Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 5:02:41 AM

Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??

Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.

And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.

I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.

I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
to 700 with postage.

Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?

So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?

Just confused, byt the way iam upgrading from a 9600 pro which has
served me well, right up untiill Doom 3 then it kind of showed its
lack of power :(

Thanks for any help.

More about : radeon 9800 pro mobile barton 5ghz good match

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 5:02:42 AM

In article <0cepp0peisrr566stdrrtu7uked8ptfaa5@4ax.com>, The Other Guy.
says...

> Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??
>
> Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.
>
> And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
> GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
> would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.
>
> I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
> or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.
>
> I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
> 650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
> to 700 with postage.
>

> Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?
>

> So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
> suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?

I'm running a Barton 2500 with Radeon 9800SE, not Pro, and I run
everything at 1280x1024 except for Doom 3 which needs the res dropping
to 1024x768 BUT as a 9800Pro is twice as fast, you'll have no issues.

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 5:02:42 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:02:41 +1100, The Other Guy.
<2221@1.com> wrote:

>Radeon 9800 Pro and Mobile barton at 2.5ghz good match ??
>
>Iam not intending to buy a 64bit cpu untill the dual cores come out.
>
>And also iam not going to spend 700 bucks Australian on a x800 or 6800
>GT video card. All i wish to know how long do you think a 9800 pro
>would last me before i am forced to upgrade ??.
>
>I wish to run my games in atleast 1024 by 768 and with AA 4 and AF 8
>or close to that, but still get decent frame rates.
>
>I can get a 9800 Pro at 329 australian and a x800 pro is 700 dollars
>650 cheapest if i order off the net and even then it would be closer
>to 700 with postage.
>

>Is the x800 worth the extra 371 dollars, bang for buck wise ?
>

>So do you think i should got 9800 pro ?? or x800 or 6800 GT as i
>suppose they would last longer performance wise in the long run ?
>
>Just confused, byt the way iam upgrading from a 9600 pro which has
>served me well, right up untiill Doom 3 then it kind of showed its
>lack of power :(

Nothing is really worth the extra $$$, bang for buck wise,
unless you can wait a bit for a deal on a 6600GT or 6800NU.
Rumors around here are that they'll be dropping to around
$200 for Black Friday sales. The 6600 also has the
MPEG2/4/WMV decoder (& encoder?) working, while 6800 has at
least the MPEG2, currently speculation is that 6800 may not
ever get MPEG4/WMV working contrary to inital nVidia spec.

Either way, no the x800 is definitely not worth the extra
for a Barton CPU, unless it's REALLY important to you to run
AA4/AF8 for as long as possilbe... towards the end of the
card's viability you'd probably be disabling or dropping
those settings down a few notches for better performance
and/or replacing them again. IMO, AA4 & AF8 are a bit
overrated though, AA2 and next higher resolution often look
better to me.

If you're into overclocking (as it would seem considering
the Barton @ 2.5), I'd get the 6800 NU when it hits a good
price-point/sale, then o'c it... don't know what the market
is like for those in AU though.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 4:53:38 PM

I think ill just bit the bullet and get the 6800GT, it will last me
the longest time, before ihave to upgrade, and i can have my AA and
AF.

Thanks.

!