Please help ... PC upgrade issue

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 9, 2004 4:10:35 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi

Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
bit of a nightmare....

basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
memory and athlon64 3200

At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)

Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
and got the same results, i.e no display activation

I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.

Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
whilst not in the case.

has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
send it all back to supplier !

Thanks alot

More about : upgrade issue

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 12:17:54 AM

"chris" <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
> bit of a nightmare....
>
> basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
> a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
> memory and athlon64 3200
>
> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>
> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>
> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>
> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
> whilst not in the case.
>
> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
> send it all back to supplier !
>
> Thanks alot

Sounds obvious but double check your power connectors etc - ie the square
four pin connector for the cpu power that not all motherboards use.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 12:20:09 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <bd665550.0411091310.5e89e238@posting.google.com>, chris
says...
> Hi
>
> Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
> bit of a nightmare....
>
> basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
> a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
> memory and athlon64 3200
>
> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>
> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>
> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>
> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
> whilst not in the case.
>
> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
> send it all back to supplier !

Make sure the Clear CMOS jumper isn't set to clear. Start off with
motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM and a graphics card. Don't have any
drives connected. See if it fires up then add things one at a time.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 2:07:13 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>
> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>
> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>
> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
> whilst not in the case.
>
> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
> send it all back to supplier !

Start with the basics. Place your motherboard (with CPU) and power
supply on a non-conductive surface. Connect them together (the
GA-K8VT800 needs an ATX 12V connector connected as well as the main ATX
connector). Connect your powersupply to the mains, ensuring the switch
is on. Then short the power-up connector on the motherboard, this is in
the 'bottom right' of the motherboard. The powersupply should startup
and fans various should spin up. Now plug in a RAM module, a graphics
card and a keyboard and connect up a monitor. You should see the POST
screen on powerup. If you dont, but you have fans spinning, try using
some different RAM or graphics card, or verify these components in
different systems.

If you still cant get the board to work just return it. Infant
mortality is quite common, especially as the board has probably just
been on a rough journey to get to you.

-- Chris
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 3:06:30 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
problems you seem to be having.

--
DaveW

"chris" <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
> bit of a nightmare....
>
> basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
> a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
> memory and athlon64 3200
>
> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>
> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>
> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>
> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
> whilst not in the case.
>
> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
> send it all back to supplier !
>
> Thanks alot
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 3:06:31 AM

DaveW wrote:
> I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
> different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
> the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
> problems you seem to be having.

Oh for Peter's sake. You and your moronic 'format the hard drive' nonsense.

His machine won't POST, you nut.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 3:48:24 AM

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
>different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
>the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
>problems you seem to be having.

The problems described sound like hardware, not software issues. I and
many others have upgraded motherboards while keeping the same OS
install. The Win2k install I'm typing this on has been through SiS,
Via and (now) NVidia chipsets. Even if you do have to re-install I'd
try it without a format first.

Of course when you say "the OS" you mean Windows. I've never needed to
reinstall Linux when changing motherboards.

Tim
--
Anyone who qualifies their comments with "just my
two cents" is usually over-valuing their contribution.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <5Yckd.69178$HA.2065@attbi_s01>, DaveW says...
> I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
> different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
> the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
> problems you seem to be having.

The above post is a good example of why the IT industry is held in such
bad regard.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
November 10, 2004 5:16:26 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks for your responses guys,..

I've tried the motherboard on a non conductive surface but it makes no
difference.

I can't see any cmos jumpers on the mboard...

There is power to the board because the fans on the CPU and graphics
card are running, also the memory LED is on.

I thought it might be a power issue so I;ve bought a new case with a
400W PSU but that has made no difference.

I havn't tried it with just one memory stick so I'll try that tonight
but I would have expected "beep" sounds if there was a memory issue.
I havn't tried resetting the cmos by taking the battery out,, is that
worth doing?

I'll try anything but am coming to the conclusion that it all might
have to go back to the supplier for them to test...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 1:52:19 PM

On 10/11/2004 chris wrote:

> Thanks for your responses guys,..
>
> I've tried the motherboard on a non conductive surface but it makes no
> difference.
>
> I can't see any cmos jumpers on the mboard...
>
> There is power to the board because the fans on the CPU and graphics
> card are running, also the memory LED is on.
>
> I thought it might be a power issue so I;ve bought a new case with a
> 400W PSU but that has made no difference.
>
> I havn't tried it with just one memory stick so I'll try that tonight
> but I would have expected "beep" sounds if there was a memory issue.
> I havn't tried resetting the cmos by taking the battery out,, is that
> worth doing?
>
> I'll try anything but am coming to the conclusion that it all might
> have to go back to the supplier for them to test...

