Network problems (long)

I have a network of 2 computers and 1 XBox.

The first computer was used to connect to the Internet via a USB ADSL
modem (I'll call this SERVER)

The second Computer (I'll call this GAMES) was connected to SERVER by
a crossover cable to a first network card in SERVER

The XBox is also connected to SERVER via a crossover cable to a second
identical network card in SREVER.

This setup worked fine for over a year.

I was then given a 8 port 10/100 network hub and switched over to all
3 computers connected to the Hub (unknown brand, labeled "Net
Connect"). This never worked 100%, XBox Live would not connect etc.

I then changed back to the crossover cable solution above but I am
having all sorts of problem including (but not limited to)

I have to run Network Setup on SERVER every time the XBox is powered
up for it to realise the XBox is actually switched on.

Keep getting no DNS error on XBox live

The connection to GAMES on SERVER does not realise that the computer
is switched off and says it is still connected when the computer is
off, only to say the computer to then say it isn't connected when the
computer is switched on

Recurring "limited or no connectivity" messages on GAMES - though this
seems to have been fixed by manually setting IP, Gateway and DNS
settings but I never used to have to do this, just running network
setup wizard on both machine used to work previously.

and worst of all:

Despite GAMES and SERVER being able to connect to each other and see
each others drives and ICS being setup and working (XBox eventually
connecting to live being the proof) GAMES will not connect to the
Internet at all, it say looking for the web site then just gets page
cannot be displayed.

a couple of facts:

GAMES finishes it's network setup very quick, a matter of 5 seconds,
much less than it used to take, also it used to say something along
the lines of "Network Setup Wizard has found Internet connection blah,
would you like to use this as your default Internet connection?" this
no longer comes up despite being the same hardware, ISP and drivers

I suspect this is all SP2 related since it has been installed recently
on both computers, I'm loathed to spent the best part of a day
reinstalling both computers for possibly no gain, any help would be
gratefully received.

I would ideally like to get the hub working since there is another
computer to link up but even just to get the current system running
properly would be great.

My systems:

GAMES:

Windows XP Home
Athlon 2500+ XP
MSI K7N2 Delta (NForce 2 chipset)
1 gig RAM (2 x 512 meg DDR2700 Samsung sticks)
Leadtek A350tdh FX5900 running at 400/700
Maxtor 7Y250P0 250GB Ultra ATA/133 7200RPM 8meg buffer
(primary master)
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB Ultra ATA/100, 7200 RPM, 2MB
(Primary Slave)
NEC ND2510a (8x8x32)
(Secondary Master)
AOpen CD-RW CDW4852 (48x24x52) ATA-2
(Secondary slave)
ITE Raid ATA-133 Controller IT8212
Matashita DVD-RAM SW-9581 (2x) ATA-4
(on raid card secondary master)
Belkin F5U508EA 3xUSB2 & 2xFirewire PCI card

SERVER:

Widows XP Pro
Duron 1600
Abit KT7a v1.3
768 meg ram - 2x Crucial 256meg PC133 & 1 unbranded 256meg PC133
Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
Seagate ST340810A 40gig 5400rpm ATA-100
2 x Realtek RTL8139 network card (10/100)
unknown 4 port USB PCI card
unknown sound card (listed as Yamaha DS1 in control panel)
Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

Luke Curtis wrote:

> I have a network of 2 computers and 1 XBox.
>
> The first computer was used to connect to the Internet via a USB ADSL
> modem (I'll call this SERVER)
>
> The second Computer (I'll call this GAMES) was connected to SERVER by
> a crossover cable to a first network card in SERVER
>
> The XBox is also connected to SERVER via a crossover cable to a second
> identical network card in SREVER.
>
> This setup worked fine for over a year.
>

> I was then given a 8 port 10/100 network hub and switched over to all
> 3 computers connected to the Hub (unknown brand, labeled "Net
> Connect"). This never worked 100%, XBox Live would not connect etc.
>
> I then changed back to the crossover cable solution above but I am
> having all sorts of problem including (but not limited to)
>

