Help! My roms have been branded "Torrent Zipped"

Elvis

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Recently I have been going through my MAME rom collection trying to clean
out all the clusturfuxors.

I use the latest CLRMAMEpro

I have the entire v80 set up on DC.

Although a few of my roms have been marked with.
For example cotton.zip

It says inside the .zip file on the right window "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"

How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?

Elvis

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

"Elvis" <Elvis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Recently I have been going through my MAME rom collection trying to clean
> out all the clusturfuxors.
>
> I use the latest CLRMAMEpro
>
> I have the entire v80 set up on DC.
>
> Although a few of my roms have been marked with.
> For example cotton.zip
>
> It says inside the .zip file on the right window "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"
>
> How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?
OK Thanks for the help.
It seems as though the rebuilder will remove this.
I just did not want to have to run it unless I was sure it would work.
But wiith your info I figured to give it a try.
since the scanner did not remove such branding.

To bad know that my hard drive is full and I did not mark remove source
files so I am manually deleting them after the rebuilder passes over the
file
Muawhahwhahwa muawhahwhhhahwha
fun fun fun
This is why people hate stuff like marking roms.

Got me in a fix now.

*Busy removing roms off a full hard drive*

Bah. - Take care

Elvis

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

"Elvis" <Elvis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Recently I have been going through my MAME rom collection trying to clean
> out all the clusturfuxors.
>
> I use the latest CLRMAMEpro
>
> I have the entire v80 set up on DC.
>
> Although a few of my roms have been marked with.
> For example cotton.zip
>
> It says inside the .zip file on the right window "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"
>
> How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?
OK I canceled the rebuild then removed the partial rebuilt rom that it was
on and checked remove source files in clrMAMEpro and now my computer should
be safe to let it finish on it's own without filling up my hard Drive.
Started the rebuilder again.

Will give it a once over scan when it is finished - but for now I am out of
here.

Toodles

Hi,

> It says inside the .zip file on the right window "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"
>
> How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?

Why would you want to do so?

TorrentZip is a program for rezipping archives. It has the special feature
that zipping a given set of files always results in the exact same archive,
something not true of archives built by other programs. It does so by
exactly specifying the order of the files, timestamps and values for several
fields in the zip headers. It also adds the comment that you find offending.

Why do that? If the same contents produce the same archive everytime you
can usefully start sharing these archives instead of the individual files
on P2P networks. TorrrentZip's name comes from the BitTorrent protocol
frequently used. Correctly TorrentZipping a romset allows to download only
the parts that changed when updating.

That said, if you want to Un-TorrentZip your roms unpack them and zip
using anything _but_ TorrentZip to repack the lot.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de

Elvis

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

"Marian Aldenhövel" <marian@mba-software.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>> It says inside the .zip file on the right window "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"
>>
>> How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?
>
> Why would you want to do so?
>
> TorrentZip is a program for rezipping archives. It has the special feature
> that zipping a given set of files always results in the exact same
> archive,
> something not true of archives built by other programs. It does so by
> exactly specifying the order of the files, timestamps and values for
> several
> fields in the zip headers. It also adds the comment that you find
> offending.
>
> Why do that? If the same contents produce the same archive everytime you
> can usefully start sharing these archives instead of the individual files
> on P2P networks. TorrrentZip's name comes from the BitTorrent protocol
> frequently used. Correctly TorrentZipping a romset allows to download only
> the parts that changed when updating.
>
> That said, if you want to Un-TorrentZip your roms unpack them and zip
> using anything _but_ TorrentZip to repack the lot.
>
> Ciao, MM
> --
> Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
> http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
> "It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation,
> provided you start with a big one"
Jimny christmas
All I want to know is how to get rid of it without individualy unzipping
and rezziping the entire lot of greater than 5 thousand.

And my collection has been around befor Torrents even started - so I really
do no care for or have an entire torrent branded set.

How small it may be.
you get fed up with all the advertising on the net after awhile.
the slightest advertisement might set off a nuclear bomb. - lol

"Elvis" <Elvis@comcast.net> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem

> "Marian Aldenhövel" <marian@mba-software.de> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>>> It says inside the .zip file on the right window
>>> "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"
>>>
>>> How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?
>>
>> Why would you want to do so?
>>
>> TorrentZip is a program for rezipping archives. It has the special
>> feature that zipping a given set of files always results in the exact
>> same archive,
>> something not true of archives built by other programs. It does so by
>> exactly specifying the order of the files, timestamps and values for
>> several
>> fields in the zip headers. It also adds the comment that you find
>> offending.
>>
>> Why do that? If the same contents produce the same archive everytime
>> you can usefully start sharing these archives instead of the
>> individual files on P2P networks. TorrrentZip's name comes from the
>> BitTorrent protocol frequently used. Correctly TorrentZipping a
>> romset allows to download only the parts that changed when updating.
>>
>> That said, if you want to Un-TorrentZip your roms unpack them and zip
>> using anything _but_ TorrentZip to repack the lot.
>>
>> Ciao, MM
>> --
>> Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
>> http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
>> "It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation,
>> provided you start with a big one"
> Jimny christmas
> All I want to know is how to get rid of it without individualy
> unzipping
> and rezziping the entire lot of greater than 5 thousand.
>
> And my collection has been around befor Torrents even started - so I
> really do no care for or have an entire torrent branded set.
>
> How small it may be.
> you get fed up with all the advertising on the net after awhile.
> the slightest advertisement might set off a nuclear bomb. - lol

Elvis,

Seriously,

Older P2p methods are dead, like hubs... ratehr than 1:1 methods like
FTP or similar, bit-torrent allows for multiple users downloaders to link
to multiple servers...

