Heat! Heat! Heat? I think...

I just upgraded my home built computer. This is what I have in it right
now...

*Matsonic Mainboard, MS8177C
*Sempron 2500
*Maxtor 40gb, 5400rpm
*Nvidia GeForce 5700, 256mb
*HP 4x4x24 CD-R/W
*Intel Chipset 56k Modem
*Coolermaster Processor Fan (5k rpms)
*Case Fan, 2500 rpms
*550w PS

I have the sides of the case off, I have a box fan pointing into it, and
yet when the processor really gets going, the system restarts. It
happens every time I get into playing a 3d intensive video game. I can't
figure this out. I just upgraded some of the parts and thats when this
started. I upgraded the Mobo, Processor, Video card and thats it. I've
switched out the video card for a known good one, so I know thats fine.

Even if I'm just browsing webpages, it'll restart after awhile. And, of
course, the longer it runs, the quicker it does its restart after a
restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related. There are no funny
noises coming out of the box; no drives rattling, no fans grinding,
nothing. I just applied a good dollop of thermal paste onto the
processor (not exactly sure what the real term is) core (the copper
colored piece in the middle of the processor) making sure not to apply
too much.

I have a firewall running (sygate) and a up to date antivirus (panda),
and I'm current on all my patches. Thats why I'm also 99% sure that its
not a virus or a hack of some sort. To all appearences, its heat related.

Nothing I'm doing is seemingly solving this problem. Any help?

Yours, Fringe4

> restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related. There are no funny
> noises coming out of the box; no drives rattling, no fans grinding,
> nothing. I just applied a good dollop of thermal paste onto the
> processor (not exactly sure what the real term is) core (the copper
> colored piece in the middle of the processor) making sure not to apply
> too much.

Not sure what a 'good dollop" is but it should be a very thin layer. All
you want to do is fill in the microscopic gaps between the processor and the
heat sink. Maybe you did put too much on it. The compound does not conduct
heat very well, just beter than the air in the small gaps. Too much is
worse than none at all.

Dee

Fringe4 wrote:

> I just upgraded my home built computer. This is what I have in it right
> now...
>
> *Matsonic Mainboard, MS8177C
> *Sempron 2500
> *Maxtor 40gb, 5400rpm
> *Nvidia GeForce 5700, 256mb
> *HP 4x4x24 CD-R/W
> *Intel Chipset 56k Modem
> *Coolermaster Processor Fan (5k rpms)
> *Case Fan, 2500 rpms
> *550w PS
>
> I have the sides of the case off, I have a box fan pointing into it, and
> yet when the processor really gets going, the system restarts. It
> happens every time I get into playing a 3d intensive video game. I can't
> figure this out. I just upgraded some of the parts and thats when this
> started. I upgraded the Mobo, Processor, Video card and thats it. I've
> switched out the video card for a known good one, so I know thats fine.
>
> Even if I'm just browsing webpages, it'll restart after awhile. And, of
> course, the longer it runs, the quicker it does its restart after a
> restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related. There are no funny
> noises coming out of the box; no drives rattling, no fans grinding,
> nothing. I just applied a good dollop of thermal paste onto the
> processor (not exactly sure what the real term is) core (the copper
> colored piece in the middle of the processor) making sure not to apply
> too much.
>
> I have a firewall running (sygate) and a up to date antivirus (panda),
> and I'm current on all my patches. Thats why I'm also 99% sure that its
> not a virus or a hack of some sort. To all appearences, its heat related.
>
> Nothing I'm doing is seemingly solving this problem. Any help?
>
> Yours, Fringe4

Do you have the latest BIOS update, version 040715, dated 2004-07-15, to
support your Sempron CPU?

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Run some temp monitoring software to see if it really is heat related.
I suggest Motherboard Monitor (freeware) as this gives CPU diode temps
which will give the best indication of a heat related issue.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Simple check: feel the heatsink. Is it warm to touch? If its cold then
its not working as well as it should do, this might be your problem.

HTH

Harry

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:53:58 GMT, Fringe4 <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I just upgraded my home built computer. This is what I have in it right
>now...
>
>*Matsonic Mainboard, MS8177C
>*Sempron 2500
>*Maxtor 40gb, 5400rpm
>*Nvidia GeForce 5700, 256mb
>*HP 4x4x24 CD-R/W
>*Intel Chipset 56k Modem
>*Coolermaster Processor Fan (5k rpms)
>*Case Fan, 2500 rpms
>*550w PS
>
>I have the sides of the case off, I have a box fan pointing into it, and
>yet when the processor really gets going, the system restarts. It
>happens every time I get into playing a 3d intensive video game. I can't
>figure this out. I just upgraded some of the parts and thats when this
>started. I upgraded the Mobo, Processor, Video card and thats it. I've
>switched out the video card for a known good one, so I know thats fine.
>
>Even if I'm just browsing webpages, it'll restart after awhile. And, of
>course, the longer it runs, the quicker it does its restart after a
>restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related. There are no funny
>noises coming out of the box; no drives rattling, no fans grinding,
>nothing. I just applied a good dollop of thermal paste onto the
>processor (not exactly sure what the real term is) core (the copper
>colored piece in the middle of the processor) making sure not to apply
>too much.
>
>I have a firewall running (sygate) and a up to date antivirus (panda),
>and I'm current on all my patches. Thats why I'm also 99% sure that its
>not a virus or a hack of some sort. To all appearences, its heat related.
>
>Nothing I'm doing is seemingly solving this problem. Any help?
>
>Yours, Fringe4

