De-Assert CPU core voltage

Hi,
I am new to posting AND building a pc, so please be gentle !
I bought an Abit AA8 Duramax mobo.
Added a P4 3.4 CPU
Gigabyte 6600GT PCIx video card
1GB Kingston Ram, 2 Hitachi SATA drives and a BENQ DVD/CD Rom

I put it all together per the specs and tentatively hit power on.

It worked - I got in the BIOS, looked at the settings, watched the CPU Temp
(56c), etc.

I did that for aprox 20 minutes (reading book, checking settings, etc.)

Then changed boot sequence by removing floppy (I dont have one) and making
the DVD the primary

Put the Windows XP install disk in DVD

Saved + Exited BIOS

System restarted, XP install started up and started loading. However, 2-3
minutes into setup the computer powered down and the JGuru/AC2003 POST Code
indicator shows the following sequence ...

8.3 (ATX Power supply ready)
9.6 (De-Assert CPU core voltage) BEEPS at this
9F - which I cant find a definition for

This just keeps cycling around.

Can anyone tell me what De-Assert CPU core voltage means ?
Is my CPU fried ? If so, what conditions could have caused it ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Anthony

FYI
I changed the power supply.
That fixed it.