HDD=H drive

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Built this box about a year ago, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, Athlon XP 2500 with
SATA HDD. Win XP Home

Never thought much about it, but buddy was over and asked why I had an H
drive as my local disk, not C. Said that's what Windows assigned when it
set up, and told him I didn't know, but would ask those more knowledgeable
than me. (Just a part time tinkerer)

Know I could reassign drives, but never was an issue to me.

Now I'm curious.

Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:

Thanks
Mark

pheasant wrote:

> Built this box about a year ago, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, Athlon XP 2500 with
> SATA HDD. Win XP Home
>
> Never thought much about it, but buddy was over and asked why I had an H
> drive as my local disk, not C. Said that's what Windows assigned when it
> set up, and told him I didn't know, but would ask those more knowledgeable
> than me. (Just a part time tinkerer)
>
> Know I could reassign drives, but never was an issue to me.
>
> Now I'm curious.
>
> Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Simplified version: Windows XP does not determine drive letters in the same
manner as Windows98, which scans for drives, by type, in a specific order.
Windows XP assigns them in the order detected by Plug and Play. Note, it's
not really 'drives' that count; it's partitions that are assigned letters.

In your case, SATA was detected after the others so the drive's partition
got 'H'.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:32:46 -0600, "pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Built this box about a year ago, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, Athlon XP 2500 with
>SATA HDD. Win XP Home
>
>Never thought much about it, but buddy was over and asked why I had an H
>drive as my local disk, not C. Said that's what Windows assigned when it
>set up, and told him I didn't know, but would ask those more knowledgeable
>than me. (Just a part time tinkerer)
>
>Know I could reassign drives, but never was an issue to me.
>
>Now I'm curious.
>
>Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:
>
>Thanks
>Mark

I did this setting up an XP computer and never noticed it was setting
my local disk as F:\. It happened, I believe, because I had a memory
card sitting in a USB slot, and that got assigned as C:\ .

AFAIK you can reassign the letter of any drive EXCEPT the local disk.
You are stuck with it. The only real problem is that I am constantly
tripped up by sloppy install routines that automatically assume C:\ is
the local drive.

If I am wrong and there is a remedy please someone else tell me.

nl

nl wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:32:46 -0600, "pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Built this box about a year ago, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, Athlon XP 2500 with
>>SATA HDD. Win XP Home
>>
>>Never thought much about it, but buddy was over and asked why I had an H
>>drive as my local disk, not C. Said that's what Windows assigned when it
>>set up, and told him I didn't know, but would ask those more knowledgeable
>>than me. (Just a part time tinkerer)
>>
>>Know I could reassign drives, but never was an issue to me.
>>
>>Now I'm curious.
>>
>>Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:
>>
>>Thanks
>>Mark
>>

> I did this setting up an XP computer and never noticed it was setting
> my local disk as F:\. It happened, I believe, because I had a memory
> card sitting in a USB slot, and that got assigned as C:\ .
>
> AFAIK you can reassign the letter of any drive EXCEPT the local disk.
> You are stuck with it. The only real problem is that I am constantly
> tripped up by sloppy install routines that automatically assume C:\ is
> the local drive.
>
> If I am wrong and there is a remedy please someone else tell me.
>
> nl

Nope. Can't change it, unless, perhaps, you had the patience of Job and the
skill of a brain surgeon a thousand times over. There are just too many
places in the registry where the drive letter will be referenced, such as
scads of DLL location references in every installed program, and then the
drive signature, itself, and drive assignment, boot device assignment
(boot.ini), windows root directory assignment, and lord knows what else.

martin

David Maynard wrote:
> nl wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:32:46 -0600, "pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Built this box about a year ago, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, Athlon XP
>>> 2500 with SATA HDD. Win XP Home
>>>
>>> Never thought much about it, but buddy was over and asked why I had
>>> an H drive as my local disk, not C. Said that's what Windows
>>> assigned when it set up, and told him I didn't know, but would ask
>>> those more knowledgeable than me. (Just a part time tinkerer)
>>>
>>> Know I could reassign drives, but never was an issue to me.
>>>
>>> Now I'm curious.
>>>
>>> Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mark
>>>

