadvantage to Halo in that you can rent it from Blockbuster et al, but it's hard to calculate those figures correctly.

Rent or Piracy, those are simply players, not buyers, so tey don't get into the figures. Overall I doubt the original Halo will come anywhere near the HL totals, but Halo2 may initially outsell HL2, but I'd think that'd only be dollar figure wise, not actuall complete games shipped (if you include both online [including ATI vouchers] and retail sales).

I expect HL2 to outsell Halo by a wide margin for another simple reason; unlike Halo 2, HL2 will likely be the springboard for other mods and games, and thus people will buy it simply to be able to play those mods and such.

Of course that's just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
November 16, 2004 2:42:56 PM

That is a good point. I had never really factored in the possibility of Halo 2 outsellig HL2 initally but loosing the long term sales. It is known that HL has continued to increase sales where Halo has decresed or only remained the same. Plus its modding capabiliites, especially on Xbox are extremely limited thus limiting its growth. I thin geabox and bungie would of made a smarter move by turning down microsofts offer, they could of made better sales if it was a PC first game like it originally was and then ported over. It would of run much better to.

November 17, 2004 12:12:17 PM

How can it get better Steam is messed no HL2 fragging 20 hours of game play. You might not want to look at it this way but this game release has been a real cluster f@ck thus far.

Also I can say with 100% certainty that you haven’t played Halo2 since you talk so much trash about it. Compared to Halo1 which was somewhat fun but only on the Xbox, PC version blew my ass. Halo2 is 12 out of 10 compared to the original, the story is quite interesting, as for the aliens get over it I have seen the fag tag crews in HL2 and they don’t look any better.

Game time seems to be the only real consistent thing for both, sickly short. I expect that from a 2 year product console game. I don’t tolerate that from a 6 year cluster f@ck.

So take it as you will online sites don’t mean jack all of them get their meal tickets from the parent companies to endorse for them.

Personal experience will be the only thing that matters here. For me HL2 is a "different" game experience, it does not compare to Doom 3 or Halo 2 for that matter. To me it’s a non island based Far Cry at this point.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
November 17, 2004 7:43:36 PM

Avg Ratio: 97%
Based On 11 Media Outlets - Add a New Article Link Your Favorites:
Interested Own It Own & Finished It Want It New Finished It

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halo 2 - XBOX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
halo 2
Avg Ratio: 95%
Based On 58 Media Outlets - Add a New Article Link
(they took the 10 most popular game magazines/websites for each one to get the average).

well according to the average game review HL2 edges out Halo 2, and i detect a Xbox fanboy. You just don't like the fact that HL2 is more popular, or you don't personally like the game. I like both games, but I HL2 won, which is what I expect. You know its ppl like you that cause this sort of thing. The only reason I ever even posted this HL2 v Halo2 is because I'm sick of hearing Xbox fanboys say Halo is the best game ever made when it is not. Maybe to them, but they have never played any good FPS games on the PC, all they know is the crappy ones on the Xbox. So to them Halo 2 is like the second comeing of Christ and they say its the best game ever made. But apparently more ppl think other wise, even game editors. And i expected more single player for Halo 2, it is the dissappointment. Your so quick to forget that programming games for a console is much quicker becaues they don't have to make it work on ten thousand different systems. They know exactly what the capabilities are of every Xbox. While valve spent 2 and 1/2 years makeing the Source game engine and it runs incredibly good. Then they spent 3 years makeing the actual game, so your expectations are flawed and unreasonable. Not only did they both spend about the same amount of time creating the game(not the game engins) but HL2 has 2x as much single player. Now personally I like both games, but I could not stand ppl saying one is the best game ever, in by book they are both the best games ever! Halo2 is the best console game ever and HL2 is the best PC game ever, but for those who insist Halo 2 is best game ever it appears it is second best if a comparison is made. Like i said before i personally consider them both to be the best now that I have palyed them(not all the way through, only about half way on each). Although I like Halo 2 multiplayer better than CS because all the CS players are 4 or 5 year veterans so they are really good. Halo and Halo 2 I do much better in.

November 22, 2004 5:49:10 PM

HL2 is worth $100 or more. Best game of the decade till 2009
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)
November 28, 2004 3:01:54 PM

lol wow that's jumping the gun don't you think? till 2009..lol

in like another 4 yrs i can just imagine the freggin technology and games that will be out.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
November 29, 2004 3:30:10 AM

Hey Gabe, it is a good game I'll admit. But your almost too gung ho. :smile:

MSI K8N Neo2 platinum, A64 3000+, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro
November 30, 2004 11:52:33 PM

You have no idea, look at UT 3, i saw the snippets of it on the Nvidia site, it makes HL2, Doom3 and FarCry look like 3 year old technology!!! Everything, I mean everyhting in that game is fully rendered, as in there are really not plain painted textures, everything is either bumpmapped(not as exaggerated as Doom3) or uses the illusional bump mapping(sort of like the desert in Halo or the cave walls in Doom3). It brings a radeon 9800 Pro to its knees at 800x600, lol. Its supposed to come out in 2007, i'm betting 2008, but maybe they'll be ontime. By then there will be cards that are faster than 2 X800 XT's/6800UE's.

December 2, 2004 8:51:40 PM

Yeah, and in some cases a 6800 Ultra can barely keep 20 FPS. IMO the real stand-out features of Unreal Engine 3 are soft shadows, virtual displacement mapping, and HDR lighting. Another reason for John Carmack to switch to D3D instead of waiting around for nVidia and ATi to actually agree on the new shadow buffer API.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>
December 3, 2004 3:41:10 PM

I just noticed that halo 2 has an average of 80 000 players online. Is that the most played online game???

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature
December 3, 2004 5:07:01 PM

cs still has more than that.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Neurotic Narcissist.}=-</A>
December 4, 2004 8:45:46 AM

Halo 2 has already sold 5 million copies when it's been out for less than a month.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/03/news_6114396.ht...

Has HL2?

Also I read that 9 out of 10 xbox live users have played Halo 2 online, have 90% of online gamers played CS, or even 90% of FPS online players?

P4 3.0 Ghz HT 800Mhz FSB
1.5 GB Dual Channel DDR PC3200
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
December 4, 2004 4:43:30 PM

Quote:

Also I read that 9 out of 10 xbox live users have played Halo 2 online, have 90% of online gamers played CS, or even 90% of FPS online players?

thats a biased view. xbox live is a closed system with specific games. different computers are play different games, lmao.

btw, i wasnt starting a flamewar here i was just stating the obvious. i like halo2 i think it is pretty good as well, but i like cs:s (and cs) better.

<A HREF="http://www.youreadopted.com/" target="_new">Guess what?</A>
December 12, 2004 1:38:13 AM

i would wait for it and buy it for the computer. the x box controls suck the big one the computer controls were vwicked for nuber1 so i think it might be the same for number 2 so...Wait for it man

Can you help me with my question?
December 12, 2004 1:40:16 AM

wow holy sorry for the post it was otta wack but i wouldnt wast my mony for x box i would get hl2
!