Do you get any beeps at all when powering up?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6

>I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
>different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
>the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
>problems you seem to be having.
>
> --
I want what he's been drinking!!
The monitor wont show any display and the machine wont POST.....format the
hard drive!!

> DaveW
>

> "chris" <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
>> bit of a nightmare....
>>
>> basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
>> a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
>> memory and athlon64 3200
>>
>> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
>> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
>> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>>
>> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
>> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
>> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>>
>> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
>> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>>
>> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
>> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
>> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
>> whilst not in the case.
>>
>> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
>> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
>> send it all back to supplier !
>>
>> Thanks alot

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 2:31:05 PM

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <5Yckd.69178$HA.2065@attbi_s01>, DaveW says...
>> I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
>> different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
>> the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
>> problems you seem to be having.
>>

> The above post is a good example of why the IT industry is held in such
> bad regard.

True, reckon he works in PC World? I've heard lots of advice like that in pc
world.

> --
> Conor
>
> Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 2:33:52 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"chris" <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
> bit of a nightmare....
>
> basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
> a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
> memory and athlon64 3200
>
> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>
> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>
> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>
> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
> whilst not in the case.
>
> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
> send it all back to supplier !

Its a tricky one this, as I assume you cant test the board with another cpu
and things easily. Where did you get it? I had this on a build once, couldnt
test so sent cpu ram and mobo back. They wanted to charge me because the cpu
and ram were ok! My guess would be the mobo, but its impossible to tell
without testing. Try taking the cpu and ram to a friendly local computer
shop and asking if they'll test them for you.
Good luck!
(Aside from the usual responses that have already been given, especially the
little 4 pin power connector and cmos clear jumper - there will be one!)

> Thanks alot
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 3:16:39 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:28:55 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale"
<id018q4583@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>I would hope that you knew that by changing the motherboard out for a
>>different one you HAD TO reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
>>the OS while connected to the new motherboard, in order to avoid the
>>problems you seem to be having.
>>
>> --
>I want what he's been drinking!!
>The monitor wont show any display and the machine wont POST.....format the
>hard drive!!

It begs the question, how might one go about the formatting?
We can't just do it on another machine because if we even
breathe in the general direction of the other machine, it
too would have to be formatted. Guess that's why we still
have floppy drives in PCs. ;-)
November 10, 2004 3:59:19 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:33:52 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale" <id018q4583@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"chris" <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Well this is my first attempt at a pc upgrade and its turning into a
>> bit of a nightmare....
>>
>> basically going from a p4 1.8 with usual PCI adapters and 512 RDRAM to
>> a swanky new Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 PRO motherboard, 2x512Mb Corsair
>> memory and athlon64 3200
>>
>> At first I tried installing into my old ATX case. everything was
>> cabled ok but the issue I got was that when I turned on the power the
>> monitor stayed in standby mode (orange led)
>>
>> Graphics adapter is Leadtek 6800TD only 2 months old which worked fine
>> in my old PC.. tried new motherboard etc with an older geforce3 Ti500
>> and got the same results, i.e no display activation
>>
>> I then tried taking new motherboard out of case and connecting just
>> the basics, cpu, mem and graphics card....power on....the same result.
>>
>> Then I thought it might be that my old case didn't have enough power ,
>> so went out today and bought new case with 400W PSU...but i get the
>> same results again with the motherboard just connected to basics
>> whilst not in the case.
>>
>> has anyone got any ideas what i can try next....or have i just been
>> unlucky and got a dead motherboard....don;t really want to have to
>> send it all back to supplier !
>
>Its a tricky one this, as I assume you cant test the board with another cpu
>and things easily. Where did you get it? I had this on a build once, couldnt
>test so sent cpu ram and mobo back. They wanted to charge me because the cpu
>and ram were ok! My guess would be the mobo, but its impossible to tell
>without testing. Try taking the cpu and ram to a friendly local computer
>shop and asking if they'll test them for you.
>Good luck!
>(Aside from the usual responses that have already been given, especially the
>little 4 pin power connector and cmos clear jumper - there will be one!)
>

>> Thanks alot

Actually I've had boards where the cmos jumper was simply 2 solder blobs next
to each other on the board. You could still reset the cmos with a screwdriver but
if you weren't used to building systems you might get confused.
If I had the time before work I'd bring up a pdf of his MB and most likely there would
be a diagram of the board showing the location.

