  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 26, 2004 2:53:22 PM

Would like to put together another box. I've been out of the main stream for
3plus years and don't know
the components like I did or should.
I'm looking for a box that I can serf, do some word processing, a little
this and a little that. Was thinking about a
XP 2500+ Barton as the cpu, or some other good recomendations.
Can you guys give me a bunch of opinions on a motherboard, ram, cpu, and
video card.

I have a few cases with good powe supplies, have a couple of old video cards
16meg nvida or tnt's.
If possible, I'd like to keep the investment around $250 or so. All opinions
are appreciated.

thanks,
George

More about : building opinions

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2004 5:34:43 PM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:53:22 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Would like to put together another box. I've been out of the main stream for
>3plus years and don't know
>the components like I did or should.
>I'm looking for a box that I can serf, do some word processing, a little
>this and a little that. Was thinking about a
>XP 2500+ Barton as the cpu, or some other good recomendations.
>Can you guys give me a bunch of opinions on a motherboard, ram, cpu, and
>video card.
>
>I have a few cases with good powe supplies, have a couple of old video cards
>16meg nvida or tnt's.
>If possible, I'd like to keep the investment around $250 or so. All opinions
>are appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>George

All prices from NewEgg -some one day specials ;-(

Turkey Day Blow Out!
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 55W 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM
$82.00

Tr2tt (Designed by Thermaltake) Tr2M1 CPU Cooler for Socket A/ 370, Model
"A4001D" $9.99

ABIT "NF7-S2" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU
-RETAIL $60.00

2- Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail @ $37.27 ea

Turkey Day Blow Out!
Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722580VLSA80, OEM $60.00

Your psu
Your gpu
Your case

Total $286.53

regards

Dud
--

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway
Anonymous

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:34:43 -0500, Duddits <Duddits@Dreamcatcher.com>
wrote:

>Turkey Day Blow Out!
>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 55W 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM
>$82.00

Should have said
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, 266 FSB, 512K Cache, 45 Watt - OEM $83.00
Multiplier is unlocked and will easily do 400 FSB

regards

Dud
--

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway
a b B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2004 8:40:33 PM

<staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Would like to put together another box. I've been out of the main stream for
>3plus years and don't know
>the components like I did or should.
>I'm looking for a box that I can serf, do some word processing, a little
>this and a little that. Was thinking about a
>XP 2500+ Barton as the cpu, or some other good recomendations.
>Can you guys give me a bunch of opinions on a motherboard, ram, cpu, and
>video card.
>
>I have a few cases with good powe supplies, have a couple of old video cards
>16meg nvida or tnt's.
>If possible, I'd like to keep the investment around $250 or so. All opinions
>are appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>George

$250 is a tight budget, try an Athlon XP2000 (or whatever
you can find in the ~ $50 price range. Add nForce2
motherboard with integrated video, sound, lan. nForce2
video is faster than (anything older than a Geforce 4 MX)
Add pair of 256MB PC3200 memory, 512MB total.

$50 CPU
$55 Motherboard
$75 Memory

For surfing/word-processing/etc, you wouldn't even benefit
from the higher cost of an XP2500 Barton, those are tasks
not even needing 1GHz CPU. If you dont' have a new(er) hard
drive for the system, spend the remainder of the $250 budget
on that as it'll make more difference for typical "PC" uses,
or up the memory to 768MB.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2004 12:56:52 AM

Use a Biostar M7NCG 400 and some kingston memory, buy from
www.newegg.com, as for CPU Most people can use a sempron 2400 and not
complain. This is a pretty decent budget setup, has the GeForce 4
video and runs great for most people. Thats probably about the
cheapest worth a damn system your gonna find. Myself, as of late I
really recommend going with an ATHLON 64 2800+ setup with a Socket 754
board. The new semprons that are out are sort of the replacement for
the duron. CPU prices have went up too. Bout the only decent chip out
there in the XP category is the 2700+ which will run you about $99.
All you really see below that is the sempron line, which I'm not too
crazy about. At least with the Athlon 64 2800+ you can always upgrade
later on down the road.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2004 8:38:36 AM

George:
> Can you guys give me a bunch of opinions on a motherboard, ram, cpu,
> and video card.
> If possible, I'd like to keep the investment around $250 or so.

Shuttle AN35N-Ultra Motherboard
w/ on board sound
mwave.com $67

AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 2.16 GHz (AXDA2700BOX) Retail Processor
newegg.com $99

Kingston PC-3200 512MB Value DDR
newegg.com $77

APOLLO ATI RADEON 9200SE 64MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, "Devil Monster 3
Newegg.com $39.50

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer IDE Hard Drive,

Model WD800JB, OEM $59.99 Free Shipping from newegg.com

If your power supply isn't up to the task, here is a recommended
replacement:

Sparkle 350W ATX P4/Athlon XP Ready Power Supply, Model "FSP350-60PN"
newegg.com $43
--
Mac Cool
!