> I have to run Network Setup on SERVER every time the XBox is powered
> up for it to realise the XBox is actually switched on.
>
> Keep getting no DNS error on XBox live
>
> The connection to GAMES on SERVER does not realise that the computer
> is switched off and says it is still connected when the computer is
> off, only to say the computer to then say it isn't connected when the
> computer is switched on
>
> Recurring "limited or no connectivity" messages on GAMES - though this
> seems to have been fixed by manually setting IP, Gateway and DNS
> settings but I never used to have to do this, just running network
> setup wizard on both machine used to work previously.
>
> and worst of all:
>
> Despite GAMES and SERVER being able to connect to each other and see
> each others drives and ICS being setup and working (XBox eventually
> connecting to live being the proof) GAMES will not connect to the
> Internet at all, it say looking for the web site then just gets page
> cannot be displayed.
>

> a couple of facts:
>
> GAMES finishes it's network setup very quick, a matter of 5 seconds,
> much less than it used to take, also it used to say something along
> the lines of "Network Setup Wizard has found Internet connection blah,
> would you like to use this as your default Internet connection?" this
> no longer comes up despite being the same hardware, ISP and drivers
>

> I suspect this is all SP2 related since it has been installed recently
> on both computers, I'm loathed to spent the best part of a day
> reinstalling both computers for possibly no gain, any help would be
> gratefully received.
>
> I would ideally like to get the hub working since there is another
> computer to link up but even just to get the current system running
> properly would be great.

The hub should be fine.

It sounds to me like internet connection sharing got turned off on your
'server' machine. The SP2 firewall could also be blocking.

Check your Internet connection and make sure internet connection sharing is
enabled on it.

Check the file and printer sharing options in the firewall settings. Make
sure it's checked on and check the scope: subnet only. (or, if you still
have problems, disable the firewall till you get the basic connections
sorted out).

The network card in 'server' going to the hub must have a static IP
assignment. For it's properties check on TCP/IP and File and Printer
Sharing. Do not enable client for microsoft network as that connection is
not logging onto a network, it is a router connection for the OTHER
computers to connect into it on.

Make a new network setup disk.

Easier, and more reliable, than the above manual steps might be to simply
rerun the Connection Sharing Wizard and redo it all with the new network
card configuration.

Frankly, it shouldn't take much to 'setup' the clients. Set everything to
'auto'. I.E. get IP automatically, etc. Of course, TCP/IP, File and Printer
Sharing, and Client for Microsoft Network should be installed.

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Matashita DVD-RAM SW-9581 (2x) ATA-4
> (on raid card secondary master)
> Belkin F5U508EA 3xUSB2 & 2xFirewire PCI card
>
> SERVER:
>
> Widows XP Pro
> Duron 1600
> Abit KT7a v1.3
> 768 meg ram - 2x Crucial 256meg PC133 & 1 unbranded 256meg PC133
> Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
> Seagate ST340810A 40gig 5400rpm ATA-100
> 2 x Realtek RTL8139 network card (10/100)
> unknown 4 port USB PCI card
> unknown sound card (listed as Yamaha DS1 in control panel)
> Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem
>

> --
> ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
> systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
> Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
> (Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

The hub will never work as an internet connection. Your cable modem will
only accept one IP address at a time. You can get a 4 port Router for around
$40. This is the best way to connect and it increases you security. If time
is money its the cheap way to go.
HTH

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:21:40 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Luke Curtis wrote:
>
>> I have a network of 2 computers and 1 XBox.
>>
>> The first computer was used to connect to the Internet via a USB ADSL
>> modem (I'll call this SERVER)
>>
>> The second Computer (I'll call this GAMES) was connected to SERVER by
>> a crossover cable to a first network card in SERVER
>>
>> The XBox is also connected to SERVER via a crossover cable to a second
>> identical network card in SREVER.
>>
>> This setup worked fine for over a year.
>>

>> I was then given a 8 port 10/100 network hub and switched over to all
>> 3 computers connected to the Hub (unknown brand, labeled "Net
>> Connect"). This never worked 100%, XBox Live would not connect etc.
>>
>> I then changed back to the crossover cable solution above but I am
>> having all sorts of problem including (but not limited to)
>>

