Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2004 4:02:02 AM

Hi,

I have a 733Mhz/133FSB ASUS CUV4x mobo with 1,5 GB SDRAM. I would like
to keep the SDRAM and buy a newer CPU and mobo. I would like to stick
w/ ASUS. Have yah any advice on this ?
Would this mean that I have to get an used mobo and CPU ?

TIA!

Erica

More about : mobo sdram

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2004 7:24:12 AM

Erica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 733Mhz/133FSB ASUS CUV4x mobo with 1,5 GB SDRAM. I would like
> to keep the SDRAM and buy a newer CPU and mobo. I would like to stick
> w/ ASUS. Have yah any advice on this ?
> Would this mean that I have to get an used mobo and CPU ?
>
> TIA!
>
> Erica

The choices for a new mobo boil down to a pre-XP Athlon, say 1.4 gig/200
MHz FSB (unfortunately those cost a virtual fortune so you'd want a 1.3
gig), with an SDRAM chipset (VIA KT133A) or an Intel 845 chipset, SDRAM,
socket 423 2 or 2.26 gig P4. I don't have Asus numbers off hand but I'm
sure they made both types.

The cheapest upgrade would probably be one of the 7 buck 'no name' socket
converters and a Tualatin Celeron (P-III 256KB size cache) in your existing
mobo; either a 1 to 1.4 gig running 100 Mhz FSB or a 1 gig overclocked
(better choice) to 133 Mhz FSB, maybe 150 Mhz FSB if the RAM can take it.

ECS made the K7S5A Pro that will take 266 MHz FSB XPs up to 2600+ but it
has issues, isn't Asus, and has only two (2 SDRAM and 2 DDR, one or the
other) RAM slots and I'm betting you have three 512 Meg sticks. But it's
the fastest XP capable board you can get with SDRAM.

Another one in the "only two RAM slots of each type" department is the
'almost Asus' ASrock ASR G PRO 478 socket P4. Like the ECS board there are
2 SDRAM and 2 DDR slots and you can use either but not both types. Will
take 533 Mhz FSB P4s for, presumably, up to 3.06 gig but I think you'd be
severely choking a 3.06 gig P4 with SDRAM making it maybe not worth the
premium in price over, say, a 2.6 gig.

The ECS and ASrock are both SIS chipsets.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2004 6:29:42 AM

Hi,

I think that the upgrade to the Tualatin Celeron 1.0-1.4GHz would be
nice but I am curious if I can keep the mobo I have right considering
that ASUS says it is for: Intel Pentium® II/III 300~800+MHz Coppermine
and Celeron™ processors ?

If the upgrade would work what do I have to get in order to make it
fly ?

Those 1,5GB mems are SDRAM DIMMs.

Erica

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pecilptgnb9b6@corp.supernews.com>...
> Erica wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a 733Mhz/133FSB ASUS CUV4x mobo with 1,5 GB SDRAM. I would like
> > to keep the SDRAM and buy a newer CPU and mobo. I would like to stick
> > w/ ASUS. Have yah any advice on this ?
> > Would this mean that I have to get an used mobo and CPU ?
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Erica
>
> The choices for a new mobo boil down to a pre-XP Athlon, say 1.4 gig/200
> MHz FSB (unfortunately those cost a virtual fortune so you'd want a 1.3
> gig), with an SDRAM chipset (VIA KT133A) or an Intel 845 chipset, SDRAM,
> socket 423 2 or 2.26 gig P4. I don't have Asus numbers off hand but I'm
> sure they made both types.
>
> The cheapest upgrade would probably be one of the 7 buck 'no name' socket
> converters and a Tualatin Celeron (P-III 256KB size cache) in your existing
> mobo; either a 1 to 1.4 gig running 100 Mhz FSB or a 1 gig overclocked
> (better choice) to 133 Mhz FSB, maybe 150 Mhz FSB if the RAM can take it.
>
> ECS made the K7S5A Pro that will take 266 MHz FSB XPs up to 2600+ but it
> has issues, isn't Asus, and has only two (2 SDRAM and 2 DDR, one or the
> other) RAM slots and I'm betting you have three 512 Meg sticks. But it's
> the fastest XP capable board you can get with SDRAM.
>
> Another one in the "only two RAM slots of each type" department is the
> 'almost Asus' ASrock ASR G PRO 478 socket P4. Like the ECS board there are
> 2 SDRAM and 2 DDR slots and you can use either but not both types. Will
> take 533 Mhz FSB P4s for, presumably, up to 3.06 gig but I think you'd be
> severely choking a 3.06 gig P4 with SDRAM making it maybe not worth the
> premium in price over, say, a 2.6 gig.
>
> The ECS and ASrock are both SIS chipsets.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2004 3:43:02 PM

