Mobo CD Audio Bridge

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 6:34:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
analog cable that comes with the optical drive?

thanks

More about : mobo audio bridge

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 9:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:34:18 GMT, "Craig Palme"
<capalme@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
>cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
>connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
>analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
>
>thanks

No you will have to use a hammer.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 2:49:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
Palme says...
> I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
> cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
> connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
> analog cable that comes with the optical drive?

Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
need has a white plug on one end.

OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
using this archaic method I don't know.

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 2:49:24 PM

Conor wrote:

> In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
> Palme says...
>
>>I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
>>cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
>>connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
>>analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
>>

> Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
> need has a white plug on one end.

No, he simply needs to plug it into the one that fits the cable he's got.
*IF* he had the cable with the white plug then he'd plug it into the other one.

> OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
> as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
> using this archaic method I don't know.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 12:46:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor
<conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

>OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
>as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
>using this archaic method I don't know.

Nobody "insists" on it, is simply an additional feature...
if you don't want to use it, don't. It'd probably cost more
to redesign the whole thing than to just leave the jack
there, after all CDROM and RW drives have been pretty near
free-after-rebate for a couple years now, if you're not
picky about the make, model, color.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 3:02:42 AM

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor
> <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
> >as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
> >using this archaic method I don't know.
>
> Nobody "insists" on it, is simply an additional feature...
> if you don't want to use it, don't. It'd probably cost more
> to redesign the whole thing than to just leave the jack
> there, after all CDROM and RW drives have been pretty near
> free-after-rebate for a couple years now, if you're not
> picky about the make, model, color.

It says CD but you can attach other things to it. Like say an All-in-Wonder
and leave the external line in for something else.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 10:49:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
>Palme says...
>> I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
>> cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in 2
>> connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
>> analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
>>
>Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
>need has a white plug on one end.
>
>OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
>as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
>using this archaic method I don't know.

I suppose you could listen to an audio CD via the analogue output of
your slave CD-ROM drive at the same time as you are burning a DVD on
the master drive. This would avoid any contention issues on the IDE
channel, and would not place additional burden on the CPU.

- Franc Zabkar
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 12:40:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yes, I've been doing some reading and found that out. I'll have to try it to
see if I can still play audio cd's without it though.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
> Palme says...
> > I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
> > cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the
cd-in 2
> > connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
> > analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
> >
> Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
> need has a white plug on one end.
>
> OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
> as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
> using this archaic method I don't know.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 12:40:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Well, I wasn't sure if I'd be listening to an audio cd, but there is always
the possibility...

"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:23 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
> >In article <_Ezmd.29495$Qv5.4400@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Craig
> >Palme says...
> >> I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
> >> cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the
cd-in 2
> >> connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
> >> analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
> >>
> >Yep. You've got an analogue cable that has identical ends. THe one you
> >need has a white plug on one end.
> >
> >OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
> >as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
> >using this archaic method I don't know.
>
> I suppose you could listen to an audio CD via the analogue output of
> your slave CD-ROM drive at the same time as you are burning a DVD on
> the master drive. This would avoid any contention issues on the IDE
> channel, and would not place additional burden on the CPU.
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2004 1:18:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Howdy!

"Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
> cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the cd-in
2
> connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
> analog cable that comes with the optical drive?

The small one is for the "Mitsumi" type connector, the larger one
for the standard MPC connector.

They're both wired in parallel, so it's not two CD drives, but two
connectors for CD drives.

*has a K7S5A non-pro with the same setup on it*

RwP
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2004 1:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Howdy!

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> OTOH, you don't actually need to use an audio cable to play an audio CD
> as its read from the data on the IDE channel. Quite why they insist on
> using this archaic method I don't know.

Because that way I don't have time-critical audio data going up and
down my IDE bus, nor into and out of RAM.

Although, to be honest, I actually place my audio CDs into my Teac
CD player connected to my stereo.

RwP
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2004 4:31:22 AM

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <ralphp@techie.com> wrote in message
> Howdy!
>
> "Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've got this ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard. The cd-in connectors, with the
> > cd-in 1 connector the pin arrangement is slightly narrower than the
cd-in
> 2
> > connector. Is there a different cable for that other than the standard
> > analog cable that comes with the optical drive?
>
> The small one is for the "Mitsumi" type connector, the larger one
> for the standard MPC connector.

Mitsumi. Hmmm. Thanks.
!