Mobo CD Audio Bridge

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
analog cable that comes with the optical drive?

thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about mobo audio bridge
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:34:18 GMT, "Craig Palme"
    <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    >cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
    >connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    >analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
    >
    >thanks

    No you will have to use a hammer.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
    Palme says...
    > I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    > cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
    > connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    > analog cable that comes with the optical drive?

    Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
    need has a white plug on one end.

    OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    using this archaic method I don't know.

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Conor wrote:

    > In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
    > Palme says...
    >
    >>I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    >>cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
    >>connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    >>analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
    >>

    > Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
    > need has a white plug on one end.

    No, he simply needs to plug it into the one that fits the cable he's got.
    *IF* he had the cable with the white plug then he'd plug it into the other one.

    > OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    > as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    > using this archaic method I don't know.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor
    <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

    >OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    >as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    >using this archaic method I don't know.

    Nobody "insists" on it, is simply an additional feature...
    if you don't want to use it, don't. It'd probably cost more
    to redesign the whole thing than to just leave the jack
    there, after all CDROM and RW drives have been pretty near
    free-after-rebate for a couple years now, if you're not
    picky about the make, model, color.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor
    > <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    > >as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    > >using this archaic method I don't know.
    >
    > Nobody "insists" on it, is simply an additional feature...
    > if you don't want to use it, don't. It'd probably cost more
    > to redesign the whole thing than to just leave the jack
    > there, after all CDROM and RW drives have been pretty near
    > free-after-rebate for a couple years now, if you're not
    > picky about the make, model, color.

    It says CD but you can attach other things to it. Like say an All-in-Wonder
    and leave the external line in for something else.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
    >Palme says...
    >> I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    >> cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
    >> connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    >> analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
    >>
    >Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
    >need has a white plug on one end.
    >
    >OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    >as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    >using this archaic method I don't know.

    I suppose you could listen to an audio CD via the analogue output of
    your slave CD-ROM drive at the same time as you are burning a DVD on
    the master drive. This would avoid any contention issues on the IDE
    channel, and would not place additional burden on the CPU.

    - Franc Zabkar
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Yes, I've been doing some reading and found that out. I'll have to try it to
    see if I can still play audio cd's without it though.

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
    > Palme says...
    > > I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    > > cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the
    cd-in 2
    > > connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    > > analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
    > >
    > Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
    > need has a white plug on one end.
    >
    > OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    > as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    > using this archaic method I don't know.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Well, I wasn't sure if I'd be listening to an audio cd, but there is always
    the possibility...

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
    > >Palme says...
    > >> I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    > >> cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the
    cd-in 2
    > >> connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    > >> analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
    > >>
    > >Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
    > >need has a white plug on one end.
    > >
    > >OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    > >as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    > >using this archaic method I don't know.
    >
    > I suppose you could listen to an audio CD via the analogue output of
    > your slave CD-ROM drive at the same time as you are burning a DVD on
    > the master drive. This would avoid any contention issues on the IDE
    > channel, and would not place additional burden on the CPU.
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Howdy!

    "Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    > cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in
    2
    > connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    > analog cable that comes with the optical drive?

    The small one is for the "Mitsumi" type connector, the larger one
    for the standard MPC connector.

    They're both wired in parallel, so it's not two CD drives, but two
    connectors for CD drives.

    *has a K7S5A non-pro with the same setup on it*

    RwP
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Howdy!

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
    > as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
    > using this archaic method I don't know.

    Because that way I don't have time-critical audio data going up and
    down my IDE bus, nor into and out of RAM.

    Although, to be honest, I actually place my audio CDs into my Teac
    CD player connected to my stereo.

    RwP
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <ralphp@techie.com> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
    > > cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the
    cd-in
    > 2
    > > connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
    > > analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
    >
    > The small one is for the "Mitsumi" type connector, the larger one
    > for the standard MPC connector.

    Mitsumi. Hmmm. Thanks.

Homebuilt Hardware CD-Rom Systems