>> I have to run Network Setup on SERVER every time the XBox is powered
>> up for it to realise the XBox is actually switched on.
>>
>> Keep getting no DNS error on XBox live
>>
>> The connection to GAMES on SERVER does not realise that the computer
>> is switched off and says it is still connected when the computer is
>> off, only to say the computer to then say it isn't connected when the
>> computer is switched on
>>
>> Recurring "limited or no connectivity" messages on GAMES - though this
>> seems to have been fixed by manually setting IP, Gateway and DNS
>> settings but I never used to have to do this, just running network
>> setup wizard on both machine used to work previously.
>>
>> and worst of all:
>>
>> Despite GAMES and SERVER being able to connect to each other and see
>> each others drives and ICS being setup and working (XBox eventually
>> connecting to live being the proof) GAMES will not connect to the
>> Internet at all, it say looking for the web site then just gets page
>> cannot be displayed.
>>

>> a couple of facts:
>>
>> GAMES finishes it's network setup very quick, a matter of 5 seconds,
>> much less than it used to take, also it used to say something along
>> the lines of "Network Setup Wizard has found Internet connection blah,
>> would you like to use this as your default Internet connection?" this
>> no longer comes up despite being the same hardware, ISP and drivers
>>

>> I suspect this is all SP2 related since it has been installed recently
>> on both computers, I'm loathed to spent the best part of a day
>> reinstalling both computers for possibly no gain, any help would be
>> gratefully received.
>>
>> I would ideally like to get the hub working since there is another
>> computer to link up but even just to get the current system running
>> properly would be great.
>
>The hub should be fine.
>
>It sounds to me like internet connection sharing got turned off on your
>'server' machine.

it says it is on....

>The SP2 firewall could also be blocking.

I did try switching it off...

>Check your Internet connection and make sure internet connection sharing is
>enabled on it.

it is.

>Check the file and printer sharing options in the firewall settings. Make
>sure it's checked on and check the scope: subnet only. (or, if you still
>have problems, disable the firewall till you get the basic connections
>sorted out).

tried disabling all firewalls...

>The network card in 'server' going to the hub must have a static IP
>assignment. For it's properties check on TCP/IP and File and Printer
>Sharing. Do not enable client for microsoft network as that connection is
>not logging onto a network, it is a router connection for the OTHER
>computers to connect into it on.
>
>Make a new network setup disk.
>
>Easier, and more reliable, than the above manual steps might be to simply
>rerun the Connection Sharing Wizard and redo it all with the new network
>card configuration.

tried that many times....

>Frankly, it shouldn't take much to 'setup' the clients. Set everything to
>'auto'. I.E. get IP automatically, etc. Of course, TCP/IP, File and Printer
>Sharing, and Client for Microsoft Network should be installed.

it never used to....

tried it the other way round (GAMES connected to the Internet and
SERVER networked to it) and it works fine with no fiddling at all,
just the standard network setup wizard on both machines.

--

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 02:14:01 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>> (on raid card secondary master)
>> Belkin F5U508EA 3xUSB2 & 2xFirewire PCI card
>>
>> SERVER:
>>
>> Widows XP Pro
>> Duron 1600
>> Abit KT7a v1.3
>> 768 meg ram - 2x Crucial 256meg PC133 & 1 unbranded 256meg PC133
>> Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
>> Seagate ST340810A 40gig 5400rpm ATA-100
>> 2 x Realtek RTL8139 network card (10/100)
>> unknown 4 port USB PCI card
>> unknown sound card (listed as Yamaha DS1 in control panel)
>> Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem
>>

>> --
>> ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
>> systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
>> Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
>> (Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)
>
>The hub will never work as an internet connection.
I'm not trying to use it as a Internet connection the Fujitsu Modem
connected to SERVER is the Internet connection, the hub just a
junction to GAMES and the Xbox.

