More USB devices than ports

G

My home PC has two USB ports, but I have three (and counting...) USB devices. I'm getting fed up with having to swap them in and out all the time, as the ports are not very accessible. Is there a device that will allow me to plug more USB devices in permanently (in much the same way as a multi-plug adapter), and if so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have 7 USB ports and 2 USB devices. Want to swap? :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Don't waste your money on a expensive USB hub!!!
Just buy a USB chip!!
I've one too, I got it with my new motherboard.
You don't have to connect it to a PCI input, but just a wire to your motherboard!

FatBurger

Illustrious
You're talking about the riser that adds the other 2 USB ports. Not all motherboards have that, and if it does, then the riser comes with it.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Most likely, you can either a) purchase a hub as stated above, or b)purchase a PCI USB card. This card plugs into your PCI slot and gives you two more USB ports.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro. It have two USB port on it. I think it is very convenient. I can just plug my digital camera directly into my keyboard which is right in front of me.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
That's neat, having USB ports on the keyboard.

I have a D-link 7port external (powered) hub. Can't remember what it cost, not much though.

Love it, so much easier than pissing around down the back of the PC plugging stuff (esp digicam) in and out of PCI cards.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ooh - that's a good one too. Missed it for some reason.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
If you have MB that is 2 years or less old you should have usb jack on it. And then buy one MB usb cable (it has 3 usb ports) and plug it in - it is very cheap ~ 1-2$ and the problem is solved.

To assimilate, or not to assimilate?
Question is irrelevant.

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I have the same keyboard myself, and for those of you who have not seen it, it has one USB cable and two ports, so it is essentially a mini-hub. It is a more expensive solution, however (> $50). If you don't have an ergo keyboard, and you are looking to get one, and you want to have all of those nifty internet keys on it, go with the MS Natural Keyboard Pro.

Now, if only we weren't using Win95 at work, I could use those nifty USB ports for my mouse and PDA cradle (Visor).

VSP

<i>Whatever causes your water transportation vessel to maintain proper buoyancy.</i>

On a similar topic I have a quick question.

K7S5A. 3 USB devices to be used. Currently 2 USB ports and a header for an extra two on the mobo. Is it a simple case of finding the right plug for the header or do you need to check other issues out.

Guessing here (haven't seen the manual for a while) but I reckon its a 1 x 10 header.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a USB hub. Truth is these are dirt cheap, usually around $10 online. I picked up one of these "AOL controll center" things for $20 from Value City, it has a USB hub, 6 device surge protectr, and 4 device switch panel all built in.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?