Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??

Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??

Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.

And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.

I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.

I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
to 700 with postage.

Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?

So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?

Just confused, byt the way iam upgrading from a 9600 pro which has
served me well, right up untiill Doom 3 then it kind of showed its
lack of power :(

Thanks for any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9800 mobile barton 5ghz good match

    In article <0cepp0peisrr566stdrrtu7uked8ptfaa5@4ax.com>, The Other Guy.
    says...

    > Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??
    >
    > Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.
    >
    > And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
    > GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
    > would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.
    >
    > I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
    > or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.
    >
    > I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
    > 650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
    > to 700 with postage.
    >

    > Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?
    >

    > So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
    > suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?

    I'm running a Barton 2500 with Radeon 9800SE, not Pro, and I run
    everything at 1280x1024 except for Doom 3 which needs the res dropping
    to 1024x768 BUT as a 9800Pro is twice as fast, you'll have no issues.

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:02:41 +1100, The Other Guy.
    <2221@1.com> wrote:

    >Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??
    >
    >Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.
    >
    >And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
    >GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
    >would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.
    >
    >I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
    >or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.
    >
    >I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
    >650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
    >to 700 with postage.
    >

    >Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?
    >

    >So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
    >suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?
    >
    >Just confused, byt the way iam upgrading from a 9600 pro which has
    >served me well, right up untiill Doom 3 then it kind of showed its
    >lack of power :(

    Nothing is really worth the extra $$$, bang for buck wise,
    unless you can wait a bit for a deal on a 6600GT or 6800NU.
    Rumors around here are that they'll be dropping to around
    $200 for Black Friday sales. The 6600 also has the
    MPEG2/4/WMV decoder (& encoder?) working, while 6800 has at
    least the MPEG2, currently speculation is that 6800 may not
    ever get MPEG4/WMV working contrary to inital nVidia spec.

    Either way, no the x800 is definitely not worth the extra
    for a Barton CPU, unless it's REALLY important to you to run
    AA4/AF8 for as long as possilbe... towards the end of the
    card's viability you'd probably be disabling or dropping
    those settings down a few notches for better performance
    and/or replacing them again. IMO, AA4 & AF8 are a bit
    overrated though, AA2 and next higher resolution often look
    better to me.

    If you're into overclocking (as it would seem considering
    the Barton @ 2.5), I'd get the 6800 NU when it hits a good
    price-point/sale, then o'c it... don't know what the market
    is like for those in AU though.

    I think ill just bit the bullet and get the 6800GT, it will last me
    the longest time, before ihave to upgrade, and i can have my AA and
    AF.

    Thanks.

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:46:16 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:02:41 +1100, The Other Guy.
    ><2221@1.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??
    >>
    >>Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.
    >>
    >>And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
    >>GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
    >>would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.
    >>
    >>I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
    >>or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.
    >>
    >>I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
    >>650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
    >>to 700 with postage.
    >>

    >>Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?
    >>

    >>So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
    >>suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?
    >>
    >>Just confused, byt the way iam upgrading from a 9600 pro which has
    >>served me well, right up untiill Doom 3 then it kind of showed its
    >>lack of power :(
    >
    >Nothing is really worth the extra $$$, bang for buck wise,
    >unless you can wait a bit for a deal on a 6600GT or 6800NU.
    >Rumors around here are that they'll be dropping to around
    >$200 for Black Friday sales. The 6600 also has the
    >MPEG2/4/WMV decoder (& encoder?) working, while 6800 has at
    >least the MPEG2, currently speculation is that 6800 may not
    >ever get MPEG4/WMV working contrary to inital nVidia spec.
    >
    >Either way, no the x800 is definitely not worth the extra
    >for a Barton CPU, unless it's REALLY important to you to run
    >AA4/AF8 for as long as possilbe... towards the end of the
    >card's viability you'd probably be disabling or dropping
    >those settings down a few notches for better performance
    >and/or replacing them again. IMO, AA4 & AF8 are a bit
    >overrated though, AA2 and next higher resolution often look
    >better to me.
    >
    >If you're into overclocking (as it would seem considering
    >the Barton @ 2.5), I'd get the 6800 NU when it hits a good
    >price-point/sale, then o'c it... don't know what the market
    >is like for those in AU though.

Homebuilt Mobile Radeon Systems