--

> [...]
> >>
> >> Widows XP Pro
> >> Duron 1600
> >> Abit KT7a v1.3
> >> 768 meg ram - 2x Crucial 256meg PC133 & 1 unbranded 256meg PC133
> >> Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
> >> Seagate ST340810A 40gig 5400rpm ATA-100
> >> 2 x Realtek RTL8139 network card (10/100)
> >> unknown 4 port USB PCI card
> >> unknown sound card (listed as Yamaha DS1 in control panel)
> >> Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem
> >>

> >> --
> >> ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
> >> systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
> >> Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
> >> (Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)
> >
> >The hub will never work as an internet connection.
> I'm not trying to use it as a Internet connection the Fujitsu Modem
> connected to SERVER is the Internet connection, the hub just a

Look up Bridge Connections in Windows Help. Do you have webserver turned on
in the firewall on you computer <SERVER>? SP2 added info in Help for the new
features. I just started using XP so not real experienced with it and I'm
using a linksys router so never had to mess with this.

Have you used Ping, Pathping or Tracert to find where it stops? Using an IP
address instead of a host name doesn't use DNS. i.e.: type in 216.239.37.99
instead of google.com.
HTH

<snip>

It would be FAR eaiser to buy a £35 ADSL router and be done with it.

Set the router to be a DHCP server and enable NAT. Set the IP's of the PC's
to local addessses and thier gateway and DNS addresses to that of the
router.

Also eliminates the 'inet pc must allways be on' scenario.

hamman

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:09:52 -0000, "Hamman" <none@example.com> wrote:

><snip>
>
>It would be FAR eaiser to buy a £35 ADSL router and be done with it.
>
>Set the router to be a DHCP server and enable NAT. Set the IP's of the PC's
>to local addessses and thier gateway and DNS addresses to that of the
>router.
>
>Also eliminates the 'inet pc must allways be on' scenario.
>Hamman

I will buy a router pretty soon (Maplin have a 4 port router for
£24.99) but the annoying thing is that it was *so* simple, plug in the
lead, run network setup wizard on both machines and that was is
it.....

I think it is a bug in SP2 as I heard somebody else have exactly the
same problem after installing SP2 while listening to a IT helpdesk
live on the radio on Friday and the Microsoft technician on the show
didn't have a clue how to fix it, just palmed it off to a SP2 helpdesk
(0845 0902025) and they didn't have a clue either.

--

Luke Curtis wrote:
> [...]
>>>gratefully received.
>>>
>>>I would ideally like to get the hub working since there is another
>>>computer to link up but even just to get the current system running
>>>properly would be great.
>>
>>The hub should be fine.
>>
>>It sounds to me like internet connection sharing got turned off on your
>>'server' machine.
>

> it says it is on....
>
>>The SP2 firewall could also be blocking.
>

> I did try switching it off...
>

>>Check your Internet connection and make sure internet connection sharing is
>>enabled on it.
>

> it is.
>
>>Check the file and printer sharing options in the firewall settings. Make
>>sure it's checked on and check the scope: subnet only. (or, if you still
>>have problems, disable the firewall till you get the basic connections

Plural? You have more than one installed?

>>The network card in 'server' going to the hub must have a static IP
>>assignment. For it's properties check on TCP/IP and File and Printer
>>Sharing. Do not enable client for microsoft network as that connection is
>>not logging onto a network, it is a router connection for the OTHER
>>computers to connect into it on.
>>
>>Make a new network setup disk.
>>
>>Easier, and more reliable, than the above manual steps might be to simply
>>rerun the Connection Sharing Wizard and redo it all with the new network
>>card configuration.
>

> tried that many times....
>
>>Frankly, it shouldn't take much to 'setup' the clients. Set everything to
>>'auto'. I.E. get IP automatically, etc. Of course, TCP/IP, File and Printer
>>Sharing, and Client for Microsoft Network should be installed.
>

> it never used to....
>

> tried it the other way round (GAMES connected to the Internet and
> SERVER networked to it) and it works fine with no fiddling at all,
> just the standard network setup wizard on both machines.

As expected.

I had a similar problem once in that network connectivity was fouled and it
seemd to be due to a third party firewall/router and something I apparently
did 'wrong' with an upgrade, or something related. It's been so long ago
that I can't remember. But the point is it seemed to be a 'confusion' in
the TCP/IP stack caused by the hooks in the firewall getting 'broken' and
simply uninstalling the firewall didn't 'put it back' either.