>> I did this setting up an XP computer and never noticed it was setting
>> my local disk as F:\. It happened, I believe, because I had a memory
>> card sitting in a USB slot, and that got assigned as C:\ .
>>
>> AFAIK you can reassign the letter of any drive EXCEPT the local disk.
>> You are stuck with it. The only real problem is that I am constantly
>> tripped up by sloppy install routines that automatically assume C:\
>> is the local drive.
>>
>> If I am wrong and there is a remedy please someone else tell me.
>>
>> nl
>
> Nope. Can't change it, unless, perhaps, you had the patience of Job
> and the skill of a brain surgeon a thousand times over. There are
> just too many places in the registry where the drive letter will be
> referenced, such as scads of DLL location references in every
> installed program, and then the drive signature, itself, and drive
> assignment, boot device assignment (boot.ini), windows root directory
> assignment, and lord knows what else.

I seem to remember doing that once with Partition Magic.

Regards

Martin

Martin wrote:
> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>nl wrote:

>>>I did this setting up an XP computer and never noticed it was setting
>>>my local disk as F:\. It happened, I believe, because I had a memory
>>>card sitting in a USB slot, and that got assigned as C:\ .
>>>
>>>AFAIK you can reassign the letter of any drive EXCEPT the local disk.
>>>You are stuck with it. The only real problem is that I am constantly
>>>tripped up by sloppy install routines that automatically assume C:\
>>>is the local drive.
>>>
>>>If I am wrong and there is a remedy please someone else tell me.
>>>
>>>nl
>>
>>Nope. Can't change it, unless, perhaps, you had the patience of Job
>>and the skill of a brain surgeon a thousand times over. There are
>>just too many places in the registry where the drive letter will be
>>referenced, such as scads of DLL location references in every
>>installed program, and then the drive signature, itself, and drive
>>assignment, boot device assignment (boot.ini), windows root directory
>>assignment, and lord knows what else.
>

> I seem to remember doing that once with Partition Magic.

Off hand I don't see how.

> Regards
>
> Martin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Built this box about a year ago, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, Athlon XP 2500 with
>SATA HDD. Win XP Home
>
>Never thought much about it, but buddy was over and asked why I had an H
>drive as my local disk, not C.

For more information, try following this path.
Start - All Programs - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk
Management

If Administrative Tools is not under All Programs then you'll have to get
to it some other way.

Said that's what Windows assigned when it
>set up, and told him I didn't know, but would ask those more
knowledgeable
>than me. (Just a part time tinkerer)
>
>Know I could reassign drives, but never was an issue to me.
>
>Now I'm curious.
>
>Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:
>
>Thanks
>Mark

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
..
> pheasant wrote:

>> Now I'm curious.
>>
>> Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:

> Simplified version: Windows XP does not determine drive letters in the
> same manner as Windows98, which scans for drives, by type, in a specific
> order. Windows XP assigns them in the order detected by Plug and Play.
> Note, it's not really 'drives' that count; it's partitions that are
> assigned letters.
>
> In your case, SATA was detected after the others so the drive's partition
> got 'H'.

Thanks David!

If you could do brain surgery with a 3 pound sledge and a #2 phillips
screwdriver I'd be right in style. The letters ain't gonna change. ;)
Mark

pheasant wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> .
>
>>pheasant wrote:
>

>>>Now I'm curious.
>>>
>>>Drive letters are: CD-Rom D: CDRW G: SATA HDD H:
>

>>Simplified version: Windows XP does not determine drive letters in the
>>same manner as Windows98, which scans for drives, by type, in a specific
>>order. Windows XP assigns them in the order detected by Plug and Play.
>>Note, it's not really 'drives' that count; it's partitions that are
>>assigned letters.
>>
>>In your case, SATA was detected after the others so the drive's partition
>>got 'H'.
>

> Thanks David!