Erica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that the upgrade to the Tualatin Celeron 1.0-1.4GHz would be
> nice but I am curious if I can keep the mobo I have right considering
> that ASUS says it is for: Intel Pentium® II/III 300~800+MHz Coppermine
> and Celeron™ processors ?

Yes. Well, 'officially' a tualatin processor isn't supposed to work at all,
regardless of speed. That's what the adapter is for.

Btw, the manual and original 'sales' page may have said "300~800+MHz" but
their compatibility list shows the P3 1 Gig supported as of BIOS rev 1006
(which may be a typo for 1009 because all the others say 1009).

I run two old Abit BH6, BX chipset (P-II), motherboards with tualatins; one
with the upgradeware Slot-T slotket (SLOT to socKET adapter) and the other
with a 'coppermine' slotket I modified to do tualatins. I also run one in a
chaintec socket 370 motherboard using the el-cheapo socket adapter I
mentioned. And, lastly, I'm running one in an Asus P2B-VM motherboard,
again with a modified coppermine slotket, that's a heck of a lot older than
your CUV4X.

It isn't 'risk free' but I checked the upgradeware compatibility list and
your motherboard is on it (says to not use the P-III tualatin server
version but you wouldn't be buying that).

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/compat...

Their socket adapter is quite a bit more expensive and the one I used is
essentially a clone of it.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=S370TUA&sou...

The adapter goes in the motherboard socket like the CPU would. The CPU then
goes in the adapter. It's a 'stack'.

These folks have good prices on celeron tualatins.

https://www.granitecoast.com/asset-recovery/view_cat_pr...

Starmicro also has the 1.1 gig for a good price and the 'official Intel'
heatsink for it at 8 bucks more (plus shipping).

Or, give this one a shot for 1 buck (maybe shipping is a million, I didn't
'register' to see).

http://www.arc.cc/product.php?pid=189#

For *quiet*, because of the low speed 80mm fan, this is a decent cooler for
only 8 bucks (my choice for cheap and quiet):

http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=1316&Cate...

This one is quite a bit more expensive but it's my favorite for excellent
cooling and *still* only 21 dba of noise. And that is *quiet*.

http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=35

Or, you might be able to use the heatsink you've got. That comes to 0 ;)

I'd go for a 1.1 gig and overclock it as the higher FSB you'd get that way
is a bit of a benefit. That's what I did on the P2B-VM: a 1.1 Gig Celeron
Tualatin overclocked to 1.36 Gig on 124 Mhz FSB. I think it would go higher
but 124 MHz was what the P-III I had in there previously was overclocked to
(750 OC'd to 930) and it's a pain in the neck to rip the whole case apart
to access the motherboard jumpers on that thing so I just left it there.

Risks:

If you have a problem you'll have to get help from the newsgroups (also try
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking) as it's not 'officially' supposed to work
in the first place and, needless to say, in the unlikely event you needed
to return something don't say it didn't work in your board that it isn't
supposed to work in ;)  Say you tried it in a TUV4X (note, a TUV4X is just a
CUV4X updated to run tualatins. (CU=coppermine, TU=tualatin, V=Via chipset,
and 4X=AGP 4X)

The tualatin processors are not more power than the P3, but it's at a lower
voltage with higher current and the higher current is harder on the
motherboard regulators. I like to stay under 1.4 Gig for that reason. I had
a 1.3 Gig tualatin overclocked to 1.456 gig take out the regulator on a
BH6, after a year of service, mind you. And that was because I operated it
in high ambient temperatures (90F or so). Lesson: don't run it in an
un-airconditioned environment shoved under a desk against a wall (I
repaired it, btw, and it's still in service). But others have run them on
up to 1.6 gig without problem (in different motherboards, like Asus).