I'd try completely removing networking, and any third party firewalls, and
then reinstalling it, with the hope the reinstall would fix any 'broken'
parts in the TCP/IP stack/routing.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:02:59 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Luke Curtis wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:21:40 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
>> wrote:

>>>The hub should be fine.
>>>
>>>It sounds to me like internet connection sharing got turned off on your
>>>'server' machine.
>>

>> it says it is on....
>>
>>>The SP2 firewall could also be blocking.
>>

>> I did try switching it off...
>>

>>>Check your Internet connection and make sure internet connection sharing is
>>>enabled on it.
>>

>> it is.
>>
>>>Check the file and printer sharing options in the firewall settings. Make
>>>sure it's checked on and check the scope: subnet only. (or, if you still
>>>have problems, disable the firewall till you get the basic connections
>>>sorted out).
>>

>> tried disabling all firewalls...
>
>Plural? You have more than one installed?
>

>>>The network card in 'server' going to the hub must have a static IP
>>>assignment. For it's properties check on TCP/IP and File and Printer
>>>Sharing. Do not enable client for microsoft network as that connection is
>>>not logging onto a network, it is a router connection for the OTHER
>>>computers to connect into it on.
>>>
>>>Make a new network setup disk.
>>>
>>>Easier, and more reliable, than the above manual steps might be to simply
>>>rerun the Connection Sharing Wizard and redo it all with the new network
>>>card configuration.
>>

>> tried that many times....
>>
>>>Frankly, it shouldn't take much to 'setup' the clients. Set everything to
>>>'auto'. I.E. get IP automatically, etc. Of course, TCP/IP, File and Printer
>>>Sharing, and Client for Microsoft Network should be installed.
>>

>> it never used to....
>>

>> tried it the other way round (GAMES connected to the Internet and
>> SERVER networked to it) and it works fine with no fiddling at all,
>> just the standard network setup wizard on both machines.
>
>As expected.
>
>I had a similar problem once in that network connectivity was fouled and it
>seemd to be due to a third party firewall/router and something I apparently
>did 'wrong' with an upgrade, or something related. It's been so long ago
>that I can't remember. But the point is it seemed to be a 'confusion' in
>the TCP/IP stack caused by the hooks in the firewall getting 'broken' and
>simply uninstalling the firewall didn't 'put it back' either.
>
>I'd try completely removing networking, and any third party firewalls, and
>then reinstalling it, with the hope the reinstall would fix any 'broken'
>parts in the TCP/IP stack/routing.

I gave in and re-installed on my games machine and its all working
fine now using the hub, didn't even have to run network setup, it
found it all and set it up automatically.

Luke Curtis wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:02:59 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Luke Curtis wrote:

>>>it says it is on....

>>>I did try switching it off...

>>>it is.

>>>tried disabling all firewalls...
>>
>>Plural? You have more than one installed?

>>>tried that many times....

>>>it never used to....
>>>

>>>tried it the other way round (GAMES connected to the Internet and
>>>SERVER networked to it) and it works fine with no fiddling at all,
>>>just the standard network setup wizard on both machines.
>>
>>As expected.
>>
>>I had a similar problem once in that network connectivity was fouled and it
>>seemd to be due to a third party firewall/router and something I apparently
>>did 'wrong' with an upgrade, or something related. It's been so long ago
>>that I can't remember. But the point is it seemed to be a 'confusion' in
>>the TCP/IP stack caused by the hooks in the firewall getting 'broken' and
>>simply uninstalling the firewall didn't 'put it back' either.
>>
>>I'd try completely removing networking, and any third party firewalls, and
>>then reinstalling it, with the hope the reinstall would fix any 'broken'
>>parts in the TCP/IP stack/routing.
>

> I gave in and re-installed on my games machine and its all working
> fine now using the hub, didn't even have to run network setup, it
> found it all and set it up automatically.

Ah. OK. Glad to hear it's working.