You're welcome

> If you could do brain surgery with a 3 pound sledge and a #2 phillips
> screwdriver I'd be right in style. The letters ain't gonna change. ;)
> Mark

I know what you mean ;)

martin

David Maynard wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> Nope. Can't change it, unless, perhaps, you had the patience of Job
>>> and the skill of a brain surgeon a thousand times over. There are
>>> just too many places in the registry where the drive letter will be
>>> referenced, such as scads of DLL location references in every
>>> installed program, and then the drive signature, itself, and drive
>>> assignment, boot device assignment (boot.ini), windows root
>>> directory assignment, and lord knows what else.
>>

>> I seem to remember doing that once with Partition Magic.
>
> Off hand I don't see how.

I *think* the following describes it....

Running DriveMapper in PartitionMagic 8.0
Situation:
This document describes how to run DriveMapper in PartitionMagic 8.0.

Solution:

Before you begin:
DriveMapper runs automatically if all the following conditions are met:
- You apply changes to your system that affect drive letter assignments.
- You are running Windows® 95 or Windows 98.
- Your hard disk contains only FAT or FAT32 partitions.
- You have no more than one CD-ROM drive and no more than one removable
drive.
If you are using Windows NT®, Windows 2000, or Windows XP as your only
operating system, Symantec recommends using the "Change Drive Letter"
operation
rather than DriveMapper.
If you run multiple operating systems, you should reinstall applications
rather than use DriveMapper.
See the PartitionMagic User Guide for an explanation of why this is
recommended.

To manually run DriveMapper
Do one of the following:
If you have Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 - On the Windows taskbar, click Start
> Programs > Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 > Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 Tools >
DriveMapper.
If you have PartitionMagic 8.0 - On the Windows taskbar, click Start >
Programs > PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 > PartitionMagic 8.0 Tools >
DriveMapper.
Read the information on the screen, and then click Next.
Click Add to add a task.
Select the option that corresponds to the type of drive letter reference
changes you need to make.
Click OK.
Select the original drive letter (the letter assigned to the drive before
you make partition changes).
Select the new drive letter (the letter that will be assigned to the drive
after partition changes are made).
Click OK.
In the Task list, read the task description carefully and verify that it
states the order of drive letter changes correctly.
Click Finish.

In the Processing Tasks window, you see the operation's progress. After the
changes are complete, DriveMapper closes.

Note: DriveMapper automatically performs drive letter reference changes in
the proper order. Symantec strongly recommends that you apply changes in the
order that DriveMapper chooses. DriveMapper must update drive letter
references in a particular order to avoid destroying the original drive
letter references, which it temporarily needs in order to correctly perform
the update.

For example, suppose that you have two partitions (C and D) on your hard
disk, and your CD-ROM drive is E. You create a new logical partition between
partitions C and D. The new partition is assigned the letter D, the old
partition D is assigned the letter E, and the CD-ROM drive is assigned the
letter F. DriveMapper must first change the CD-ROM drive (E) references to F
before it can change the drive D references to E.

Regards

Martin

Martin wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>Martin wrote:

>>>I seem to remember doing that once with Partition Magic.
>>
>>Off hand I don't see how.
>

> I *think* the following describes it....

It doesn't describe what "Change Drive Letter," that it says to use for XP,
is vs DriveMapper.

> [...]
> changes are complete, DriveMapper closes.
>

> Note: DriveMapper automatically performs drive letter reference changes in
> the proper order. Symantec strongly recommends that you apply changes in the
> order that DriveMapper chooses. DriveMapper must update drive letter
> references in a particular order to avoid destroying the original drive
> letter references, which it temporarily needs in order to correctly perform
> the update.
>
> For example, suppose that you have two partitions (C and D) on your hard
> disk, and your CD-ROM drive is E. You create a new logical partition between
> partitions C and D. The new partition is assigned the letter D, the old
> partition D is assigned the letter E, and the CD-ROM drive is assigned the
> letter F. DriveMapper must first change the CD-ROM drive (E) references to F
> before it can change the drive D references to E.

martin

David Maynard wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> Off hand I don't see how.
>>

>> I *think* the following describes it....
>
> It doesn't describe what "Change Drive Letter," that it says to use
> for XP, is vs DriveMapper.

