How to run 2 computers wirelessly from 20+ feet away from ..

Hi,

I just had my cable internet connection shifted to (my bedroom) 20 or more feet
away from my cable modem (in my TV room). The RG-59 wire in the wall is giving a
signal of about -10db at 591 Mhz, @ channel 85 on the TV spectrum. So using an
internet splitter with the TV connections is out, and a second cable outlet is
being used for the interent; and now my TV and internet are recieving much
better signal strengths than before.

My question is, how do I get rid of this 20+ foot cable running through my
hallway? I expect to get a second computer in my TV room in the future, which is
where the first one running Win 98SE resides now. I have a notion that having
the modem in my bedroom with an Access Point using the BuffaloTech stuff may
still not provide security. I am confused about what to do. Since wireless
routers can only hook up one computer at a time to the internet via wireless
signals (is that true?), how do I hook up two computers wirelessly to a modem
20+ feet away (provided the modem was moved 20+ feet away, to the bedroom)?

Mary

No, it's not true. You can hook up several wireless computers to access the
Internet by using a wireless router. The router has to be at the cable modem
and when you install it, you use a wired ethernet connection to set it up,
but then you can go wireless and use the latest WPA2 security. Just make sure
you get a WPA capable router.

"Cymbal Man Freq." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just had my cable internet connection shifted to (my bedroom) 20 or more feet
> away from my cable modem (in my TV room). The RG-59 wire in the wall is giving a
> signal of about -10db at 591 Mhz, @ channel 85 on the TV spectrum. So using an
> internet splitter with the TV connections is out, and a second cable outlet is
> being used for the interent; and now my TV and internet are recieving much
> better signal strengths than before.
>
> My question is, how do I get rid of this 20+ foot cable running through my
> hallway? I expect to get a second computer in my TV room in the future, which is
> where the first one running Win 98SE resides now. I have a notion that having
> the modem in my bedroom with an Access Point using the BuffaloTech stuff may
> still not provide security. I am confused about what to do. Since wireless
> routers can only hook up one computer at a time to the internet via wireless
> signals (is that true?), how do I hook up two computers wirelessly to a modem
> 20+ feet away (provided the modem was moved 20+ feet away, to the bedroom)?

lem

The cable modem needs to be directly connected to the cable. There's no getting
around that. However, you can connect the cable modem to a wireless router and then
connect two (or more) computers wirelessly (both to each other and to the Internet
via the cable modem). Yes, there are potential security issues, but they can be
dealt with. And it would highly desirable if at least one computer was close enough
to the wireless router to connect to it via Ethernet cable (most wireless routers
include several ports for Ethernet connections). Generally it is not recommended
that a wireless router be configured through a wireless connection.

See http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless for much info, including security issues

"Cymbal Man Freq." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just had my cable internet connection shifted to (my bedroom) 20 or more feet
> away from my cable modem (in my TV room). The RG-59 wire in the wall is giving a
> signal of about -10db at 591 Mhz, @ channel 85 on the TV spectrum. So using an
> internet splitter with the TV connections is out, and a second cable outlet is
> being used for the interent; and now my TV and internet are recieving much
> better signal strengths than before.
>
> My question is, how do I get rid of this 20+ foot cable running through my
> hallway? I expect to get a second computer in my TV room in the future, which is
> where the first one running Win 98SE resides now. I have a notion that having
> the modem in my bedroom with an Access Point using the BuffaloTech stuff may
> still not provide security. I am confused about what to do. Since wireless
> routers can only hook up one computer at a time to the internet via wireless
> signals (is that true?), how do I hook up two computers wirelessly to a modem
> 20+ feet away (provided the modem was moved 20+ feet away, to the bedroom)?

Cymbal Man

You have not been advised correctly.

Get a Wireless Firewall Router and plug your cable modem into it. Fit
connectors, like D-Link, to the computers and set up your Wireless network.
All computers on the network can be configured to use the cable network.

The Netgear Super AG WGU 624 which has a good transmission range and two
simultaneous wireless streams for streaming to media players etc. You must
configure the firewall appropriately
Uncle John