testing machine after building.

Hi,

I was recently asked to build a few computers. I am famlair with
putting the machine together, but since this is for a nagging family
member I would like to ensure everything is fine before giving it to
them.

My question is, is there any software or tools that are avaiable to
test machines? to spot any time of hardware related problem? (like
bad ram, what speed the cpu is going at, etc..)

from my experince, usually problems creep up after its been build like
after its being used.

Is there anything else that you all do after building a machine to
ensure it works fine? I mean, I can build it, install xp on it and
i'm happy, but I don't want any headaches so right now i would rather
test.

Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about testing machine building

    Mark wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was recently asked to build a few computers. I am famlair with
    > putting the machine together, but since this is for a nagging family
    > member I would like to ensure everything is fine before giving it to
    > them.
    >
    > My question is, is there any software or tools that are avaiable to
    > test machines? to spot any time of hardware related problem? (like
    > bad ram, what speed the cpu is going at, etc..)

    You could try something like

    http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

    But to be honest I usually just run memtest for a good few hours
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    Followed by something nice and intensive (3DMark is a good one) overnight.
    If the machine is still alive in the morning then it is probably good to
    go.

    If you wanted to go further then there are plenty of PC diagnostic software
    utilities, but most of the good ones (http://www.pc-doctor.com/) need to be
    purchased. and to be honest they are only of real value if the burn in
    testing overnight has failed and you need to determine why.

    In article <85c87d02.0411291023.5e459cea@posting.google.com>, Mark
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was recently asked to build a few computers. I am famlair with
    > putting the machine together, but since this is for a nagging family
    > member I would like to ensure everything is fine before giving it to
    > them.
    >
    > My question is, is there any software or tools that are avaiable to
    > test machines? to spot any time of hardware related problem? (like
    > bad ram, what speed the cpu is going at, etc..)
    >
    > from my experince, usually problems creep up after its been build like
    > after its being used.
    >
    > Is there anything else that you all do after building a machine to
    > ensure it works fine? I mean, I can build it, install xp on it and
    > i'm happy, but I don't want any headaches so right now i would rather
    > test.

    You can do all the testing you want but I can guarantee they'll screw
    something up, download some malware etc that'll bring it to its knees
    and you'll get th blame with resultant telephone call.

    My rule is never, ever build for a family member. You basically end up
    giving them 24/7/365 tech support and they expect it all for free.

    --
    Conor

    Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
    first.
    It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
    shot first.

    gautam.bakshi@gmail.com (Mark) wrote in

    > Is there anything else that you all do after building a machine to
    > ensure it works fine? I mean, I can build it, install xp on it and
    > i'm happy, but I don't want any headaches so right now i would rather
    > test.

    As others said 3dmark01 / 03.

    A couple of passes of memtest whilst warmed up.

    Take a backup before handing it over..

    If the are real PITA make them limited users (although they may not be able
    to install stuff - give them a special account for installs )

    But as suggested elsewhere - make them buy PCs from someone with 24/7
    support etc..

    --
    Lordy

    "Mark" <gautam.bakshi@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was recently asked to build a few computers. I am famlair with
    > putting the machine together, but since this is for a nagging family
    > member I would like to ensure everything is fine before giving it to
    > them.
    >
    > My question is, is there any software or tools that are avaiable to
    > test machines? to spot any time of hardware related problem? (like
    > bad ram, what speed the cpu is going at, etc..)

    http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/

Homebuilt Hardware Build Systems