all-in-one MBs recommendations ?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 10, 2004 3:12:40 PM

Hello all,

I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
any good ? Any recommendations of others ?

TIA

More about : mbs recommendations

November 11, 2004 12:10:00 AM

I reccomend buying a motherboard that will allow you to upgrade later to
save the headache. Buy cheaper parts for now and then upgrade later.
Somthing like a mobile 2500+ is great and then when it becomes cheaper get a
3400+ for the same pin size. Go ahead and buy 3200+ ram and you will be set.

"dez" <dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:D bfe4cd0.0411101212.771c5a27@posting.google.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
> any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
>
> TIA
November 11, 2004 12:13:06 AM

To think about it, you can get a mobile 2500+ and up it to 3200+ speeds.
There are some awsome guids to this.

As for the ram, its PC 3200 not 3200+. Im such a goofball.

"Clob" <clobercow@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I reccomend buying a motherboard that will allow you to upgrade later to
>save the headache. Buy cheaper parts for now and then upgrade later.
>Somthing like a mobile 2500+ is great and then when it becomes cheaper get
>a 3400+ for the same pin size. Go ahead and buy 3200+ ram and you will be
>set.
>

> "dez" <dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> news:D bfe4cd0.0411101212.771c5a27@posting.google.com...
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
>> any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
>>
>> TIA

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 11, 2004 2:16:47 AM

On 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 -0800, dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au (dez)
wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
>any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
>
>TIA

I'd avoid anything with a Sis chipset, and if you need best
3D performance choose nForce2 boards. Just about every
manufacturer has a mATX nForce2 with integrated video,
sound, lan, though features like SATA or firewire are a bit
harder to come by. If 3D video isn't important I'd still
choose a Via (like KM400) over Sis chipset, but with
integrated video it helps overall system performance to have
dual-channel memory, nForce2.

Generally the better boards are made by Gigabyte, Asus, MSI,
or Abit. They also tend to cost more. Two popular 2nd-tier
nForce2 boards that "usually" cost less might be Shuttle
MN31N, MN31L, or Biostar M7NCG. To get maximum performance
out of an nForce2 board's integrated video you need two
memory modules.
November 11, 2004 3:59:56 AM

What do you plan on doing with this system. More info can help too.

"dez" <dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:D bfe4cd0.0411101212.771c5a27@posting.google.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
> any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 11, 2004 7:42:02 AM

Abit NF7-S
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe revision 2.0
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Biostar M7NCG
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Gigabyte is a good brand this is a nforce2 board for $49.00.

It has the S3 Graphics Pro Savage8 integrated video.

Micro ATX.

Sempron, Athlon.

kony wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 -0800, dezmondo34@yahoo.com.au (dez)
> wrote:
>

>>Hello all,
>>
>>I'm planning a new build of a cheap all-in-one. Are the ASROCK K7S41GX
>>any good ? Any recommendations of others ?
>>
>>TIA
>

> I'd avoid anything with a Sis chipset, and if you need best
> 3D performance choose nForce2 boards. Just about every
> manufacturer has a mATX nForce2 with integrated video,
> sound, lan, though features like SATA or firewire are a bit
> harder to come by. If 3D video isn't important I'd still
> choose a Via (like KM400) over Sis chipset, but with
> integrated video it helps overall system performance to have
> dual-channel memory, nForce2.
>
> Generally the better boards are made by Gigabyte, Asus, MSI,
> or Abit. They also tend to cost more. Two popular 2nd-tier
> nForce2 boards that "usually" cost less might be Shuttle
> MN31N, MN31L, or Biostar M7NCG. To get maximum performance
> out of an nForce2 board's integrated video you need two
> memory modules.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2004 12:56:49 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:02:49 -0600, Last Boy Scout
<eggbtr@charter.net> wrote:

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
>Gigabyte is a good brand this is a nforce2 board for $49.00.
>
>It has the S3 Graphics Pro Savage8 integrated video.
>
>Micro ATX.
>
>Sempron, Athlon.

That's not nForce2 then, nForce2 has Geforce 4 MX
integrated, it's the Via KM(n)00 chipset based boards that
use S3 Savage 8. Savage 8 isn't BAD for 2D work/DVD/etc,
but in 3D it's the rough equivalent of an OEM TNT2, much
slower than even the now-aged nForce 4 MX.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2004 11:35:48 PM

kony wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:02:49 -0600, Last Boy Scout
> <eggbtr@charter.net> wrote:
>

>>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>>
>>Gigabyte is a good brand this is a nforce2 board for $49.00.
>>
>>It has the S3 Graphics Pro Savage8 integrated video.
>>
>>Micro ATX.
>>
>>Sempron, Athlon.
>>

> That's not nForce2 then, nForce2 has Geforce 4 MX
> integrated, it's the Via KM(n)00 chipset based boards that
> use S3 Savage 8. Savage 8 isn't BAD for 2D work/DVD/etc,
> but in 3D it's the rough equivalent of an OEM TNT2, much
> slower than even the now-aged nForce 4 MX.
OK, I guess it is not. Remember VIA makes a good chipset for Athlon 64,
so it is probably worth a try. For an All-In-One Motherboard, I would
not use an Asus Motherboard. However for a motherboard without
integrated Video Asus makes perfect Sense.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2004 7:25:12 AM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:35:48 -0600, Last Boy Scout
<eggbtr@charter.net> wrote:

>> That's not nForce2 then, nForce2 has Geforce 4 MX
>> integrated, it's the Via KM(n)00 chipset based boards that
>> use S3 Savage 8. Savage 8 isn't BAD for 2D work/DVD/etc,
>> but in 3D it's the rough equivalent of an OEM TNT2, much
>> slower than even the now-aged nForce 4 MX.
>OK, I guess it is not. Remember VIA makes a good chipset for Athlon 64,
>so it is probably worth a try. For an All-In-One Motherboard, I would
>not use an Asus Motherboard. However for a motherboard without
>integrated Video Asus makes perfect Sense.

Why not? I have an Asus A7N266-VM here (nForce1) which was
dissappointing to have no voltage, manual multiplier
changes, or extended FSB (>160MHz) features until hacked,
but beyond those overclocking features (and/or after hacked
to provide them) it's been a very solid board, currently
running a Barton @ 2.4 GHz, which was a nice way to extend
it's life.

I have heard that the A7N8X-VM (??) is a bit pickier than
some with regards to memory, but anything dual-channel might
be, and reverting to single-channel mode on such a board
will still be higher performance than a single-channel
solution... not a gamer's delight by any stretch but still
suitable for the games the GF4MX was designed for, DX7-era.
Then again that was earlier in DDR memory technology too,
now the average PC3200 name-brand should be OK for dual
channel especially after the board has newer bios flashed.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2004 6:04:38 AM

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959DF12134937MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
> Abit NF7-S
> ASUS A7N8X Deluxe revision 2.0
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
> Biostar M7NCG

Thanks everyone.

I'll check out the NForce2 boards as well now
!