He didn't get any video but didn't really say what else the board/fans/etc might have
done or not done when powering up. When I post a board before installation I power
up the board by shorting the pins with a screwdriver. Occasionally on a new board
I'll get the system up but no video. Hitting the reset pins a couple times with the
screwdriver generally gets me video. Dunno why but some BIOS will respond by
resetting some options to defaults.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
November 10, 2004 3:59:20 PM

Overlord wrote:

> [...]
>>

>>>Thanks alot
>>
> Actually I've had boards where the cmos jumper was simply 2 solder blobs next
> to each other on the board. You could still reset the cmos with a screwdriver but
> if you weren't used to building systems you might get confused.
> If I had the time before work I'd bring up a pdf of his MB and most likely there would
> be a diagram of the board showing the location.
>
> He didn't get any video but didn't really say what else the board/fans/etc might have
> done or not done when powering up. When I post a board before installation I power
> up the board by shorting the pins with a screwdriver. Occasionally on a new board
> I'll get the system up but no video. Hitting the reset pins a couple times with the
> screwdriver generally gets me video. Dunno why but some BIOS will respond by

The manual for the MB specifies that it only supports 4x/8x 1.5 volt
cards and specifies that it does not support 2x/4x 3.3 volt cards. I
can't find the Leadtek 6800TD card he mentions (a Google only finds a
laptop with that model number), but based on the info for the GeForce3
Ti500 from 2001, it may be a 3.3 volt card and definitely won't work.
November 10, 2004 3:59:20 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

A couple of further points....

no there are no beeps at all

having read the manual (numerous times) the only way to reset the cmos
is to remove the battery, wait 30 seconds and reinsert the battery

thought i'd reseat the processor as well but the heatsink is a bitch
to get off so will leave that.

I'm going upstairs to try a few things.... if i have no joy its going
back where i bought it, (Alas i don;t know anywhere that I can test
the processor or memory)

And i laughed sooooo hard when i read the format hard drive post !!
I've worked with computers (not pc's) for 6 years and nearly fell off
my chair when I read that ... :-) moral of the post.. don't believe
everything you read !

cheers folks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 5:14:53 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:59:19 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com
(Overlord) wrote:

>>(Aside from the usual responses that have already been given, especially the
>>little 4 pin power connector and cmos clear jumper - there will be one!)
>>

>>> Thanks alot
>>
>Actually I've had boards where the cmos jumper was simply 2 solder blobs next
>to each other on the board. You could still reset the cmos with a screwdriver but
>if you weren't used to building systems you might get confused.

<snip>

.... or just disconnect the AC and pull the battery out for a
few minutes.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 5:45:05 PM

"Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
> Overlord wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:33:52 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale"
>> <id018q4583@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"chris" <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Its a tricky one this, as I assume you cant test the board with another
>>>cpu and things easily. Where did you get it? I had this on a build once,
>>>couldnt test so sent cpu ram and mobo back. They wanted to charge me
>>>because the cpu and ram were ok! My guess would be the mobo, but its
>>>impossible to tell without testing. Try taking the cpu and ram to a
>>>friendly local computer shop and asking if they'll test them for you.
>>>Good luck!
>>>(Aside from the usual responses that have already been given, especially
>>>the little 4 pin power connector and cmos clear jumper - there will be
>>>one!)

