Socket 775/AGP MB Recommendation?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 15, 2004 10:39:40 AM

I am intending to build my next system around a 3.6GHz Prescott
processor (Socket 775). I however would like to use my old Matrox
G450 dual head video card in the system.

The catch is that the G450 is an AGP card and most Socket 775 MBs seem
to be based on PCI Express and not have an AGP slot on board. The
only boards I could find that meets this bill are the Abit AS8 and the
Asus PSP800, although for about the same price, the Abit seems to be
much more feature packed (SATA, Firewire, etc.).

I would appreciate any recommendations for any other choices or
comments on the two above.

I intend to run a Debian Linux distro on it - any info on system
stability with Linux on any of these MBs would be useful as well.

Thanks!
November 15, 2004 3:29:06 PM

Scrumhalf wrote:
> I am intending to build my next system around a 3.6GHz Prescott
> processor (Socket 775). I however would like to use my old Matrox
> G450 dual head video card in the system.
>
> The catch is that the G450 is an AGP card and most Socket 775 MBs seem
> to be based on PCI Express and not have an AGP slot on board. The
> only boards I could find that meets this bill are the Abit AS8 and the
> Asus PSP800, although for about the same price, the Abit seems to be
> much more feature packed (SATA, Firewire, etc.).
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations for any other choices or
> comments on the two above.
>
> I intend to run a Debian Linux distro on it - any info on system
> stability with Linux on any of these MBs would be useful as well.
>
> Thanks!

Why not go with an AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 or socket 939? You would
get better performance at a lower price. You would just have to make
sure the MB would work with the Matrox G450 card. I don't know what
voltage it operates at, but some of the newer boards will only support
4x/8x 1.5 volt cards, not 3.3 volt.
November 15, 2004 7:29:38 PM

Dee <dee@home.net> wrote in message news:<yH5md.1982$za2.1556@fe61.usenetserver.com>...

> Why not go with an AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 or socket 939? You would
> get better performance at a lower price. You would just have to make
> sure the MB would work with the Matrox G450 card. I don't know what
> voltage it operates at, but some of the newer boards will only support
> 4x/8x 1.5 volt cards, not 3.3 volt.

Thing is, I already have a Prescott sitting on my shelf. Thanks for
the suggestion, though! I'll check out the Newegg search thing like
the other poster suggested.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 15, 2004 7:32:20 PM

"Scrumhalf" <ss_oregon@yahoo.com> wrote in message

" I would appreciate any recommendations for any other choices or comments
on the two above. "

Filter Newegg's Intel motherboard list for 'LGA775(Socket T)' and '8X', and
you will get 15 results.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=280&DEPA...

As for Linux, I wouldn't have a clue.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 15, 2004 9:38:55 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:29:06 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net>
wrote:

>Scrumhalf wrote:
>> I am intending to build my next system around a 3.6GHz Prescott
>> processor (Socket 775). I however would like to use my old Matrox
>> G450 dual head video card in the system.
>>
>> The catch is that the G450 is an AGP card and most Socket 775 MBs seem
>> to be based on PCI Express and not have an AGP slot on board. The
>> only boards I could find that meets this bill are the Abit AS8 and the
>> Asus PSP800, although for about the same price, the Abit seems to be
>> much more feature packed (SATA, Firewire, etc.).
>>
>> I would appreciate any recommendations for any other choices or
>> comments on the two above.
>>
>> I intend to run a Debian Linux distro on it - any info on system
>> stability with Linux on any of these MBs would be useful as well.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>Why not go with an AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 or socket 939? You would
>get better performance at a lower price. You would just have to make
>sure the MB would work with the Matrox G450 card. I don't know what
>voltage it operates at, but some of the newer boards will only support
>4x/8x 1.5 volt cards, not 3.3 volt.

IIRC, G400 was 3.3V only but G450 is 1.5V, too.
!