Where is my SATA disk?

Hello
I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
I want to install a new OS

When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
that there are no disk available.
When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why aint
XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???

PS
The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:44:02 +0100, "Arild" <arild@flobak.net> wrote:

>Hello
>I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
>It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
>I want to install a new OS
>
>When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
>that there are no disk available.
>When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why aint
>XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???
>

>PS
>The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
>The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

When you boot from XP and start the install, doesn't it pause and
prompt you to install RAID drivers? Or don't you even get that far?

nl

Arild wrote:

> Hello
> I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
> It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
> I want to install a new OS
>
> When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
> that there are no disk available.
> When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why
> aint XP capable of finding the SATA

You need to put the drivers for your disk controller (in your case VT8237,
look on MSI's website) onto a floppy disk and add these manually during the
XP installation (it will prompt for a keypress quite early on to specify
third party storage drivers)

"Arild" <arild@flobak.net> wrote in message

" ...why aint XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ??? "

Why aren't you capable of reading the following words which come up on
screen?

'Press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.'

You'll find the floppy disk in your motherboard box.

Arild wrote:
> Hello
> I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
> It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
> I want to install a new OS
>
> When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
> that there are no disk available.
> When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why aint
> XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???

It doesn't find it because it doesn't have drivers for the SATA controller.
Press F6 when setup prompts for it on the bottom line to install 3'rd party
drivers and install it from your motherboard's driver floppy.

> PS
> The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
> The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

moe

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

I have the same problem, i installed the drivers from the floppy, and
windows was able to copy the files on to it, but...when it loads, it
still says that the bios is not installed and that there is no device
selected!!!

On 3 Dec 2004 00:29:20 -0800, saadmoe@gmail.com (moe) wrote:

>I have the same problem, i installed the drivers from the floppy, and
>windows was able to copy the files on to it, but...when it loads, it
>still says that the bios is not installed and that there is no device
>selected!!!

Don't you need to set up a SATA disk in the BIOS? On my Asus A7V8X I
had to set up the SATA as one of two choices - mirrored or... whatever
the other one is. I set up mine as a second disk, rather than as a
mirror of the first. Once I was in XP I Had to use 'my
computer/manage' to see it and format it.

hth

nl

TRENDING THREADS