CPU Cooling question

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2004 9:17:57 PM

I've got an Intel D865GBF system in the corner of my home office. It gets
warm over there I guess because there isn't much airflow in the corner.
Intel Active Monitor will alert me from time to time that the 2.5 GHz CPU
has exceeded the preset temperature limit. I've raised the warning limit to
60C (that ought to fix it :)  ) but I want to address the cooling issue. I
have the system in an old box I've had for years. It has a PS fan, a CPU
fan, and a case fan. I replaced the case fan which had gotten noisey and
slowed a bit. I need some good recommendations on CPU cooling to help fix
this problem. Thanks in advance.

More about : cpu cooling question

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2004 11:17:30 PM

jch wrote:

> I've got an Intel D865GBF system in the corner of my home office. It gets
> warm over there I guess because there isn't much airflow in the corner.
> Intel Active Monitor will alert me from time to time that the 2.5 GHz CPU
> has exceeded the preset temperature limit. I've raised the warning limit to
> 60C (that ought to fix it :)  ) but I want to address the cooling issue. I
> have the system in an old box I've had for years. It has a PS fan, a CPU
> fan, and a case fan. I replaced the case fan which had gotten noisey and
> slowed a bit. I need some good recommendations on CPU cooling to help fix
> this problem. Thanks in advance.

Is 'the' case fan on the front or the rear of the case? Because a rear
exhaust fan is more effective than a front intake.

If the 60C alarm is CPU temp then that's low for an 'alarm'. CPU Tcase
upper limit is 72C and if you're monitor is measuring the internal diode
then it would be considerably higher.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2004 8:07:17 AM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:17:57 -0500, "jch" <JCH@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I've got an Intel D865GBF system in the corner of my home office. It gets
>warm over there I guess because there isn't much airflow in the corner.
>Intel Active Monitor will alert me from time to time that the 2.5 GHz CPU
>has exceeded the preset temperature limit. I've raised the warning limit to
>60C (that ought to fix it :)  ) but I want to address the cooling issue. I
>have the system in an old box I've had for years. It has a PS fan, a CPU
>fan, and a case fan. I replaced the case fan which had gotten noisey and
>slowed a bit. I need some good recommendations on CPU cooling to help fix
>this problem. Thanks in advance.

Run the system with the cover off and a fan a foot or so
away, pointed at case. If the CPU temp stays too high in
this situation then you need a new heatsink. If it
alleviates the problem then add more case airflow instead,
THEN see if you still need the heatsink.

The reasoning here is that while the CPU temp is being
reported high, if it's due to poor case flow then the odds
are high that other parts of system are also running hot,
merely replacing the CPU heatsink then wouldn't resolve the
problem... of all parts in a system, the CPU is more
tolerant of heat that many, it is designed to be able to run
at 60C itself, but a 20C (for example) case temp rise could
be trouble for other parts like hard drive, motherboard or
video card/etc capacitors, belts on optical drives, or power
supply.
November 23, 2004 6:51:42 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:17:57 -0500, "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote:

>I've got an Intel D865GBF system in the corner of my home office. It gets
>warm over there I guess because there isn't much airflow in the corner.
>Intel Active Monitor will alert me from time to time that the 2.5 GHz CPU
>has exceeded the preset temperature limit. I've raised the warning limit to
>60C (that ought to fix it :)  ) but I want to address the cooling issue. I
>have the system in an old box I've had for years. It has a PS fan, a CPU
>fan, and a case fan. I replaced the case fan which had gotten noisey and
>slowed a bit. I need some good recommendations on CPU cooling to help fix
>this problem. Thanks in advance.

There are several things you can do. First, clean out the dust and
tidy up the wiring to allow better airflow. Make sure all the fans are
working properly and are not blocked. Replace the CPU fan/heat sink.
Until you get to these, use a table fan to blow onto your case.
Raising the temperature limit is a bit risky.
!