On the other hand, if you were considering a new motherboard to run it then
you loose nothing (well, the 5 buck adapter) by trying it on yours first.

Lastly, it might not overclock as high. Odds are good that it will but
there's always a chance it won't. In which case you'd have a 1.1 to 1.23
gig processor (10-12% is almost always a 'sure thing'). But the difference
between 1.23 and 1.36 (124 Mhz FSB, like mine) is only 9% and not really
enough to get all that worked up about, IMO. Frankly, if mine will run 1.36
Gig in an ancient P2B-VM yours should too, especially since your board was
designed to run the P-III core voltages (1.6-1.7V) while mine are for the
much higher P-II core voltages (2V); Meaning mine are 'stretched' from the
'optimum' operating point, to get the tualatin stock 1.5V, more than yours
would be. But, shoot, running them 1.6-1.65 is just about right for
overclocking anyway so you're dead on with that CUV4X.

I hope that helps more than confuses ;)

> If the upgrade would work what do I have to get in order to make it
> fly ?
>
> Those 1,5GB mems are SDRAM DIMMs.
>
> Erica
>
> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pecilptgnb9b6@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Erica wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a 733Mhz/133FSB ASUS CUV4x mobo with 1,5 GB SDRAM. I would like
>>>to keep the SDRAM and buy a newer CPU and mobo. I would like to stick
>>>w/ ASUS. Have yah any advice on this ?
>>>Would this mean that I have to get an used mobo and CPU ?
>>>
>>>TIA!
>>>
>>>Erica
>>
>>The choices for a new mobo boil down to a pre-XP Athlon, say 1.4 gig/200
>>MHz FSB (unfortunately those cost a virtual fortune so you'd want a 1.3
>>gig), with an SDRAM chipset (VIA KT133A) or an Intel 845 chipset, SDRAM,
>>socket 423 2 or 2.26 gig P4. I don't have Asus numbers off hand but I'm
>>sure they made both types.
>>
>>The cheapest upgrade would probably be one of the 7 buck 'no name' socket
>>converters and a Tualatin Celeron (P-III 256KB size cache) in your existing
>>mobo; either a 1 to 1.4 gig running 100 Mhz FSB or a 1 gig overclocked
>>(better choice) to 133 Mhz FSB, maybe 150 Mhz FSB if the RAM can take it.
>>
>>ECS made the K7S5A Pro that will take 266 MHz FSB XPs up to 2600+ but it
>>has issues, isn't Asus, and has only two (2 SDRAM and 2 DDR, one or the
>>other) RAM slots and I'm betting you have three 512 Meg sticks. But it's
>>the fastest XP capable board you can get with SDRAM.
>>
>>Another one in the "only two RAM slots of each type" department is the
>>'almost Asus' ASrock ASR G PRO 478 socket P4. Like the ECS board there are
>>2 SDRAM and 2 DDR slots and you can use either but not both types. Will
>>take 533 Mhz FSB P4s for, presumably, up to 3.06 gig but I think you'd be
>>severely choking a 3.06 gig P4 with SDRAM making it maybe not worth the
>>premium in price over, say, a 2.6 gig.
>>
>>The ECS and ASrock are both SIS chipsets.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2004 8:35:22 PM

On 21 Nov 2004 03:29:42 -0800, erica_johnson@hotmail.com
(Erica) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think that the upgrade to the Tualatin Celeron 1.0-1.4GHz would be
>nice but I am curious if I can keep the mobo I have right considering
>that ASUS says it is for: Intel Pentium® II/III 300~800+MHz Coppermine
>and Celeron™ processors ?
>
>If the upgrade would work what do I have to get in order to make it
>fly ?
>
>Those 1,5GB mems are SDRAM DIMMs.
>
>Erica

There are guides on the 'net to modify the pinout of the
CPU,
http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/
or just buy an adapter,
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Tualatin+adapter&scorin...