The comment field is just an identifier... Its not a problem, & its not
identifying a site or a religion, or even a brand of soda drink.

Granted, its not going to be the smallest version of that file youll see,
but what it allows is easy access to update your romsets on the fly, not
downloading to a seperate folder then rebuilding...

Its a new century, Its a new millenium, DC++ just couldnt keep up.

psycho

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:15:56 -0500, "Elvis" <Elvis@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Elvis" <Elvis@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Recently I have been going through my MAME rom collection trying to clean
>> out all the clusturfuxors.
>>
>> I use the latest CLRMAMEpro
>>
>> I have the entire v80 set up on DC.
>>
>> Although a few of my roms have been marked with.
>> For example cotton.zip
>>
>> It says inside the .zip file on the right window "TORRENTZIPPED-088FD7F1"
>>
>> How do I remove all these Torrent zip marked roms?
>OK I canceled the rebuild then removed the partial rebuilt rom that it was
>on and checked remove source files in clrMAMEpro and now my computer should
>be safe to let it finish on it's own without filling up my hard Drive.
>Started the rebuilder again.
>
>Will give it a once over scan when it is finished - but for now I am out of
>here.
>
>Toodles

A lot of work to remove a comment from a zipfile that will reappear
when he decides to update to the newest version. Whether it's .98 or
not, I'll bet the comment will be there...

Mike

Splendid

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:35:02 -0500, Elvis wrote:

> I found there is only one solution.
> I will add my comment to the one that is already there.
> This ASCII is what I am adding to all MAME roms downloaded from Elvis.

Seems like you are (a) a megalomaniac and (b) pretty useless at ASCII art
:)

Hi,

> you get fed up with all the advertising on the net after awhile.
> the slightest advertisement might set off a nuclear bomb. - lol

The TorrentZip-entry in the comment-field is not advertising!

If you run TorrentZip on a set of archives it first checks this
entry and compares it to the current CRC of the archive. If they
match it's done. If they do not match someone somewhere has touched
the archive and it is no longer in standard format. So the archive
is repacked.

> And my collection has been around befor Torrents even started

That does not matter. Somewhere upstream someone has used TorrentZip
on the archive.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
"It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation,
provided you start with a big one"

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Psycho wrote in alt.games.mame:

[...]

> A lot of work to remove a comment from a zipfile that will reappear
> when he decides to update to the newest version. Whether it's .98 or
> not, I'll bet the comment will be there...

Depends on where and from whom he gets his updates.
--
David
Join the army, see the world, meet interesting, exciting people, and kill them.

psycho

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:29:58 GMT, SINNER
<99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

>Join the army, see the world, meet interesting, exciting people, and kill them.

Been there, done that, ENJOYED it!

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:29:58 GMT, SINNER
<99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

>* Psycho wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>[...]
>
>> A lot of work to remove a comment from a zipfile that will reappear
>> when he decides to update to the newest version. Whether it's .98 or
>> not, I'll bet the comment will be there...
>
>Depends on where and from whom he gets his updates.

If he gets them from a torrent he'll get the comments back OR if he
gets them from the next ABEM flood he'll *still* get the comments cos
we TorrentZip prior to posting a flood!

Cheers,
Terra Cresta

PC Arcade
http://www.pcarcade.tv

Elvis

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Well just thought I would stop by once again.

Well all the BS aside now.

I do not visit here all that much anymore.
and use to use a different handle.

Hello goes out to this newsgroups old timers.

Sinner
PRoToCol
Captain Rotundo
Andreas Kohlbach
MCR
Dungeon Dave
Mark Ross

And the others I recognize over DC

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Elvis wrote:
> Well just thought I would stop by once again.
>
> Well all the BS aside now.
>
> I do not visit here all that much anymore.
> and use to use a different handle.
>
> Hello goes out to this newsgroups old timers.
>
> Sinner
> PRoToCol
> Captain Rotundo
> Andreas Kohlbach
> MCR
> Dungeon Dave
> Mark Ross
>
> And the others I recognize over DC

Well thanks for the Hi! but who the hell are you?... go on tell... :)

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:11:59 -0500, "Elvis" <Elvis@comcast.net> wrote:

>Well just thought I would stop by once again.
>
> Well all the BS aside now.
>
>I do not visit here all that much anymore.
>and use to use a different handle.
>
>Hello goes out to this newsgroups old timers.
>
>Sinner
>PRoToCol
>Captain Rotundo
>Andreas Kohlbach