all-in-one MBs recommendations ?

Hello all,

I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
any good ? Any recommendations of others ?

TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about recommendations

    I reccomend buying a motherboard that will allow you to upgrade later to
    save the headache. Buy cheaper parts for now and then upgrade later.
    Somthing like a mobile 2500+ is great and then when it becomes cheaper get a
    3400+ for the same pin size. Go ahead and buy 3200+ ram and you will be set.

    "dez" <dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
    > any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
    >
    > TIA

    To think about it, you can get a mobile 2500+ and up it to 3200+ speeds.
    There are some awsome guids to this.

    As for the ram, its PC 3200 not 3200+. Im such a goofball.

    On 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 -0800, dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au (dez)
    wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
    >any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
    >
    >TIA

    I'd avoid anything with a Sis chipset, and if you need best
    3D performance choose nForce2 boards. Just about every
    manufacturer has a mATX nForce2 with integrated video,
    sound, lan, though features like SATA or firewire are a bit
    harder to come by. If 3D video isn't important I'd still
    choose a Via (like KM400) over Sis chipset, but with
    integrated video it helps overall system performance to have
    dual-channel memory, nForce2.

    Generally the better boards are made by Gigabyte, Asus, MSI,
    or Abit. They also tend to cost more. Two popular 2nd-tier
    nForce2 boards that "usually" cost less might be Shuttle
    MN31N, MN31L, or Biostar M7NCG. To get maximum performance
    out of an nForce2 board's integrated video you need two
    memory modules.

    What do you plan on doing with this system. More info can help too.

    "dez" <dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
    > any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
    >
    > TIA

    Abit NF7-S
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe revision 2.0
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Biostar M7NCG
    --
    Mac Cool

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-255&depa=1

    Gigabyte is a good brand this is a nforce2 board for $49.00.

    It has the S3 Graphics Pro Savage8 integrated video.

    Micro ATX.

    Sempron, Athlon.

    kony wrote:
    > On 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 -0800, dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au (dez)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
    >>any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >

    > I'd avoid anything with a Sis chipset, and if you need best
    > 3D performance choose nForce2 boards. Just about every
    > manufacturer has a mATX nForce2 with integrated video,
    > sound, lan, though features like SATA or firewire are a bit
    > harder to come by. If 3D video isn't important I'd still
    > choose a Via (like KM400) over Sis chipset, but with
    > integrated video it helps overall system performance to have
    > dual-channel memory, nForce2.
    >
    > Generally the better boards are made by Gigabyte, Asus, MSI,
    > or Abit. They also tend to cost more. Two popular 2nd-tier
    > nForce2 boards that "usually" cost less might be Shuttle
    > MN31N, MN31L, or Biostar M7NCG. To get maximum performance
    > out of an nForce2 board's integrated video you need two
    > memory modules.

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:02:49 -0600, Last Boy Scout
    <eggbtr@charter.net> wrote:

    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-255&depa=1
    >
    >Gigabyte is a good brand this is a nforce2 board for $49.00.
    >
    >It has the S3 Graphics Pro Savage8 integrated video.
    >
    >Micro ATX.
    >
    >Sempron, Athlon.

    That's not nForce2 then, nForce2 has Geforce 4 MX
    integrated, it's the Via KM(n)00 chipset based boards that
    use S3 Savage 8. Savage 8 isn't BAD for 2D work/DVD/etc,
    but in 3D it's the rough equivalent of an OEM TNT2, much
    slower than even the now-aged nForce 4 MX.

    kony wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:02:49 -0600, Last Boy Scout
    > <eggbtr@charter.net> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-255&depa=1
    >>
    >>Gigabyte is a good brand this is a nforce2 board for $49.00.
    >>
    >>It has the S3 Graphics Pro Savage8 integrated video.
    >>
    >>Micro ATX.
    >>
    >>Sempron, Athlon.
    >>

    > That's not nForce2 then, nForce2 has Geforce 4 MX
    > integrated, it's the Via KM(n)00 chipset based boards that
    > use S3 Savage 8. Savage 8 isn't BAD for 2D work/DVD/etc,
    > but in 3D it's the rough equivalent of an OEM TNT2, much
    > slower than even the now-aged nForce 4 MX.
    OK, I guess it is not. Remember VIA makes a good chipset for Athlon 64,
    so it is probably worth a try. For an All-In-One Motherboard, I would
    not use an Asus Motherboard. However for a motherboard without
    integrated Video Asus makes perfect Sense.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:35:48 -0600, Last Boy Scout
    <eggbtr@charter.net> wrote:

    >> That's not nForce2 then, nForce2 has Geforce 4 MX
    >> integrated, it's the Via KM(n)00 chipset based boards that
    >> use S3 Savage 8. Savage 8 isn't BAD for 2D work/DVD/etc,
    >> but in 3D it's the rough equivalent of an OEM TNT2, much
    >> slower than even the now-aged nForce 4 MX.
    >OK, I guess it is not. Remember VIA makes a good chipset for Athlon 64,
    >so it is probably worth a try. For an All-In-One Motherboard, I would
    >not use an Asus Motherboard. However for a motherboard without
    >integrated Video Asus makes perfect Sense.

    Why not? I have an Asus A7N266-VM here (nForce1) which was
    dissappointing to have no voltage, manual multiplier
    changes, or extended FSB (>160MHz) features until hacked,
    but beyond those overclocking features (and/or after hacked
    to provide them) it's been a very solid board, currently
    running a Barton @ 2.4 GHz, which was a nice way to extend
    it's life.

    I have heard that the A7N8X-VM (??) is a bit pickier than
    some with regards to memory, but anything dual-channel might
    be, and reverting to single-channel mode on such a board
    will still be higher performance than a single-channel
    solution... not a gamer's delight by any stretch but still
    suitable for the games the GF4MX was designed for, DX7-era.
    Then again that was earlier in DDR memory technology too,
    now the average PC3200 name-brand should be OK for dual
    channel especially after the board has newer bios flashed.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959DF12134937MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
    > Abit NF7-S
    > ASUS A7N8X Deluxe revision 2.0
    > ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > Biostar M7NCG

    Thanks everyone.

    I'll check out the NForce2 boards as well now

Homebuilt Hardware New Build Systems