Ah, I'll check that. Yeah, I put like ... what I guess you can say two
drops on it. Enough for it to be much more than "a think layer".

Thanks!

Yours, Fringe4

Ralph Mowery wrote:
>>restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related. There are no funny
>>noises coming out of the box; no drives rattling, no fans grinding,
>>nothing. I just applied a good dollop of thermal paste onto the
>>processor (not exactly sure what the real term is) core (the copper
>>colored piece in the middle of the processor) making sure not to apply
>>too much.
>

> Not sure what a 'good dollop" is but it should be a very thin layer. All
> you want to do is fill in the microscopic gaps between the processor and the
> heat sink. Maybe you did put too much on it. The compound does not conduct
> heat very well, just beter than the air in the small gaps. Too much is
> worse than none at all.

Yeah, I did that after I posted my original message actually.

It was running a pretty consistent 96f even while running webpages. I
was too tired to boot it into a video game to try, but I'm going to try
that today.

I booted it up this morning after having it sit all night and it started
at 80f and has worked its way up to 86f and held steady there for over
an hour. I'll see what it does under load in a few minutes.

Yours, Fringe4

Dee wrote:

> Do you have the latest BIOS update, version 040715, dated 2004-07-15, to
> support your Sempron CPU?

I'll check that, although I must admit I'm skittish about flashing the
bios usually.

Yours, Fringe4

I ditched Motherboard Monitor as it didn't have my exact mobo model in
its specs. I downloaded speedfan 4.17 instead. I read some good reviews
on it, and it automatically detected my mobo hardware.

Its reading, for both the processor, and the harddrive, a fairly
consistent 95F, but under load, the processor goes up to 101F. Case temp
has been about 86F. In all circumstances, it says the temps are right on
target, or lower than usual. But, it still gives all the signs of being
a heat problem. What tops if off is that if I keep the box fan on it, it
runs fair. Once I turn the box fan off... even though the showing temps
remain in the "good" area, the computer starts to lag, and then I get a
BSOD.

Yours, Fringe4

"Fringe4" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I ditched Motherboard Monitor as it didn't have my exact mobo model in its
>specs. I downloaded speedfan 4.17 instead. I read some good reviews on it,
>and it automatically detected my mobo hardware.
>
> Its reading, for both the processor, and the harddrive, a fairly
> consistent 95F, but under load, the processor goes up to 101F. Case temp
> has been about 86F. In all circumstances, it says the temps are right on
> target, or lower than usual. But, it still gives all the signs of being a
> heat problem. What tops if off is that if I keep the box fan on it, it
> runs fair. Once I turn the box fan off... even though the showing temps
> remain in the "good" area, the computer starts to lag, and then I get a
> BSOD.
>
> Yours, Fringe4

Your temps are fine. (as long as they are f. and not c.) You might check the
memory. If you have 2 sticks, try them one at a time and see if there are
any changes.

Ed

> *550w PS

Would that be a no-name PSU?

Even with your fairly minimal system it could be enough to push it over the
edge.

Also, download memtest86 (google for the site) its free, and will scan your
memory for errors.

hamman

Fringe4 <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<afdnd.29788$KJ6.18151@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I just upgraded my home built computer. This is what I have in it right
> now...
>
> *Matsonic Mainboard, MS8177C
> *Sempron 2500
> *Maxtor 40gb, 5400rpm
> *Nvidia GeForce 5700, 256mb
> *HP 4x4x24 CD-R/W
> *Intel Chipset 56k Modem
> *Coolermaster Processor Fan (5k rpms)
> *Case Fan, 2500 rpms
> *550w PS
>
> I have the sides of the case off, I have a box fan pointing into it, and
> yet when the processor really gets going, the system restarts. It
> happens every time I get into playing a 3d intensive video game. I can't
> figure this out. I just upgraded some of the parts and thats when this
> started. I upgraded the Mobo, Processor, Video card and thats it. I've
> switched out the video card for a known good one, so I know thats fine.

What were the mobo-CPU-vidcard you replaced ? I'm asking because
someone mentioned the PSU. A system I built for a friend has been
running a 2600+ XP, 120GB 7.2krpm, 512MB, FX5700, etc. on a 300W PSU
for months, and if the same 550W PSU was doing alright with your
former system, it seems to be OK as far as power rating is concerned.
But it won't hurt to do a substitution.