>> Actually I've had boards where the cmos jumper was simply 2 solder blobs
>> next
>> to each other on the board. You could still reset the cmos with a
>> screwdriver but
>> if you weren't used to building systems you might get confused.
>> If I had the time before work I'd bring up a pdf of his MB and most
>> likely there would
>> be a diagram of the board showing the location.
>>
>> He didn't get any video but didn't really say what else the
>> board/fans/etc might have
>> done or not done when powering up. When I post a board before
>> installation I power
>> up the board by shorting the pins with a screwdriver. Occasionally on a
>> new board
>> I'll get the system up but no video. Hitting the reset pins a couple
>> times with the
>> screwdriver generally gets me video. Dunno why but some BIOS will
>> respond by
>> resetting some options to defaults.
>>
>> ~~~~~~
>> Bait for spammers:
>> root@localhost
>> postmaster@localhost
>> admin@localhost
>> abuse@localhost
>> postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
>> uce@ftc.gov
>> ~~~~~~
>> Remove "spamless" to email me.
>
> The manual for the MB specifies that it only supports 4x/8x 1.5 volt cards
> and specifies that it does not support 2x/4x 3.3 volt cards. I can't find
> the Leadtek 6800TD card he mentions (a Google only finds a laptop with
> that model number), but based on the info for the GeForce3 Ti500 from
> 2001, it may be a 3.3 volt card and definitely won't work.

i think the 6800TD is likely to be an nvidia 6800GT card

November 10, 2004 5:45:06 PM

Iain Dingsdale wrote:

> "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
>>
>>The manual for the MB specifies that it only supports 4x/8x 1.5 volt cards
>>and specifies that it does not support 2x/4x 3.3 volt cards. I can't find
>>the Leadtek 6800TD card he mentions (a Google only finds a laptop with
>>that model number), but based on the info for the GeForce3 Ti500 from
>>2001, it may be a 3.3 volt card and definitely won't work.
>

> i think the 6800TD is likely to be an nvidia 6800GT card

Well, I would expect the 6800GT to work.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 6:01:53 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In <bd665550.0411100213.3735ad3e@posting.google.com>,
chris <rees_chris@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your responses guys,..
>
> I've tried the motherboard on a non conductive surface but it makes no
> difference.
>
> I can't see any cmos jumpers on the mboard...

I've seen at least one with a little button instead. Check the manual,
that should tell you where to find a CMOS reset.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html&gt; for more reliable contact addresses.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

> thought i'd reseat the processor as well but the heatsink is a bitch
> to get off so will leave that.

If I were you I would reseat the processor, just a thought.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 11:08:28 PM

© John © wrote:

>>thought i'd reseat the processor as well but the heatsink is a bitch
>>to get off so will leave that.
>

> If I were you I would reseat the processor, just a thought.

Yeah, me too. That's just the sort of 'trick' that Murphy would pull.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2004 11:18:56 PM

On 10 Nov 2004 11:34:41 -0800, rees_chris@hotmail.com (chris) wrote:

>A couple of further points....
>
>no there are no beeps at all
>
>having read the manual (numerous times) the only way to reset the cmos
>is to remove the battery, wait 30 seconds and reinsert the battery
>
>thought i'd reseat the processor as well but the heatsink is a bitch
>to get off so will leave that.
>
>I'm going upstairs to try a few things.... if i have no joy its going
>back where i bought it, (Alas i don;t know anywhere that I can test
>the processor or memory)
>
>And i laughed sooooo hard when i read the format hard drive post !!
>I've worked with computers (not pc's) for 6 years and nearly fell off
>my chair when I read that ... :-) moral of the post.. don't believe
>everything you read !

You know, of course, that the one thing you can't or won't test will
eventually turn out to be the problem. That's always how it is. You test
everything except something you assume is working and bingo, it's what was
wrong all along. Damn that Murphy!

Reseat/test the processor and memory.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:49:21 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net>
wrote:

>Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>
>> "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>>The manual for the MB specifies that it only supports 4x/8x 1.5 volt cards
>>>and specifies that it does not support 2x/4x 3.3 volt cards. I can't find
>>>the Leadtek 6800TD card he mentions (a Google only finds a laptop with
>>>that model number), but based on the info for the GeForce3 Ti500 from
>>>2001, it may be a 3.3 volt card and definitely won't work.
>>

>> i think the 6800TD is likely to be an nvidia 6800GT card
>>

>Well, I would expect the 6800GT to work.

The Geforce3 should too, there are NO Geforce cards that
aren't compatible with AGP 4X/8X 1.5V slots.
November 11, 2004 6:45:38 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

News hot off the press....

+ reseated the processor....

+ reset cmos by removing the battery

and still getting the same..i.e no display..

The newish graphics card is a leadtek A400 TDH ...which I'm sure is compatible,

Its going back to the supplier tomorrow when i've packed it all up...

Thanks for everyones help and thoughts !!
!