Good average gaming display card

Hi all.
Need an advice here.
Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?
5 answers Last reply
More about good average gaming display card

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:12:14 +0800, "Mohd Imran Ismail"
    <webmaster@mohdimran.com> wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >Need an advice here.
    >Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

    Radeon is a family of cards, pick which Radeon and we could
    better compare. Generally speaking a GF4 has higher
    performance than anything lower than a Radeon 9600
    (non-pro). GF4 is a DirectX 8 card, it is perfectly suited
    for DX8 games but not modern DX9 games unless resolution is
    kept relatively low (800x600-1024x768 and no FSAA or AF).

    "Mohd Imran Ismail" <webmaster@mohdimran.com> wrote in news:41a1833f$1_1
    @news.tm.net.my:

    > Hi all.
    > Need an advice here.
    > Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

    If possible, get a newer-generation card than the GeForce 4. I skimped a
    bit a few years ago on my last build in the graphics card department for
    a faster processor and other upgrades, and got the castrated MX model of
    the Geforce 4. While it was an *acceptable* card in 2001, I am not
    satisfied with its performance -- it can barely handle Morrowind -- and
    can't run any of the newer games (Thief 3, Doom 3, HL 2, etc) at all or
    at playable framerates.

    I've never owned a Radeon, so can't comment there, but if you're leaning
    toward Nvidia, get *at least* an FX. If you want to play anything new,
    you probably won't be happy with even the non-crippeld-non-MX GeForce 4
    models.

    --
    ~sethra

    I demand that on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:12:14 +0800, Mohd Imran Ismail may or
    may not have written:

    > Hi all.
    > Need an advice here.
    > Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

    Asalaamu alaikum

    I have an Nvidia FX5700 which is equivalent (actually, very slightly
    faster) in speed to the Geforce 4 but also has DX9 support. They are
    fairly cheap to get, but it you can stretch a little higher, the FX5900
    gives much better performance.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

    Mohd Imran Ismail wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > Need an advice here.
    > Which one is better. nVidia GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon?

    Best card to get in the midrange is the GeForce 6600GT or the ATi 9800 Pro.
    $200 is considered a midrange card, these days. The 6600GT should be
    availble for AGP very soon, and I think it definitely has the edge over the
    9800 Pro for the future, since it supports Pixel Shader 3.0.

    Best midrange gaming card right now is the Radeon 9600XT.
    --
    Mac Cool

Homebuilt Systems