> Even if I'm just browsing webpages, it'll restart after awhile. And, of
> course, the longer it runs, the quicker it does its restart after a
> restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related. There are no funny

It really sounds heat related, but which component ? It doesn't have
to be the processor. Metal expands and contacts loosen. Have you tried
reseating the RAM stick(s) ? I've had two cases where the 5-volt pin
on the ATX power supply connector were loose and caused crashes, with
increasing frequency as the system warmed up.

In another couple of cases with similar symptoms, it was the 4-pin
molex connector supplying the hard disk. The suggestion to try
memtest86 is a good one, the memory could be having heat-related
problems too.

Fringe4 <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<afdnd.29788$KJ6.18151@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> I just upgraded my home built computer.
>
> *Matsonic Mainboard, MS8177C *Sempron 2500
> *Maxtor 40gb, 5400rpm *Nvidia GeForce 5700, 256mb
> *HP 4x4x24 CD-R/W *Coolermaster Processor Fan (5k rpms)
> *Case Fan, 2500 rpms *550w PS
>
> I have the sides of the case off, I have a box fan pointing into it, and
> yet when the processor really gets going, the system restarts. It
> happens every time I get into playing a 3d intensive video game

> Even if I'm just browsing webpages, it'll restart after awhile. And, of
> course, the longer it runs, the quicker it does its restart after a
> restart. Thats why I'm 95% sure its heat related.

What power supply do you have? 550W means nothing without running
tests or knowing the brand since some are grossly overrated and can't
output even 300W. I suspect the supply rather than heat elsewhere
because 95C for the CPU and 86F for the case interior are very, very
cool (check temperatures in BIOS since Speedfan or MBM may be
inaccurate). When a supply is overloaded, its voltages will drop, and
the only trustworthy voltage readings are those taken with a meter.

Zotin Khuma wrote:

> It really sounds heat related, but which component ? It doesn't have
> to be the processor.

Yeah, I started to get that inkling a few days ago while watching my
temps. The hard drive would go to 95F and then sometimes 100F and
instantly restart the system. I went to Fry's Electronics and asked a A+
tech guy there what usual operating temp for a 5400rpm hard drive was.
He told me it was 75F; which meant I was 20 degrees over. I bought a $10
hard drive fan, and everything seems to be running great now! HDD temp
floats about 77F and never has peaked above 82F since I bought it.

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with my problem. This is
just another incident where my knowledge grows.

Now, if this doesn't actually solve the problem, I'll be pissed. heh.

Yours, Fringe4

> Yeah, I started to get that inkling a few days ago while watching my temps. The hard drive would go to 95F and then sometimes 100F and instantly restart the system. I went to Fry's Electronics and asked a A+ tech guy there what usual operating temp for a 5400rpm hard drive was. He told me it was 75F; which meant I was 20 degrees over. I bought a $10 hard drive fan, and everything seems to be running great now! HDD temp floats about 77F and never has peaked above 82F since I bought it.

I'm glad you solved your problem by buying the fan. That's the
main thing. But this guy at Frys was full of bullshit. How can the
operating temperature of a harddrive be 75 F, when in summer in
many places the ambient room temperature is above 75 F? It really
doesn't make any sense, does it? My own feeling is that 100 F
would be fine for a harddrive, and shouldn't produce any problems
at all.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:50:05 GMT, Fringe4
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Zotin Khuma wrote:
>>
>> It really sounds heat related, but which component ? It doesn't have
>> to be the processor.
>
>Yeah, I started to get that inkling a few days ago while watching my
>temps. The hard drive would go to 95F and then sometimes 100F and
>instantly restart the system. I went to Fry's Electronics and asked a A+
>tech guy there what usual operating temp for a 5400rpm hard drive was.
>He told me it was 75F; which meant I was 20 degrees over.

Well that's nonsense though, typical room temp is in the
neighboorhood of 68-72F, there is NO SYSTEM that has the
drive chip at only a half-dozen degrees F over ambient room
temp. In fact most cases are hotter than that, the drive
would be hotter than that even if it weren't plugged in,
being powered on some.

>I bought a $10
>hard drive fan, and everything seems to be running great now! HDD temp
>floats about 77F and never has peaked above 82F since I bought it.

That sounds like an external sensor on the PCB to be @ 77F.
Hard drives are specs far beyond 95F from every
manufacturer. I"m wondering if perhaps the "hard drive fan"
was resulting in more flow in areas other than the drive.

>I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with my problem. This is
>just another incident where my knowledge grows.
>
>Now, if this doesn't actually solve the problem, I'll be pissed. heh.

Higher HDD temp may be a symptom of chassis heat retention
in general, poor flow rates. It is good though to lower
drive temps.