Print Server vs Print / Scan Server

wj

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been
considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_detail.aspx?AREA=MFC_1&PRODUCTID=MFC8440

I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP
(AES). So any print server I use must also have this.
The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=659

However, Brother says I should use this one:
http://solutions.brother.com/nc2200w_all/en_us/
My problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that
security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.

Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?

Dee

WJ wrote:

> I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been
> considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:
>
> http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_detail.aspx?AREA=MFC_1&PRODUCTID=MFC8440
>

> I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
> wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.
>
> My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP
> (AES). So any print server I use must also have this.
> The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=659
>
> However, Brother says I should use this one:
> http://solutions.brother.com/nc2200w_all/en_us/
> My problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that
> security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.
>
> Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?

I can't make any definitive statements about MFC-8440, but I have a
Brother HL-1440 laser printer and I could not get the thing to work with
networked USB print servers. I ended up using a D-Link parallel print
server. Don't know where the problem is, but Brother Tech Support
claimed it was the USB print servers' fault. The printer would function
perfectly when it was plugged directly to a computer's USB port.