Good average gaming display card

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2004 5:12:14 PM

Hi all.
Need an advice here.
Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2004 5:12:15 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:12:14 +0800, "Mohd Imran Ismail"
<webmaster@mohdimran.com> wrote:

>Hi all.
>Need an advice here.
>Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

Radeon is a family of cards, pick which Radeon and we could
better compare. Generally speaking a GF4 has higher
performance than anything lower than a Radeon 9600
(non-pro). GF4 is a DirectX 8 card, it is perfectly suited
for DX8 games but not modern DX9 games unless resolution is
kept relatively low (800x600-1024x768 and no FSAA or AF).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2004 5:12:15 PM

"Mohd Imran Ismail" <webmaster@mohdimran.com> wrote in news:41a1833f$1_1
@news.tm.net.my:

> Hi all.
> Need an advice here.
> Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

If possible, get a newer-generation card than the GeForce 4. I skimped a
bit a few years ago on my last build in the graphics card department for
a faster processor and other upgrades, and got the castrated MX model of
the Geforce 4. While it was an *acceptable* card in 2001, I am not
satisfied with its performance -- it can barely handle Morrowind -- and
can't run any of the newer games (Thief 3, Doom 3, HL 2, etc) at all or
at playable framerates.

I've never owned a Radeon, so can't comment there, but if you're leaning
toward Nvidia, get *at least* an FX. If you want to play anything new,
you probably won't be happy with even the non-crippeld-non-MX GeForce 4
models.

--
~sethra
Related resources

I demand that on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:12:14 +0800, Mohd Imran Ismail may or
may not have written:

> Hi all.
> Need an advice here.
> Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

Asalaamu alaikum

I have an Nvidia FX5700 which is equivalent (actually, very slightly
faster) in speed to the Geforce 4 but also has DX9 support. They are
fairly cheap to get, but it you can stretch a little higher, the FX5900
gives much better performance.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

Mohd Imran Ismail wrote:

> Hi all.
> Need an advice here.
> Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

Best card to get in the midrange is the GeForce 6600GT or the ATi 9800 Pro.
$200 is considered a midrange card, these days. The 6600GT should be
availble for AGP very soon, and I think it definitely has the edge over the
9800 Pro for the future, since it supports Pixel Shader 3.0.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2004 4:46:28 AM

Best midrange gaming card right now is the Radeon 9600XT.
--
Mac Cool
!