I'm sorry, I can't understand the above sentence.

When I changed a partition letter in Partition Magic (from d: to c: for
example), Partition Magic took care of all the drive references which would
be affected. I think this would address the OP's potential problems. BTW,
that was with XP.

Regards

Martin

Martin wrote:
> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>Martin wrote:

>>>I *think* the following describes it....
>>
>>It doesn't describe what "Change Drive Letter," that it says to use
>>for XP, is vs DriveMapper.
>>

> I'm sorry, I can't understand the above sentence.

The instruction title was "Running DriveMapper in PartitionMagic 8.0"

But the instructions said "If you are using Windows NT®, Windows 2000, or
Windows XP as your only operating system, Symantec recommends using the
"Change Drive Letter" operation rather than DriveMapper.

And that's the only time "Change Drive Letter operation" is mentioned and
what it means, or is, is not explained other than the one sentence which
seems to say it isn't "DriveMapper."

> When I changed a partition letter in Partition Magic (from d: to c: for
> example), Partition Magic took care of all the drive references which would
> be affected. I think this would address the OP's potential problems. BTW,
> that was with XP.

From what you say it very well might. When partition magic was first
mentioned I just thought of changing a partition but from what you say it
apparently has more than just partition management in it.

I'm still not sure how it manages to change a gazillion registry entries
for a system drive while the system is supposedly operating out of the same
registry that's being changed on the fly. How does XP stay sane when, say,
half the registry entries have been changed (it's still working on it) so
that half are pointing to the old drive letter and the other half to the
new and the partitions are labeled which way? old or new? Doesn't matter,
half are still wrong.

Changing non-system drive letters I can see, no sweat.

> Regards
>
> Martin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Re: Boot drive assigned H:

If you install win XP with a multiformat USB card reader attached, the 4
types of flash memory card use up drives C: D: E: F:, which is also a
nuisance.

I always install with a single hdd and a single cd rom.

Eddie B. wrote:

> Re: Boot drive assigned H:
>
> If you install win XP with a multiformat USB card reader attached, the 4
> types of flash memory card use up drives C: D: E: F:, which is also a
> nuisance.

Oh, that's cute. Thanks for the tip.

"Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> wrote in message
> Re: Boot drive assigned H:
>
> If you install win XP with a multiformat USB card reader attached, the 4
> types of flash memory card use up drives C: D: E: F:, which is also a
> nuisance.
>
> I always install with a single hdd and a single cd rom.

BINGO!!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I put in to catch the kids' digital camera memory.

So for future reference, when loading WXP into a box, start with a cd rom
and hdd, load windows, then add the memory card reader.

This is a great tip.

Andy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:43:34 -0600, "pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> wrote in message
>> Re: Boot drive assigned H:
>>
>> If you install win XP with a multiformat USB card reader attached, the 4
>> types of flash memory card use up drives C: D: E: F:, which is also a
>> nuisance.
>>
>> I always install with a single hdd and a single cd rom.
>
>BINGO!!!!!
>
>This is EXACTLY what I put in to catch the kids' digital camera memory.
>
>So for future reference, when loading WXP into a box, start with a cd rom
>and hdd, load windows, then add the memory card reader.
>
>This is a great tip.

Actually, it's not necessary to remove any storage devices before
installing Windows XP. In your situation, when you created the
partition, Windows XP setup program assigned H: to it because of the
existence of the USB card reader. At that point, all you have to do is
abort the installation (hit F3 twice). When you restart the
installation, Windows XP setup will assign C: to the now existing
partition on the new hard drive. This technique is much simpler, and
you don't run the risk of damaging something by removing connectors
unnecessarily.