Is an installed dead cd disk drive hurting my computer?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 21, 2004 1:43:04 AM

I replaced a disk drive that I broke with a dead disk drive from another
deadish computer to keep the dust out. I had broken the door of the
replaced
disk drive with my shin and it wouldn't close again so dust was getting
in the pc. Now my computer is acting really slow. I just have to hit F1
when I boot up because the hardware isn't being recognized. I'd like to
keep this dead disk drive in there to block the dust until I am ready
to buy a new disk drive. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
Thanks!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2004 1:43:05 AM

ggg wrote:

> I replaced a disk drive that I broke with a dead disk drive from another
> deadish computer to keep the dust out. I had broken the door of the
> replaced
> disk drive with my shin and it wouldn't close again so dust was getting
> in the pc. Now my computer is acting really slow. I just have to hit F1
> when I boot up because the hardware isn't being recognized. I'd like to
> keep this dead disk drive in there to block the dust until I am ready
> to buy a new disk drive. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
> Thanks!

Leave it in the hole but disconnect it.
November 23, 2004 2:05:18 AM

David Maynard wrote:
> ggg wrote:
>
>> I replaced a disk drive that I broke with a dead disk drive from another
>> deadish computer to keep the dust out. I had broken the door of the
>> replaced
>> disk drive with my shin and it wouldn't close again so dust was getting
>> in the pc. Now my computer is acting really slow. I just have to hit F1
>> when I boot up because the hardware isn't being recognized. I'd like to
>> keep this dead disk drive in there to block the dust until I am ready
>> to buy a new disk drive. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
>> Thanks!
>>

> Leave it in the hole but disconnect it.

Thank you. I disconnected it but still have to press F1 when I startup
the pc. I think this should speed up things anyway.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2004 2:05:19 AM

ggg wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> ggg wrote:
>>
>>> I replaced a disk drive that I broke with a dead disk drive from another
>>> deadish computer to keep the dust out. I had broken the door of the
>>> replaced
>>> disk drive with my shin and it wouldn't close again so dust was getting
>>> in the pc. Now my computer is acting really slow. I just have to hit F1
>>> when I boot up because the hardware isn't being recognized. I'd like to
>>> keep this dead disk drive in there to block the dust until I am ready
>>> to buy a new disk drive. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Leave it in the hole but disconnect it.
>>

> Thank you. I disconnected it but still have to press F1 when I startup
> the pc. I think this should speed up things anyway.

Remove the BIOS setting for it, as it's no longer there.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2004 5:17:03 AM

ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Oguod.11263$Yh2.3793109@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> David Maynard wrote:
> > ggg wrote:
> >
> >> I replaced a disk drive that I broke with a dead disk drive from another
> >> deadish computer to keep the dust out. I had broken the door of the
> >> replaced
> >> disk drive with my shin and it wouldn't close again so dust was getting
> >> in the pc. Now my computer is acting really slow. I just have to hit F1
> >> when I boot up because the hardware isn't being recognized. I'd like to
> >> keep this dead disk drive in there to block the dust until I am ready
> >> to buy a new disk drive. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> > Leave it in the hole but disconnect it.
> >

> Thank you. I disconnected it but still have to press F1 when I startup
> the pc. I think this should speed up things anyway.

Check the BIOS. It's probably set to 'manual' on the IDE channel where
your old CD drive used to be, with the ID of that drive entered. The
BIOS expects to see that drive but halts when it doesn't. Set it to
'Auto' or 'None'.
November 24, 2004 12:43:40 AM

Zotin Khuma wrote:
> ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Oguod.11263$Yh2.3793109@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
>
>>David Maynard wrote:

>>>Leave it in the hole but disconnect it.
>>>

>>Thank you. I disconnected it but still have to press F1 when I startup
>>the pc. I think this should speed up things anyway.
>

> Check the BIOS. It's probably set to 'manual' on the IDE channel where
> your old CD drive used to be, with the ID of that drive entered. The
> BIOS expects to see that drive but halts when it doesn't. Set it to
> 'Auto' or 'None'.

Thank you both. I changed Auto to Off.
!